• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Redskins Name Change Thread

Serious questions.

Has there not been another poll of American Indians and their feelings about this since SI's 2008? Everyone points to that poll but I would imagine feelings have changed somewhat since then.

Serious questions.

Has there not been another poll of American Indians and their feelings about this since SI's 2008? Everyone points to that poll but I would imagine feelings have changed somewhat since then.

Snyder's letter mentioned an Annenberg poll where 90% of self-identified Native Americans said they shouldn't change the name.

I thought that one was from 2003? And it's methods have been questioned a bit.

Last edited:
The protesters should start with the Cleveland Indians. That thing, with it's goofy giant teeth, is way more offensive.

Look at this thing, Chief Wahoo. How are they still getting away with it?
Cleveland_Indians_logo.svg

Serious questions.

This is from a Wikipedia article:
Even polls disagree. A survey conducted in 2002 by Sports Illustrated found that 81 percent of Native Americans who live outside traditional Indian reservations and 53 percent of Indians on reservations did not find the images discriminatory.

The journal concluded that "Although most Native American activists and tribal leaders consider Indian team names and mascots offensive, neither Native Americans in general nor a cross section of U.S. sports fans agree. According to the article, There is a near total disconnect between Indian activists and the Native American population on this issue." An Indian activist commented on the results saying "that Native Americans' self-esteem has fallen so low that they don't even know when they're being insulted."[94][95]

In 2004, a poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania had a similar result to the Sports Illustrated poll's findings, concluding that 91% of the 768 American Indians surveyed in the 48 states on the mainland USA found the name "Redskins" acceptable.[96] The Associated Press reported a telephone survey conducted by GfK Roper Public Affairs & Corporate Communications in April, 2013 that 4 out of 5 Americans would keep the Redskins name while only 11% would change it. However, only 2 of the 1,004 persons interviewed identified themselves as Native American.[97]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_mascot_controversy#Argument_supporting_the_use_of_Native_American_mascots
The possible flaw in random and anonymous polls of Native American's opinion is that they must rely upon self-identification to select the target group. In an editorial in the Bloomington Herald Times, Steve Russell (an enrolled Cherokee citizen and associate professor of criminal justice at Indiana University), states that both SI and Annenberg's samples of "self-identified Native Americans... includes plenty of people who have nothing to do with Indians".[98] The problem of individuals claiming to be Native American when they are not is well known in academic research, and is a particular problem when non-natives claim Indian identity specifically to gain authority in the debate over sports mascots.[99]

I wonder if we'll still be allowed to scalp tickets...

As an organization, Red Cloud Indian School has never—and will never—endorse the use of the name “Redskins.” Like many Native American organizations across the country, members of our staff and extended community find the name offensive. Although we were encouraged to hear that National Football League representatives met with the Oneida Nation to discuss the name’s derogatory nature, more must be done. We call on Dan Snyder and managers to engage in further discussion with Native groups across the country and, ultimately, to move toward changing the name, once and for all.

Today, a major part of Red Cloud Indian School’s mission is to honor, celebrate and protect Lakota culture through our K-12 Lakota language curriculum, our Lakota studies program, and our support of Lakota artists through The Heritage Center. We stand against any abuse or appropriation of Native history, culture or heritage—and we believe the use of the name “Redskins” falls into that category.

White supremacy is a bitch.

I've had a busy weekend, and just want to lay on the couch and enjoy the game. Go do a talk show or whatever to address your political views. Don't ruin the ballgame for most people, you pig.

I got a great idea while in the grocery store yesterday with my wife. Passed by the produce section and saw "Redskin" potatoes, so all they need to do is change their mascot to a potato and they're good right?:thumbsup:

Bob Costas, just STFU

Costas needs a soap box to hit the urinal in the men's room. Snyder should put out a press release on a saturday morning in May and change the name to the Washington Warriors. He won't have to change the logo and "warriors" will fit into the fight song. He can tell these nattering nabobs of negitivism to stuff it.

Back