• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Redskins Name Change Thread

Yay liberals! Tell the poor savages how to feel! Not hypocritical at all! :)

Just watched a video where it was said that if the word was used in a workplace and a native american asked that it not be used, and the person saying the word said that they would not change their use of the word (as Snyder said), then that would be textbook harassment. If the word were used during to course of a crime, then it would unequivocally be a hate crime.

How can anyone argue with that?

Some sort of compromise may be needed. The Redskins change their name and the Indian tribes stop referring to themselves as nations.

I think they should keep the nickname and change the mascot to a potato.

I think they should change the name to the Griffins. It fits with the song and it fits with the biggest look at me diva in the NFL.

I think proponents of the name would say the same thing

It's weird that you're still sticking to this "It's only white people who are offended!" despite all the many, many stories posted here about Native American advocates who want the name changed

It's weird that you're still sticking to this "It's only white people who are offended!" despite all the many, many stories posted here about Native American advocates who want the name changed

"Only" was hyperbole...I should not have said only. Of course you can find anecdotal stories about certain American Indians being offended by the name. However, I have yet to see a survey / study or poll that shows a significant number of that population finds the name offensive. Just the same, you can find anecdotal stories of American Indians that love the name and would be offended if it were changed...saw one on the news last night. If any thing, there have been several studies and polls that have shown a significant majority of American Indians have no problem with the name. That being said, if a group of people are told long and loud enough that they should be offended they eventually will be offended.

Washington warriors, same logo

Can't do that. Marquette used to be the Warriors before PC kicked in:

The Warriors nickname will always be part of our proud athletics tradition, and we will honor that tradition. But we live in a different era than when the Warriors nickname was selected in 1954. The perspective of time has shown us that our actions, intended or not, can offend others. We must not knowingly act in a way that others will believe, based on their experience, to be an attack on their dignity as fellow human beings.

http://www.gomarquette.com/genrel/051105aaa.html

And Golden State is still the Warriors but they removed the Native American imagery:

Philadelphia_warriors.gif

Back