• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fight results

Anybody actually excited about Mayweather v. Macgregor? Personally I think it's sad that the great sport of boxing has eroded to the point that this con job is the "event" of the year for the sport. You've got one of the greatest boxers, like him or not, in Floyd Mayweather taking on a guy that's never had a professional boxing match. Yeah, Macgregor is probably a competent boxer since that is a big part of MMA, but he doesn't belong in the same ring as Mayweather under boxing rules anymore than Mayweather would belong in the cage with Macgregor under MMA rules. I don't know, I guess you can't fault them for taking the paydays, but a couple of rich guys getting richer by pulling a con job is sad.

I can't believe the odds are down to 4-1. It should be 50-1 or more.

I can't believe the odds are down to 4-1. It should be 50-1 or more.

Wow, I can't believe they're that low either. The only interesting thing about this is if Mayweather wants to knock him out to prove a point risking the slight chance he could get caught or just dance for 12 rounds and win the fight 120-108.

Last edited:
It's gonna be a boring fight. It'll be 12 rounds of McGregor trying to beat the shit out of Mayweather and Mayweather playing defense the entire time. McGregor will eventually get worn out and Mayweather will land a few good shots and win on decision.

But... Mayweather studies his opponents well and there's no real tape on McGregor boxing, so it'll be an adapt on the fly match for him. McGregor could land a few shots being the much more dominant physical presence and things could go the other way.

I think the first 4-6 rounds will be interesting. McGregor will go all in throwing a lot of big punches, maybe land a couple. But then he'll be punched out, tired, and frustrated at how hard Mayweather is to hit. So that last half of the fight will be Mayweather winning each round on the cards and both guys doing a lot of talking.

I think a lot of the people putting money on McGregor are overestimating his KO power in a boxing ring. In UFC, if you land one good shot on the chin and cause the guy to stumble back, you can pounce on him and beat the shit out of him before he can recover. All you need to start a KO chain of events is a punch to stun the guy. In boxing, if you land a good shot and the guy goes down, he has a count to clear his head, and then can buy himself more recovery time clinching the rest of the round. The shots that knocked down Eddie Alvarez, Chad Mendes, and others in the octagon were good enough to take control of an MMA fight but nowhere close to enough to keep a boxer on the canvas for 10 seconds.

I think Mayweather takes a dive in the 4th and cashes in on a bet he placed on McGregor. Then he immediately signs up for a rematch and makes 50% more from the second fight while defensively dancing away with a win. If his massive ego could take it, that would be the way to go.

This smacks of the "exhibition" bout between Ali and the sumo wrestler where the wrestler played lime a turtle and spun around on his back. Ali tried to punch down at him while the guy continually kicked Ali in the legs. Some say this hurt Ali's career has some damage was done to his legs and his speed, a key to his success, was never the same.

I still think McGregor does a round house kick, knocks out Mayweather, resulting in a rematch despite a contractual stipulation which strip McGregor of big if not all bucks if he does so.

This smacks of the "exhibition" bout between Ali and the sumo wrestler where the wrestler played lime a turtle and spun around on his back. Ali tried to punch down at him while the guy continually kicked Ali in the legs. Some say this hurt Ali's career has some damage was done to his legs and his speed, a key to his success, was never the same.

I still think McGregor does a round house kick, knocks out Mayweather, resulting in a rematch despite a contractual stipulation which strip McGregor of big if not all bucks if he does so.

Aoki wasn't a Sumo wrestler. He was WWE-style performer.

That was a good big fight

Thought it was kind of shit red kept letting Floyd duck his head and turn his back but Floyd was clear better boxer

"Let me wobble back to me corner" is my new line.

Was impressed with McGregor overall considering it was his first pro boxing match against a guy that's 49-0. When they showed the stats after the fight, was actually surprised how much they favored Mayweather. But it was probably 7-3 on the cards without the TKO so maybe I shouldn't have been surprised.

Whether it's UFC or boxing, McGregor's got a fitness limit of about 15 minutes of fighting and really starts to look gassed and sluggish beyond 3 UFC rounds / 5 boxing rounds. Mayweather looked so much fresher in those last 3-4 rounds.

Will be interesting to see where McGregor goes after this. He's going to make $100m from tonight so hard to imagine UFC fights were he makes just a couple % of that are going to continue to interest him.

I dunno, I thought it sucked tbh. Didn't like how they called the fight without Conor going down. In addition, maybe I don't know boxing rules but wtf was that with Floyd bending over and turning around the majority of the first few rounds?

Really entertaining fight. But yeah if the ref was going to keep letting Floyd turn around and lower his head like that, then he should have let McGregor keep hitting him in the back of the head or suplex him or something.

Back