• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Redskins Name Change Thread

I think I've told you every way possible way that can be said, a) we all know it is a problem to some people, b) but I think it is beyond obvious that there are thousands more important problems impacting their community that we should direct all of this outrage towards.

I asked you a yes or no question, they way I expected you to tell me an answer is with a yes or no, so we haven't covered every possible way

I asked you a yes or no question, they way I expected you to tell me an answer is with a yes or no, so we haven't covered every possible way

Yes. It is offensive to some people (and your unnecessary hypothetical would, if reality, be clearly offensive to some people). We all know this, and they have every right to be offended.

Yes or no question #2: Do you believe that the name of a football team ranks in the top 1,000 issues facing Native Americans?

Last edited:
Yes. It is offensive to some people (and your unnecessary hypothetical would, if reality, be clearly offensive to some people). We all know this, and they have every right to be offended.

Yes or no question #2: Do you believe that the name of a football team ranks in the top 1,000 issues facing Native Americans?

why are they mutually exclusive? the team is a private organization, so them changing the name (as they should) should not hamper the changes that should be done for the Native American community.

Then you concede that not only members a community can/should be offended by derogatory terms about that community? (looking for a yes or no answer in case that isn't clear)

why are they mutually exclusive? the team is a private organization, so them changing the name (as they should) should not hamper the changes that should be done for the Native American community.

Barca's response is my response to your question in addition to my YES. I think access to healthcare, nutrition, and substance abuse counseling are some of the top concerns within the Native American community - much like most poor folk in America.

just so we're clear, you wouldn't be offended by the Washington Niggers, because black people have bigger problems to worry about that need solving. and they shouldn't either; rather, they should dedicate their focus to said problems.

The Washington Niggers argument is so silly. Would you be offended if the team name was the Washington Dandelions? The names have just as much in common. If you guys hate slippery slope arguments then don't use that one.

I'm just still amazed that in 2013 there are people who are ok with the name and term "Redskins" and do not think a change is made

The Washington Niggers argument is so silly. Would you be offended if the team name was the Washington Dandelions? The names have just as much in common. If you guys hate slippery slope arguments then don't use that one.

Not sure I'm following your logic here.

Redskins Name Change Thread (Dan Snyder Letter On Page 5)

I have not seen where a large portion of American Indians think the name Redskins is an offensive slur. Hell, I have yet to see any proof that anything but a very small minority of American Indians find it offensive. Again, this seems to be an issue being driven by white people wanting to feel good. However, once the PC bus gets rolling it is hard to stop. Because of that I would change the name because at the end of the day it is a non issue.

I have not seen where a large portion of American Indians think the name Redskins is an offensive slur. Hell, I have yet to see any proof that anything but a very small minority of American Indians find it offensive. Again, this seems to be an issue being driven by white people wanting to feel good. However, once the PC bus gets rolling it is hard to stop. Because of that I would change the name because at the end of the day it is a non issue.

Is the Oneida Nation a large enough portion of American Indians who find the name offensive?

Yes, but in today's PC world if one person is offended, it is one too many.

90% of Native Americans polled aren't offended by the name. If we actually want to help (and there's no use assuming these days), perhaps we could start with something that impacts 100% of their longevity and prosperity, rather than 10% of their feelings.

90% of Native Americans polled aren't offended by the name. If we actually want to help (and there's no use assuming these days), perhaps we could start with something that impacts 100% of their longevity and prosperity, rather than 10% of their feelings.

I mean the decision to change the name is by one person really, actually physically helping the Native American community requires input from scores of people. Dan Snyder changing the name has no effect on fixing their issues, but really, in 2013, a term like Redskins should not be in the lexicon.

I mean the decision to change the name is by one person really, actually physically helping the Native American community requires input from scores of people. Dan Snyder changing the name has no effect on fixing their issues, but really, in 2013, a term like Redskins should not be in the lexicon.

I understand what you mean and don't disagree. What I find bewildering is that despite a glorious amount of effort, we still haven't yet hit our collective threshold of offense fatigue. E'erybody offended about something, nobody's solving problems. When 90% of the purportedly offended group isn't offended, it seems to me we're reached (depending on your POV) either the high water or low water mark of this phenomenon.

Says who? As Riley pointed out in his column the vast majority of teams that use the mascot "Redskins" are schools in heavily American Indian populated areas and they are not offended by it. Again, this is white people saying that the term redskins should not be in the lexicon...not American Indians.

Like it or not this name change is all just a matter of time. Anyone who doesn't believe that is only fooling themselves.

Like it or not this name change is all just a matter of time. Anyone who doesn't believe that is only fooling themselves.

I agree with this. That is why I would go ahead and change it now.

I understand what you mean and don't disagree. What I find bewildering is that despite a glorious amount of effort, we still haven't yet hit our collective threshold of offense fatigue. E'erybody offended about something, nobody's solving problems. When 90% of the purportedly offended group isn't offended, it seems to me we're reached (depending on your POV) either the high water or low water mark of this phenomenon.

Didn't we establish that other folks are allowed to be offended by the name?

Back