• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Redskins Name Change Thread

jags.gif

If you are confused, then you are confused because you are ignoring the essentials: context and intent.

Anybody can add any context that they want. They just can't ignore the context and intentions of the original speaker without confusing themselves and being mistaken.

Your second question is a more serious one. And it probably deserves its own thread. For now, let me just say this: I think that it would be a grave mistake to interprtet words without regard to the intentions of those who say them and the context in which they are pronounced; and I, for one, would not wish to live in a community where others have no regard for my intentions when I speak, or the context in which I use my words, and simply insist on imposing whatever meaning their immediately perceived political interests might suggest.

So your ideal:

If someone is offended by speech or imagery that is not intended to be offensive, then they need to adjust their understanding instead of altering the speech or imagery. Got it.

So your ideal:

If someone is offended by speech or imagery that is not intended to be offensive, then they need to adjust their understanding instead of altering the speech or imagery. Got it.

If they wish to disregard my intention and the context of my words, then there is not much to talk about. Any meaningful communication has been made impossible by their willful decision to be ignorant.

If they wish to disregard my intention and the context of my words, then there is not much to talk about. Any meaningful communication has been made impossible by their willful decision to be ignorant.

Are you not disregarded the pain that word/image causes them regardless of context? Is that not being willfully ignorant on your part?

Words have power beyond their intent in a specific circumstance, especially when they have a historical significance.

Though, sailor, I’d like to see you really test out this theory using different racial slurs. Use them around town for a few days, and explain to people how your intent is not offensive, so the use of them is OK.

If you have to jump through this many logical hoops to come up with a reason why its okay....then it's not okay.

If you insist beyond anybody's objection that because you didn't intend to harm, your words are incapable of harming, then you're the one shutting down the meaningful communication. You're pretty much putting your fingers in your ears and stamping your feet and saying "Nope nope nope. I meant it nicely, you can't be offended or you're not smart."

Also, Noble Savage like WHOA here:

I'll leave aside the fact that context is only part of the story, intention is also paramount. OK, let's talk about context. What is offensive about fierceness, bravery, strength, spirit, struggling against formidable odds, self-sacrifice and the will to win, which are all qualities associated with native Americans and necessary for successfully playing football? You try playing football without them.

TMZ SPORTS BABY

REDSKINS NAME CHANGE. WHERE THERE'S SMOKE...

Something curious/suspicious is going on with the Washington Redskins ... there's evidence the owner might be caving to pressure to change the name.

Here's what we know. Redskins owner Dan Snyder lives in Potomac, Maryland, a few doors down from a very rich dude, Aris Mardirossian. Aris, a wealthy patent investor, registered the name, WASHINGTON BRAVEHEARTS on October 17th. According to the Trademark application, obtained by TMZSports, Aris plans to use the name for "Entertainment in the nature of football games."

Aris also created a company called Washington Brave Hearts, LLC on the same day -- Oct. 17th. We've also obtained the LLC docs but there are no specifics.

GIMME THAT WHITE GUY SWAG

SnyderDurantShoes.jpg

Redskins Name Change Thread (Dan Snyder Letter On Page 5)

Are the players in the front row of that photo sitting indian style? lol

Apparently teachers arent allowed to call it that anymore.

I was somewhere and a teacher was like "Let's all sit down cross legged" and I was like WTF is she talking about?

Apparently teachers arent allowed to call it that anymore.

I was somewhere and a teacher was like "Let's all sit down cross legged" and I was like WTF is she talking about?

thanks obama

Back