• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Redskins Name Change Thread

I should have been more clear...I meant stereotypically offensive imagery.

I'm still not sure of your point here. I've agreed with you that the tomahawk chop sucks and should be gotten rid of. What does that have anything to do with the Redskins name?

"Poverty is worse on many American Indian reservations than anywhere else in the United States. Experts say the main causes are alcohol and drug abuse, dysfunctional families, and the failure of education programs.

On the Pine Ridge reservation in South Dakota, one-half of individuals 40 years or older have diabetes. Two-thirds of adults may be alcoholics. Average life expectancy is less than 50 years. Fewer than 10 percent of children graduate from high school.

Employers do not invest in reservations because the work force is undependable. Good work habits, even getting to work on time, have yet to be developed. Family crises frequently cause workers to miss work. Alcohol and drug consumption are big barriers to change.

Tribal property laws discourage investments in reservation land. The land itself cannot support large populations.

***."

Wait, hold on a second...

30wqa6v.png

2n1tiqa.gif

"Poverty is worse on many American Indian reservations than anywhere else in the United States. Experts say the main causes are alcohol and drug abuse, dysfunctional families, and the failure of education programs.

On the Pine Ridge reservation in South Dakota, one-half of individuals 40 years or older have diabetes. Two-thirds of adults may be alcoholics. Average life expectancy is less than 50 years. Fewer than 10 percent of children graduate from high school.

Employers do not invest in reservations because the work force is undependable. Good work habits, even getting to work on time, have yet to be developed. Family crises frequently cause workers to miss work. Alcohol and drug consumption are big barriers to change.

Tribal property laws discourage investments in reservation land. The land itself cannot support large populations.

***."

Wait, hold on a second...

30wqa6v.png

2n1tiqa.gif

lol.

"If you have any other problems, you can't possibly be offended by something. Go fix everything about your population, and then come to us and maybe we'll change the name. Also, it's impossible that an activist can possibly be working on more than one issue at once. Nobody is capable of that."

I have two cousins that are members of the Spokane tribe that lived on the reservation in Washington. That place has real honest to God problems that need to be addressed. Doesn't mean it has to be one or the other, but if this guy is so concerned with the self esteem of his people maybe he should focus on the internal problems a little bit more.

I have two cousins that are members of the Spokane tribe that lived on the reservation in Washington. That place has real honest to God problems that need to be addressed. Doesn't mean it has to be one or the other, but if this guy is so concerned with the self esteem of his people maybe he should focus on the internal problems a little bit more.
Do you know whether he is or isn't focused on those problems? Is he supposed to just give a "no comment, gotta focus on internal problems" if a reporter calls him up and asks him about the name?

Do you know whether he is or isn't focused on those problems? Is he supposed to just give a "no comment, gotta focus on internal problems" if a reporter calls him up and asks him about the name?

Reporters aren't calling him up to ask. He is actively speaking out about this issue, which based on information from the Rick Reilly article it's debatable whether or not tribes even find the name offensive.

lol.

"If you have any other problems, you can't possibly be offended by something. Go fix everything about your population, and then come to us and maybe we'll change the name. Also, it's impossible that an activist can possibly be working on more than one issue at once. Nobody is capable of that."

On the scale of "problems", how far down does this one rank? I'll set the over/under at 10,038.

But this one makes some people feel better. Way to invest your biggest publicity wad on by far the most important one. :thumbsup:

Reporters aren't calling him up to ask. He is actively speaking out about this issue, which based on information from the Rick Reilly article it's debatable whether or not tribes even find the name offensive.

well there's your problem right there.

On the scale of "problems", how far down does this one rank? I'll set the over/under at 10,038.

But this one makes some people feel better. Way to invest your biggest publicity wad on by far the most important one. :thumbsup:

Hey, it moves the needle. Do you think the national media would be talking about a campaign to reduce alcoholism on Native American reservations?

Hey, it moves the needle. Do you think the national media would be talking about a campaign to reduce alcoholism on Native American reservations?

If they did, they'd be keelhauled. Where is the Hall of Fame for "outsiders" who spoke out about "insider problems", and lived (politically) to tell about it? Didn't we do this dance of the tards last summer with the focus on black-on-black crime in the wake of Trayvon verdict? Don't you remember the reception people actually heeding the belabored calls about "time for an honest discussion..." received?

NOBODY wanted an honest discussion about that any more than they want an outsider discussion about these issues. So we get this foolishness instead.

If they did, they'd be keelhauled. Where is the Hall of Fame for "outsiders" who spoke out about "insider problems", and lived (politically) to tell about it? Didn't we do this dance of the tards last summer with the focus on black-on-black crime in the wake of Trayvon verdict? Don't you remember the reception people actually heeding the belabored calls about "time for an honest discussion..." received?

NOBODY wanted an honest discussion about that any more than they want an outsider discussion about these issues. So we get this foolishness instead.

what?

So they should look to some of the causes of those internal problems, right?

http://sitemaker.umich.edu/daphna.oyserman/files/frybergmarkusoysermanstone2008.pdf

What has a greater impact on a persons self esteem or belief that they can achieve: a Native American mascot or coming home to a broken home and alcoholic parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles

Jesus Christ people.

Just because there are other problems in Native American society does not make it okay to have a name like the "Redskins."

Jesus Christ people.

Just because there are other problems in Native American society does not make it okay to have a name like the "Redskins."

Where is the national dialogue on those other issues? Also, I'm offended by your blasphemy. VERY OFFENDED.

Where is the national dialogue on those other issues? Also, I'm offended by your blasphemy. VERY OFFENDED.

Cool, I'm glad.

What exactly do you want the national dialogue to say? That the issues exist? That they need to be fixed? I don't think there is any disagreement about that. Dialogue requires disagreement. That's why this story moves the needle so much. If Redskins management and fans agreed with the people who think the name is offensive and changed the name, it wouldn't be a story anymore. Because there wouldn't be disagreement.

What has a greater impact on a persons self esteem or belief that they can achieve: a Native American mascot or coming home to a broken home and alcoholic parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles

which one is easier to change, and why shouldn't we? There is not a satisfactory answer to why we shouldn't.

I'm still not sure of your point here. I've agreed with you that the tomahawk chop sucks and should be gotten rid of. What does that have anything to do with the Redskins name?

I don't understand why the Skins have taken nearly 100% of the PC crowd's ire on this issue. You say you want the chop gone but you are not near as vocal about it.

Back