• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Redskins Name Change Thread

Would it surprise you though?

Sure because it's not remotely close to the same thing as Redskins. Not even in the same hemisphere.

Would it surprise you if an NFL expansion team was planned called the Salt Lake City Crackers?

Just when I thought Danny Snyder couldn't be any dumber he goes out and does something like this. $100 says there's no way in hell that little twit goes anywhere near an indian tribe to listen to them explain why the slur 'redskins' is offensive.

It assumes we aren't capable of discernment, which we clearly are. We're capable of stating reasons why a man can marry a man, but a man can't marry an asteroid or a plant or a dog or whatever freaks people out. We can comfortably draw lines between all sorts of proposed things, such that allowing the slightest version of something in moderation doesn't yield an avalanche terrible disaster.

Next up: Atheist groups protest New Orlean's use of the name Saints

lol

Snyder purchased a team for $800M, took them absolutely nowhere in 15 years, and doubled their value. He may be an insensitive prick, but he's no dummy.

Did anybody even read the Oneida chief's letter? The guy sounds like an imbecile.

“In his letter, Mr. Snyder made mention of his team's history. He opted to omit from his letter, however, that the original owner who gave the team its current name was an avowed segregationist. That suggests the team's name was deliberately designed to denigrate people of color. Unfortunately that ploy was successful. The marketing of this racial slur has had - and continues to have - very serious cultural, political, and public health consequences for my people and Native Americans everywhere.”

blog-fish-jump.jpg

Snyder purchased a team for $800M, took them absolutely nowhere in 15 years, and doubled their value. He may be an insensitive prick, but he's no dummy.

Hasn't basically every NFL franchise value skyrocketed in the last 15 years?

Hasn't basically every NFL franchise value skyrocketed in the last 15 years?

Probably. Should probably just leave it at he accumulated enough wealth (or screwed over enough people) to buy an NFL franchise, so he can't be that dumb. Or say buying an NFL team in the late 90's was an insanely good investment.

@KenTremendous: Dan Snyder's reasons for not changing the name "Redskins" are two of the least sound: "It's always been like this" and "I don't wanna!"

14 Ideas for a New Washington Redskins Name — by Your Uncle

DJ Gallo Oct 9th, 2013 0 Comment

Washington What Happened to Freedom of Speech in This Country? Is This Not America Anymore?s

Washington REDSKINS — You know, all CAPS to show we’re not backing down to PC nonsense!

Washington Illegal Aliens — To raise awareness about all of the illegal aliens that are destroying this country!

Washington Indigenous Peoples Or Whatever the Crap They Want to be Called Nows

Washington Gridlock — Because Congress is an abomination! Don’t get me started.

Washington Bullets — The basketball team giving into this PC garbage is what got us to where we are today! It’s a slippery slope and now they want to take everything away! Well, the 2nd Amendment isn’t going anywhere! Bullets it is!

Washington Yeesh*– That’s what I say every day I flip on the news and see where this country is heading!

Washington Freedom*– Now there’s a team I could get behind, win or lose. (Not that freedom ever loses.)

Washington Whiteskins*– Call it that! Go ahead! I won’t get offended. I’d even be honored. It would be nice if it would be okay for white people to get honored in this country now and then! I wouldn’t get my panties in a bunch about everything like liberals do.

Washington Gays*– Just get it over with and call it that. You know it’s going to happen eventually. Everything in America has to be gay this and gay that now. Everyone has to be all in your face about it. I don’t have a problem with it, just … enough already. So just go ahead and call a sports team the Gays and maybe these politically correct Nazis will shut up for a while.

Washington [Editor's note: too horrible to print]*– Yeah, that’s right. I said it. If you have a problem with it, that’s you’re fault. This is America and I can say whatever I want.

Washington Traffic Jams*– The traffic around Washington is a nightmare!

Washington Savages*– What, that offends them, too? Yeesh. Even though the logo could be made a lot meaner looking? Come on. Where does it end with this people? What’s the point of picking a new name? Someone new is just going to get offended anyway. Call them the Washington Tigers and goddam PETA will probably get all upset because they’ll say we’re trivializing tigers or some crap.

Washington Redskin Potatoes*– I can’t take credit for that one. One of my golfing buddies came up with that one. Pretty funny.

Washington Senators. Bring back "Footsteps" Shane Falco when RGKnee gets broken again.

Washington Senators. Bring back "Footsteps" Shane Falco when RGKnee gets broken again.

Senators, now that's offensive!!!

The Texas Rangers were once the Washington Senators. I thought it was the Sentinals in the movie Replacements?

Could they be the Washington Warriors (or something like that) and keep the Indian Head logo?

why not just call them the Washington Skins? dont people use the nickname "skins" for them anyways?

Skins is a good idea. Keep the burgundy and gold, but change the logo.

Dan Snyder made some good points in that letter and it was very PC. But the bottom line is he owns the team and should tell the PC crowd to go fuck themselves. When the stands are empty is when he needs to panic and that isn't going to happen (well, not because of the name, because of the product).

And I do not like the Redskins by any means. But if 90% of native americans don't give a shit then I think the sports media needs to find a new story. If the Chiefs were the Redskins this wouldn't even be a topic of discussion.

Skins is a good idea. Keep the burgundy and gold, but change the logo.

This is what I would do. I would call them "The Skins" get rid of all American Indian imagery and adopt the Hogs as a logo. Play off pigskin....maybe even call the team the HogSkins.

That being said I think this is all about white people being offended for other people. This is an issue all about white man's guilt.

Back