• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Beef Jerky

DeacNutt

Reaction score
I used to make venison jerky with my dad, and I couldn't get enough of it - even if it was like tearing into a spicy and gamey rawhide chew.

Does anyone have a good, tender jerky recipe that I could try with only a conventional oven? I'm open to all meat recommendations (giggity).

I've been reading into the marvels of meat tenderizers (double giggity), but A) I would like to stick to the more natural ingredients, and B) I can't help but think of meat tenderizers without triggering an immediate Pavlovian response to a chubby kid on the Florida beach with a jellyfish sting and an overzealous, hypochondriac mother.

Great rocky mountain oysters too, if you're so inclined.

I have heard that the testicles are great in Colorado, both bull and human. Not my bag, but I do love the non-sexual-yet-terribly-innuendo-rife-title and question.

I want some jerky. Yum.

I've made it in the oven before. You can season the meat with salt and pepper, or marinate it in your favorite sauce. Teyaki, soy, hot sauce, jamaican jerk, etc have all given me good results.

Cook on a low setting like 170 for beef. My dad used to make chicken jerkey and it never killed us, so that can work too.

Alton Brown has a method where he takes a box fan and bungees some air filters to it to dry out the meat. Looks interesting.

Took my first stab at home made jerky today. Simple ground beef with a New Orleans Creole seasoning. Used a jerky gun by Meat! and their dehydrator. 6 hours at 167 degrees and I'm hooked. Trying some soy/molasses marinated salmon tomorrow. 20220110_202610.jpg20220110_202651.jpg

I have never made my own.

The best I've had is Biltong from this small shop run by a South African guy in NYC many years ago. It may have been a pop-up. It was the freshest I've had, it was moist and had the right texture. He cut off some slices like you would see from a rotisserie. Anything I've had in a bag shipped is way too dry and disappointing.

I would pay a kings ransom for some more of the homemade sweet and spicy venison jerky that my dad made when I was a kid.

Ground beef has me confused? Won't it just crumble apart easily once dry? My old neighbor marinated and smoked some jerky on the Traeger that was the best I've ever had. Think he used thin strips of London Broil that were BOGO at the Teeter.

Back