• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Redskins Name Change Thread

"Only" was hyperbole...I should not have said only. Of course you can find anecdotal stories about certain American Indians being offended by the name. However, I have yet to see a survey / study or poll that shows a significant number of that population finds the name offensive. Just the same, you can find anecdotal stories of American Indians that love the name and would be offended if it were changed...saw one on the news last night. If any thing, there have been several studies and polls that have shown a significant majority of American Indians have no problem with the name. That being said, if a group of people are told long and loud enough that they should be offended they eventually will be offended.

Wow, this is extremely condescending.

And extremely fucking stupid. The reality is that you have a majority of people saying that the name honors native americans. So how does a minority population become offended when all they ever hear is that the name honors their people?

Wow, this is extremely condescending.

If it is condescending it is condescending towards humans...I am not saying this is unique to any group. White Christians have been told that they should be offended that Christ has been taken out of Christmas so they get offended...even when in reality this is one of the most Christian nations on earth and Christ is everywhere around Christmas time. People (especially Americans) love to be offended.

And extremely fucking stupid. The reality is that you have a majority of people saying that the name honors native americans. So how does a minority population become offended when all they ever hear is that the name honors their people?

So are you suggesting that the majority opinion that the name honors Native Americans (BTW they prefer to be called American Indians...don't want you to offend anyone) is expressed and promoted by the media?

Rev Jesse Jackson Sr ‏@RevJJackson 53m
The name of the NFL’s Washington Redskins must be changed.

Also, this is...interesting.

BWxh2DAIcAAC54F.jpg

Last edited:
(BTW they prefer to be called American Indians...don't want you to offend anyone)

thats fucking funny

You implied that if a minority group is told long and loud enough to be offended, that they will become offended. I'm simply stating that for decades the longest and by far the loudest voice has been the proponents of mascot names/imagery who say it honors native people. So how did this movement develop?

White Christians have been told that they should be offended that Christ has been taken out of Christmas so they get offended...

You think that non-Christians have been telling Christians to be offended over taking Christ out of Christmas? shitty analogy

If it is condescending it is condescending towards humans...I am not saying this is unique to any group. White Christians have been told that they should be offended that Christ has been taken out of Christmas so they get offended...even when in reality this is one of the most Christian nations on earth and Christ is everywhere around Christmas time. People (especially Americans) love to be offended.

The only way this analogy makes sense is if you believe Native Americans are now offended because their peers and leaders have told them to be. Based on your earlier arguments, I took the line to mean that you thought they were now offended because white people told them to be. Which is painfully condescending, and not towards all humans.

ETA: Oh hey, MHB!

You guys (and gals) are making implications that I did not intend. Americans (all Americans) like to be offended...it gives us as place of power. It doesn't matter if it is the majority opinion that is telling us, our pastor that is telling us, Bob Costas that is telling us or our grandmother telling us...if we are told long enough (and loud enough) that we should be offended we will eventually be offended. I never made mention nor did I indent to imply that they have to be told by a majority or an authority.

FWIW Jesse was not the one who compared the mascot to Nazis and The Confederate Flag.

You guys (and gals) are making implications that I did not intend. Americans (all Americans) like to be offended...it gives us as place of power. It doesn't matter if it is the majority opinion that is telling us, our pastor that is telling us, Bob Costas that is telling us or our grandmother telling us...if we are told long enough (and loud enough) that we should be offended we will eventually be offended. I never made mention nor did I indent to imply that they have to be told by a majority or an authority.

but isn't it just basic common sense that in order for those opinions to take hold, it would have to be longer and louder that other opinions? How can you say that Bob Costas' influence is greater than the majority opinion?

It is still condescending to say that a minority population isn't able to determine what offends them.

basically your long enough, loud enough statement implies majority.

but isn't it just basic common sense that in order for those opinions to take hold, it would have to be longer and louder that other opinions? How can you say that Bob Costas' influence is greater than the majority opinion?

It is still condescending to say that a minority population isn't able to determine what offends them.

That is true and in this case the message that the name Redskins is offensive is MUCH louder (especially recently) than the message that it is not...even if the majority holds the opinion that it is not. I don't have access to LexisNexis but I bet if you did a search on the name Redskins the overwhelming return would be stories that talk about how the name is offensive and it should be changed. All I am saying is that with that type of coverage the opinions on this topic are sure to change and probably already have. That is why I surprised no one has done a more recent poll.

Again, this has nothing to do with minority v majority. It is human nature and would be the same for any group and that is why I used the Christmas example.

BTW, I am not saying this phenomena is a bad thing. Sometimes it takes a very loud and vocal group to change the opinions of the majority in order to advance society. I am not sure this merits but I am not objective...hell, my screen name is SkinsNDeacs.

My question to you, that I think you are unable to answer, is how did the current movement opposing the name develop and grow to its current state, if for decades, the longest, loudest majority opinion has been that the name is meant as a term of honor and respect? By your logic, we would never be where we are today.

My question to you, that I think you are unable to answer, is how did the current movement opposing the name develop and grow to its current state, if for decades, the longest, loudest majority opinion has been that the name is meant as a term of honor and respect? By your logic, we would never be where we are today.

I honestly don't know the answer and have wondered that for a while now. This has largely been a media driven issue and it has picked up TONS of steam in the last few months. I think it has a lot to do with a successful media campaign by the Oneida Indian Nation and it has gathered momentum in the media. This issue has been out there for decades. Mike Wise and others like him have been screaming about this for as long as I can remember. It has only been recently that it has picked up so much heat.

I don't why you say by my logic we would never be where we are today.

Still not following.

Where are we that my logic prevents us from being?

Jesus.

Jesse please just do us all a favor and keel over and die.

This. Times about a fuggin million. Good lord people -- of all the causes people have to get cranked up about this one does not even register.

Sunday,I am going to be sure to say the name "Redskins" as many times as I am able in whatever public setting I can find.

I don't give a fuck. Period. Not even a "Fucking fuck"... damnable soft- serve -pudding pants do-not- a-god damn thing bunch of guilt filled liberals. I'd say fuck 'em in the ass but it is clear they'd enjoy it too much.

Meanwhile, Lee Corso is jumping around on TV in a headdress with a spear...basically the equivalent of blackface on television.

Back