• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fight results

Wow. I do think if that first punch landed Cowboy's head would have come clean off.

Yeah, Conor came out guns blazing. The camera angle for that first punch was AWFUL, I wish we could've seen it better.

Also, it seemed like he finally had respect for his opponent. Their weigh-in was pretty tame and shook hands a couple of times. Then after the fight tonight, Conor immediately went over to him to check on him, gave him a hug, explained what he did, and laid a fat kiss on his forehead.

I'm not a UFC is rigged conspiracy theorist, but that played out exactly like UFC needed it to. They desperately needed people to remember the McGregor who was KOing opponents in the first round and forget about the McGregor who was getting smoked in the ring and making headlines for assaulting people outside the sport. Throw in McGregor actually showing respect to his opponent before and after the fight and then Cowboy's demeanor generally looking like he was happy enough to take a paycheck...

0a1c967f2c50dae0929dc256fd37a86f.jpg

NOT rigged. Cerrone would never, EVER, take a dive. He lives to fight. And he's already made his money.

I know most were focused on the MMA card (with good reason), but there was a substantial upset in boxing last night. Highly-regarded jr welter unified champ Julian Williams got creamed, dropping his titles in his hometown of Philly to a guy from the Dominican Republic not previously deemed much of a threat. Bernard Hopkins was there, Charlo (one of 'em) was there - it was Williams' big homecoming party, and this guy (Rosales, if I recall) absolutely pissed on it. The ref's stoppage was a good one, IMHO.

Regardless whether individual fights are rigged, one thing that’s definitely rigged about it is who he fights. They’re not going to put him anywhere near a Khabib rematch or any of the top 10 contenders at 170 lb. They’ll probably set up 1 or 2 more very winnable ufc fights and then try to get another huge payday boxing pacquiao.

Regardless whether individual fights are rigged, one thing that’s definitely rigged about it is who he fights. They’re not going to put him anywhere near a Khabib rematch or any of the top 10 contenders at 170 lb. They’ll probably set up 1 or 2 more very winnable ufc fights and then try to get another huge payday boxing pacquiao.

Disagree.

I think he fights Masvidal next (another BMF "title" fight). If he wins, then he fights Usman for the 170 belt. Regardless of the result he then fights for the 155 belt.

If he loses to Masvidal, he fights Diaz again or perhaps the loser of Khabib/Ferguson. A win vs either will get him a 155 title shot.

Those are several historic paydays for the UFC in a relatively short period of time. The UFC knows that their window to capitalize on McGregor may be short so they will take advantage of the massive hype that was re ignited last night.

You're not reading up enough. Dana White is already on record saying that McGregor vs Khabib is the next logical matchup.

You can say a lot of negative things about McGregor, but I don’t think it’s fair to say he’s ever ducked any fights. Maybe he delayed fighting Khabib for a bit, but otherwise, he’s taken every logical fight. Yes, Cowboy was a really good stylistic matchup for him, but that was a reasonable choice for not having fought for several years, and a very fan friendly matchup too.

Y'all ready for the biggest heavyweight fight of this generation? Tyson Vs Deontay who ya got?

FYI, a friend in NJ called to tell me the Buffalo Wild Wings near him is having the fight. So, I called the one in my neighborhood. They are having it too and no cover charge. Maybe they are doing that nationwide.

First fight of the undercard was a huge upset. The 15-0(15 ko) guy lost.

Heading over to a local place in a few minutes to watch the PPV section. Figured it was worth $10 not to have to worry about parking, overcrowding or having to get there too early.

It seems really weird that Fury isn't staying at the hotel on fight day. He and his entourage are driving through Vegas to the MGM as we speak.

Back