• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

I've been working in libraries now for over a decade, but I'm interested in applying for positions in different fields. I'm about to apply for a position as a Visitor Services Manager (essentially a retail/admissions/bookshop gig) at an art museum. I worked a similar job over a decade ago, as well as dabbling in retail for a couple of years, but I had been cutting off my resume/job history (unless asked to put everything) at 10 years because I had basically been applying only to library jobs, it was more succinct, those jobs were either temporary or not "professional," etc.

So what all of that history should I include in my resume/cover letter? For this particular job I am definitely going to expand my resume to include the museum gig, even though it was a temp position of six months, because it is a highly regarded museum whose name might draw some water. Should I carve out a sentence or paragraph in my cover letter addressing this, or should I just stick with my library stuff, counting on the committee/hiring person to realize the skills I've developed are transferable and overlap in many areas?

I've been working in libraries now for over a decade, but I'm interested in applying for positions in different fields. I'm about to apply for a position as a Visitor Services Manager (essentially a retail/admissions/bookshop gig) at an art museum. I worked a similar job over a decade ago, as well as dabbling in retail for a couple of years, but I had been cutting off my resume/job history (unless asked to put everything) at 10 years because I had basically been applying only to library jobs, it was more succinct, those jobs were either temporary or not "professional," etc.

So what all of that history should I include in my resume/cover letter? For this particular job I am definitely going to expand my resume to include the museum gig, even though it was a temp position of six months, because it is a highly regarded museum whose name might draw some water. Should I carve out a sentence or paragraph in my cover letter addressing this, or should I just stick with my library stuff, counting on the committee/hiring person to realize the skills I've developed are transferable and overlap in many areas?

I would address this with a sentence in the cover letter. Don't make a hiring manager guess. You have some experience that is relevant to the position you are applying for. Highlight it, at least a little. Since it was only a temp gig more than 10 years ago, don't over sell it, but include it.

I've been at my current employer for a long time - receiving typical small, incremental raises and excuses. We finally hired additional folks in peer positions to mine a couple of years ago, after years of my handling work for several people. I figured they were hired at higher salaries than mine, 'cause that is how things work. But, a year or so ago I accidentally learned that at least one of them was making at least 20%-25% more than me. I went to management and demanded a raise. I couldn't admit knowing what I knew and, of course, they will provide no information about what peers are making. Long story short, after a year of promises and delays and excuses I finally just received a 10% raise plus some stock that is worth another 5% or so a year over the next 4 years.

I'm happy about the raise but feeling pretty bitter about the struggle required to get it. This company is famous for waiting until people get another job and threaten to leave and then offering more money to keep them. Why don't companies realize that giving folks the least you can get away with just makes them spend their time looking for another job?

Mostly just venting but think I probably should get off my ass, hire a headhunter, and go find a new job. Problem is my field is pretty specialized and would likely require a move - which I am open to but the wife - not so much...

This is where glass door is huge.

Coming up at a crossroads here. Basically if I don't get the Asheville job it means another year in the DC area at least. Two reasons why: our landlords are selling their place (we're in the basement), so we'll be in need of a new place to live ASAP so it's pointless to keep looking in NC as places take forever to hire and my wife is an educator so we're running out of time to find her a job for the new year down in NC.

Really not looking forward to moving out to the burbs but we'll need to because wife's school is moving out to goddamn Reston and she wants our commutes to be more equitable -- she's currently about an hour drive to Alexandria and I'm a 20-minute walk.

How frowned upon is it to change your job title on a resume? My job title is what I was brought in to do 3 years or so ago but because of layoffs and such I only do said job around 10% of the time now. I haven't "officially" switched positions during that time and my title has remained the same but its really not what I do and haven't done so for over a year and a half now. Thoughts? (probably not a big deal, but this is my first job out of college so its top of my resume which I'm blasting out pretty regularly now)

How frowned upon is it to change your job title on a resume? My job title is what I was brought in to do 3 years or so ago but because of layoffs and such I only do said job around 10% of the time now. I haven't "officially" switched positions during that time and my title has remained the same but its really not what I do and haven't done so for over a year and a half now. Thoughts? (probably not a big deal, but this is my first job out of college so its top of my resume which I'm blasting out pretty regularly now)

i've had this same thought recently-- my job title doesn't really reflect what i "do".

I dunno if I would change it. I had the title of "Project Manager" for several years but the projects I managed ended so I just did the duties I do now...took them a year to change it.

My job title is Sr. Business Analyst.

What I actually do is lead the emerging technologies space and I am the lead blockchain strategist.

My LinkedIn highlights those roles as for any job I am looking for, those are far more representative of the type of work I do than the general BA title. I then have about 4 or 5 different resumes customized for the job listing (Sr. Business Analyst, Emerging Technologies Lead, Lead Blockchain Strategist, Technology Strategist)

Unless Nonny uses that in a much different way.

Damn, I should probably pimp out my LinkedIn, huh? All this shit is so lame.

Nope, definitely the blockchain you reference. From Bitcoin Blockchain to Ethereum to federated/permissioned blockchains and everything in between.

Yeah, cool, I figured it was based on where you work. Makes a lot of sense.

Back