• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Redskins Name Change Thread

The Redskins name is an easy fix. Solving long-standing social issues is not.

I don't understand why the Skins have taken nearly 100% of the PC crowd's ire on this issue. You say you want the chop gone but you are not near as vocal about it.

Sorry, what exactly do you want me to do? I'm not even that vocal about the Redskins thing. I don't talk about it in real life, on facebook, or anything. Just on here. I didn't even start this thread. I'm just participating in the discussion. Just disagreeing with you doesn't make me vocal.

it just baffles me how in 2013 people can think the name and term "Redskins" is ok. so if they wanted to call the team the "Blackskins" or "Darkies" and people decried it, would jhmd just point to the problems in the black community and say that's more important?

it just baffles me how in 2013 people can think the name and term "Redskins" is ok. so if they wanted to call the team the "Blackskins" or "Darkies" and people decried it, would jhmd just point to the problems in the black community and say that's more important?

Are the people who want to focus on actual problems really getting the "just" treatment on this issue?

How about people who "just" want to throw a fit about a name, at the expense of talking about the actual problems?

To answer your question, I absolutely would choose to focus on real problems that might actually help someone, versus highly selective outrage that will solve precisely zero problems. Every. Single. Time.

Who is defending the name (as you incorrectly characterize)? Do you see that post on here, or do you see people questioning a hierarchy of problems that seems to take great comfort in putting this one at the top? There is a difference.

But don't let me interrupt your handiwork on those decks chairs; they look fantastic. We'll get to the iceberg kerfluffle soon enough...

Of course he would. Hell, they could be called the Washington Coons, and he would lead with the state of black fatherhood in America.

Are the people who want to focus on actual problems really getting the "just" treatment on this issue?

How about people who "just" want to throw a fit about a name, at the expense of talking about the actual problems?

To answer your question, I absolutely would choose to focus on real problems that might actually help someone, versus highly selective outrage that will solve precisely zero problems. Every. Single. Time.

Who is defending the name (as you incorrectly characterize)? Do you see that post on here, or do you see people questioning a hierarchy of problems that seems to take great comfort in putting this one at the top? There is a difference.

But don't let me interrupt your handiwork on those decks chairs; they look fantastic. We'll get to the iceberg kerfluffle soon enough...

maybe we're just discussing the topic that the thread is based on... and the topic that the media is talking about...

Of course he would.

Wouldn't you? After taking a continent from someone and then rounding them up and putting them in inhumane, squalor conditions inside infertile lands, you'd take comfort in making it up to them by renaming a football team?

Actually the more I think about it, of course you would, because that would make YOU feel better. Why stop now?

Obviously Dan Snyder is just trying to foster a national conversation about the plight of Native Americans, how noble.

Wouldn't you? After taking a continent from someone and then rounding them up and putting them in inhumane, squalor conditions inside infertile lands, you'd take comfort in making it up to them by renaming a football team?

Actually the more I think about it, of course you would.

Because obviously everyone is saying that the "Redskins" name is the ONLY problem facing Native Americans and that changing it would fix all of their problems. Yup. That's definitely what we're saying

Actually the more I think about it, of course you would.

I don't see them as mutually exclusive options.

Actually the more I think about it, of course you would, because that would make YOU feel better. Why stop now?

This isn't about making something up to people. It is about recognizing that the widespread use of a racial slur is harmful, and cutting it off now.

Because obviously everyone is saying that the "Redskins" name is the ONLY problem facing Native Americans and that changing it would fix all of their problems. Yup. That's definitely what we're saying

Show me the opeds on those problems from the last 90 days? Where are they?

Show me the opeds on those problems from the last 90 days? Where are they?

Again, what do you want those op-eds to say? That the problems exist and need to be fixed? Yeah, everyone agrees on that. People don't write op-eds on things everybody agrees on.

The Redskins name is an easy fix. Solving long-standing social issues is not.

The easy change is to not change just to be PC. It is best Washington Redskins. Everybody needs to quit being offended. Everybody needs to quit changing something just because 2 people get "offended". This stuff is just like schools getting rid of Halloween or Christmas. The majority want it be a few don't so they listen to the few instead of the majority.

This isn't about making something up to people. It is about recognizing that the widespread use of a racial slur is harmful, and cutting it off now.

I will agree wholeheartedly with the first sentence. As to the second, I'll continue to wonder why the people that are targeted by this slur aren't out in front of the charge (and pay careful note to those that say they not only are not offended by it, but embrace the term proudly, and don't want it taken away).

It doesn't actually bother me to change the name. I find the insistence to change it by people who have no stake in the matter---over the objection of people who don't know that they are supposed to be offended by it---odd-to-the-point-of-insincere. I think the best evidence of that is that we agree on the first sentence of your post: what actual problem does this solve? Can we start with that?

The easy change is to not change just to be PC. It is best Washington Redskins. Everybody needs to quit being offended. Everybody needs to quit changing something just because 2 people get "offended". This stuff is just like schools getting rid of Halloween or Christmas. The majority want it be a few don't so they listen to the few instead of the majority.

Yea, that 1st Amendment thing is silly.

I will agree wholeheartedly with the first sentence. As to the second, I'll continue to wonder why the people that are targeted by this slur aren't out in front of the charge (and pay careful note to those that say they not only are not offended by it, but embrace the term proudly, and don't want it taken away).

It doesn't actually bother me to change the name. I find the insistence to change it by people who have no stake in the matter---over the objection of people who don't know that they are supposed to be offended by it---odd-to-the-point-of-insincere. I think the best evidence of that is that we agree on the first sentence of your post: what actual problem does this solve? Can we start with that?

If they were the Washington Niggers, would you find that offensive as a white guy?

*sigh*

If you came upon someone who was hemorrhaging blood from arterial bleeding, who was also wearing a RGIII jersey, which problem would YOU fix first?

Back