• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Redskins Name Change Thread

NFL will cave to the PC police and force Snyder to change the name. We live in a PC world and no amount of Danny Snyder defiance will change that.

NFL will cave to the PC police and force Snyder to change the name. We live in a PC world and no amount of Danny Snyder defiance will change that.

You must not have read Goodell's letter to the Congressmen. He more or less spit in their face. Goodell doesn't give a shit either. As long as the Redskins are a $1,000,000,000+ franchise, it's not changing. Money wins every battle, even against the PC Police.

You must not have read Goodell's letter to the Congressmen. He more or less spit in their face. Goodell doesn't give a shit either. As long as the Redskins are a $1,000,000,000+ franchise, it's not changing. Money wins every battle, even against the PC Police.

How much new shit would they sell if they changed the name? It wouldn't affect the value of the franchise at ALL.

The bottom line is it doesn't matter. We can harp on this all day. We're beating a dead horse. The guy who calls the shots on this is on record saying it will NEVER change. Right or wrong, good or bad, we can't do anything about it. If you want to change it, speak with your wallet. Don't watch. Don't buy merchandise. Don't buy tickets. In reality, people aren't going to to do that either. The Redskins (despite having a 20 year period of being absolutely awful) are the 3rd most valuable franchise IN THE WORLD. They have an extremely loyal fan base with new found hope and vigor. They will watch, buy merchandise, and buy tickets. These are the facts. Money talks (as we Wake Forest fans should know by now.) As long as the money flows, changes won't happen.

How much new shit would they sell if they changed the name? It wouldn't affect the value of the franchise at ALL.

If I were the owner of the Skins this is why I would probably change the name. Issues like this (right or wrong) progress to the more PC. Why fight a losing battle? Snyder could get creative and change the name to something that the fan base would accept (even if upset about it initially) and make lots of money. If I were him I would change the name to Skins and drop all American Indian imagery.

i don't think the name will change on snyder's watch

lol

http://deadspin.com/redskins-indian-chief-defender-not-a-chief-probably-590973565

Alas, there's a lot of evidence that Chief Dodson—whose real name is Stephen D. Dodson—ain't the perfect pitchman that Snyder and Goodell want him to be. It turns out that the "full-blooded American Inuit chief" is neither a full-blooded American Inuit nor a chief in any formal sense of the term.

this guy is FANTASTIC.

When I told him that various groups representing Inuits and Aleuts in Alaska question the description of him as a "full-blooded Inuit Chief originally of Aleutian tribes," Dodson said, "I don't get into organizational things like that. We are a people and that's what we need to focus on, instead of dealing with non-profits run by Mexicans."

WHAT. THE. HELL. is he talking about.

I go back and forth about the tomahawk chop. It's not an easy question. There is no way it's on the same level as fried chicken and watermelon, but at the same time, it kind of perpetuates the image of Native Americans as violent savages. But I don't think it's as cut and dried as other things in the sports world. For example, I was against the "Screaming Indian" logo that they thought about bringing back for BP caps this year. I also don't like the Cleveland Indians caricature logo.

I have been thinking about this and you are right, it is not on the same level...it's much worse. While eating fired chicken and watermelon is an offensive stereotype there is really nothing inherently wrong with eating watermelon and fried chicken. Hell...I think there is something wrong with you if you don't like fried chicken and watermelon no matter what color you are. However, the stereotype of being a vicious savage on a war path with no regard for human life is not a good thing. Portraying American Indians as savages is much worth than saying black people like fried chicken and watermelon.

I really don't care too much about this, but apparently Green and Monk actually don't want it changed.

WASHINGTON (CBSDC) - Darrell Green was recently quoted commenting on the Redskins name change debate as saying “it deserves and warrants a conversation because somebody is saying, ‘Hey, this offends me.’

Reporters took the one line, ran with it because Green’s a big-named former Redskin, and spun it out of control, and before you know it, the national perspective is ‘Darrell Green wants the Redskins to change the name.’ There’s only one problem: that’s not what Darrell Green wants.

“In no way do I want to see the Redskins change their name,” Green told 106.7 The Fan’s Lavar and Dukes. “So that just makes that clear. And I’ll speak for Art, there’s no way he wants it, and I guarantee he didn’t say it, and I know I didn’t say it.”

Darrell Green: ‘In No Way Do I Want to See The Redskins Change Their Name’

Reactions: DG3
Rename them the Washington FORESKINS. (1) We can still call them The Skins. (2) Gives appropriate recognition to all the pricks in Washington.

I really don't care too much about this, but apparently Green and Monk actually don't want it changed.

WASHINGTON (CBSDC) - Darrell Green was recently quoted commenting on the Redskins name change debate as saying “it deserves and warrants a conversation because somebody is saying, ‘Hey, this offends me.’

Reporters took the one line, ran with it because Green’s a big-named former Redskin, and spun it out of control, and before you know it, the national perspective is ‘Darrell Green wants the Redskins to change the name.’ There’s only one problem: that’s not what Darrell Green wants.

“In no way do I want to see the Redskins change their name,” Green told 106.7 The Fan’s Lavar and Dukes. “So that just makes that clear. And I’ll speak for Art, there’s no way he wants it, and I guarantee he didn’t say it, and I know I didn’t say it.”

Just another example of media sensationalism. ESPN took it and ran with it. If anyone actually read the quotes, you could tell that neither wanted the name changed, they just said that if it offends someone, then it warrants some thought. Then with ESPN running with it and running false headlines, we get people like BBD who take it at face value and BOOM we have a story... just like the media wanted.

Good. I would hope not.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/report-redskins-name-only-offensive-if-you-think-a,33449/

WASHINGTON—A new study published Monday by the University of New Mexico confirmed that the name of the Washington Redskins is only offensive if you take any amount of time whatsoever to think about its actual meaning. “When you hear or say ‘Redskins’ in the abstract, it’s completely harmless, but we’ve discovered that if you briefly pause to remember it’s a racial slur for an indigenous group wiped out by genocide over the course of a few centuries, then, yeah, it’s awful,” said lead researcher Lawrence Wagner, adding that only if you allow the NFL franchise’s name to register in your mind does it evoke the thought of human beings devastated by the forced removal from tribal lands, intentional exposure to smallpox, and countless massacres. “It has the potential to come across as a degrading relic of an ethnocentric mentality responsible for the destruction of an entire people and their culture, but that’s only if you take a couple seconds to recognize it as something beyond a string of letters.” Wagner recommended that the NFL franchise should change their name to something more appropriate and historically accurate, such as the Washington Racist Fucks.

Seems to be picking up a lot of momentum. Starting to think it will happen in the next 3-4 years.

Back