• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Redskins Name Change Thread

*sigh*

If you came upon someone who was hemorrhaging blood from arterial bleeding, who was also wearing a RGIII jersey, which problem would YOU fix first?

I would probably use the jersey to apply pressure to the wound and solve both problems.

jhmd, why do you bother to wipe your ass when your cholesterol could be better. Which is more important, HMMMMM???!?!?

I would probably use the jersey to apply pressure to the wound and solve both problems.

Would you have a problem with someone who made a bigger deal about the jersey than say, the sucking chest wound? If so, then what do we disagree on here, again?

I will agree wholeheartedly with the first sentence. As to the second, I'll continue to wonder why the people that are targeted by this slur aren't out in front of the charge (and pay careful note to those that say they not only are not offended by it, but embrace the term proudly, and don't want it taken away).

It doesn't actually bother me to change the name. I find the insistence to change it by people who have no stake in the matter---over the objection of people who don't know that they are supposed to be offended by it---odd-to-the-point-of-insincere. I think the best evidence of that is that we agree on the first sentence of your post: what actual problem does this solve? Can we start with that?

www.nytimes.com/2013/10/10/sports/f...er-unfinished-business.html?hp&pagewanted=all

After she moved to Washington, she and her husband were given tickets. Fans sitting nearby, apparently amused that American Indians were in their midst, pawed their hair and poked them, “not in an unfriendly way, but in a scary way,” Ms. Harjo said.

“We didn’t know what was next,” she said.

Ms. Harjo and her husband left the game, but they never left Washington. The incident fueled her opposition to the team’s name and her hope to get the team to change it. Since the 1960s, Ms. Harjo has been at the center of efforts to persuade schools, colleges and professional sports teams to drop American Indian names and mascots that some consider derogatory. The fight has escalated in recent days as groups have intensified lobbying efforts and organized protests, even prompting President Obama to weigh in.

I will agree wholeheartedly with the first sentence. As to the second, I'll continue to wonder why the people that are targeted by this slur aren't out in front of the charge (and pay careful note to those that say they not only are not offended by it, but embrace the term proudly, and don't want it taken away).

It doesn't actually bother me to change the name. I find the insistence to change it by people who have no stake in the matter---over the objection of people who don't know that they are supposed to be offended by it---odd-to-the-point-of-insincere. I think the best evidence of that is that we agree on the first sentence of your post: what actual problem does this solve? Can we start with that?

They have been in front of the charge. Native American groups were the ones to challenge the trademark in court, which brought the issue to the forefront. The “Change the Mascot” campaign from a Native American tribe has kept the issue in the public eye. I’m not sure the discussion would have gotten this far without those publicity efforts.

A bunch of poor people are not going to make a billionaire do something he doesn't want to do.

End of story / End of thread / Life lesson for your morons.

They have been in front of the charge. Native American groups were the ones to challenge the trademark in court, which brought the issue to the forefront. The “Change the Mascot” campaign from a Native American tribe has kept the issue in the public eye. I’m not sure the discussion would have gotten this far without those publicity efforts.

being completely wrong with facts has never stopped jhmd before. Why would it now?

being completely wrong with facts has never stopped jhmd before. Why would it now?

What do you say to the people---real, actual, hard for you to ignore people---of Native American descent who embrace the name? Do they not count? Do you presume to know better than they?

What do you say to the people---real, actual, hard for you to ignore people---of Native American descent who embrace the name? Do they not count? Do you presume to know better than they?

Us white folks are going to do everything in our power to convince them that they are wrong and teach them to be as offended as possible about most everything.

Reactions: DG3
If they were the Washington Niggers, would you find that offensive as a white guy?

jhmd, I'm still curious to hear your response to this. If you need to spread more rep to make another "clever" quip about my sister tossing your salad, I completely understand.

Holy shit do you love making broad proclamations, ignoring every response, and then changing the question.

Again, this has not been a movement led by white people. IT has been led by Native Americans. Not every single Native American in the country, but definitely a number of them.

If someone is not offended by it, that's their right.

What do you say to the people---real, actual, hard for you to ignore people---of Native American descent who want the name changed? Do they not count? Do you presume to know better than they?

Us white folks are going to do everything in our power to convince them that they are wrong and teach them to be as offended as possible about most everything.

isn't the proper vernacular "white folk" as opposed to "white folks"?

Or maybe we just realize that all people of a certain race/demographic don't have the same opinions about everything?

Holy shit do you love making broad proclamations, ignoring every response, and then changing the question.

Again, this has not been a movement led by white people. IT has been led by Native Americans. Not every single Native American in the country, but definitely a number of them.

If someone is not offended by it, that's their right.

What do you say to the people---real, actual, hard for you to ignore people---of Native American descent who want the name changed? Do they not count? Do you presume to know better than they?

They have every right to be offended, but being offended isn't a solution to a problem. I'd rather talk about solutions to problems.

just so we're clear, you wouldn't be offended by the Washington Niggers, because black people have bigger problems to worry about that need solving. and they shouldn't either; rather, they should dedicate their focus to said problems.

jhmd, I'm still curious to hear your response to this. If you need to spread more rep to make another "clever" quip about my sister tossing your salad, I completely understand.

I think I've told you every way possible way that can be said, a) we all know it is a problem to some people, b) but I think it is beyond obvious that there are thousands more important problems impacting their community that we should direct all of this outrage towards.

Back