• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Redskins Name Change Thread

I was a little surprised that it was an 8-0 decision.
Why? The ruling makes sense. The PTO is not the PC police. This section was hilarious :

the PTO refused to register THE SLANTS because the PTO found the term disparaging to Asian Americans in the context of an all-Asian American rock band. But the PTO has already registered WHITE TRASH COWBOYS and OFF-WHITE TRASH for two all-white rock bands, and registered N.W.A.—an acronym that includes a racial slur against African Americans—for an all-African American rap group. ...

The examples do not end with musical groups. The PTO has registered DANGEROUS NEGRO, BAKED BY A NEGRO, CELEBRETARDS, RETARDIPEDIA, YELLOWMAN, RED MAN, STINKY GRINGO, GRINGO STYLE SALSA, GRINGO BBQ, YID DISH, LITTLE INDIAN GIVER, MIDGET-MAN, CRIPPLED OLD BIKER BASTARDS, OL GEEZER, WHITE GIRL WITH A BOOTY, OH!MY NAPPY HAIR, NAPPY ROOTS, BOYS ARE STUPID THROW ROCKS AT THEM, WHITE TRASH REBEL, DAGO SWAGG, REDNECK ARMY, CRACKA AZZ SKATEBOARDS, and DUMB BLONDE (twice), with no apparent regard to whether such marks may disparage women, men, racial groups, religious groups, elderly people, and disabled people.

Why? The ruling makes sense. The PTO is not the PC police. This section was hilarious :

the PTO refused to register THE SLANTS because the PTO found the term disparaging to Asian Americans in the context of an all-Asian American rock band. But the PTO has already registered WHITE TRASH COWBOYS and OFF-WHITE TRASH for two all-white rock bands, and registered N.W.A.—an acronym that includes a racial slur against African Americans—for an all-African American rap group. ...

The examples do not end with musical groups. The PTO has registered DANGEROUS NEGRO, BAKED BY A NEGRO, CELEBRETARDS, RETARDIPEDIA, YELLOWMAN, RED MAN, STINKY GRINGO, GRINGO STYLE SALSA, GRINGO BBQ, YID DISH, LITTLE INDIAN GIVER, MIDGET-MAN, CRIPPLED OLD BIKER BASTARDS, OL GEEZER, WHITE GIRL WITH A BOOTY, OH!MY NAPPY HAIR, NAPPY ROOTS, BOYS ARE STUPID THROW ROCKS AT THEM, WHITE TRASH REBEL, DAGO SWAGG, REDNECK ARMY, CRACKA AZZ SKATEBOARDS, and DUMB BLONDE (twice), with no apparent regard to whether such marks may disparage women, men, racial groups, religious groups, elderly people, and disabled people.

I'm not saying the decision doesn't make sense - it does. But the reports are replete with logical decisions to which dissents were written based on progressive ideas rather than the law.

Hadn't seen the logo. That could be pretty sweet with a few touch ups. Add some gold to it somehow.

Definitely yeoman's work on the hoax. Very well done. I would have believed it if it wasn't so unbelievable.

One day after the Cleveland Indians announced they would no longer use Chief Wahoo as a logo after this season, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said he did not see the Washington Redskins' nickname changing.

Despite increasing pressure the past several years, Snyder hasn't budged, once telling USA Today that he'll never change the nickname and "you can use caps." Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred supported the Indians' decision and had reportedly been pushing the team over the past year to go in that direction. Goodell does not sound inclined to do the same.

"Dan Snyder has really worked in the Native American community to understand better their perspective, and I think it's reflected mostly in a Washington Post poll that came out in [May 2016] that said over nine out of 10 Native Americans do not take that in a negative fashion, the Redskins' logo or the Redskins' name, and they support it," Goodell told Golic & Wingo.

Link

"Dan Snyder has really worked in the Native American community to understand better their perspective, and I think it's reflected mostly in a Washington Post poll that came out in [May 2016] that said over nine out of 10 Native Americans do not take that in a negative fashion, the Redskins' logo or the Redskins' name, and they support it," Goodell told Golic & Wingo.

but they don't count, they are unenlightened rubes, it's the PC opinion makers who count

The owner of the Washington football team was a proud, life-long, unrepentant racist. George Preston Marshall was the last owner to integrate.

He said things like:

"We'll start signing Negroes when the Harlem Globetrotters start signing whites."

said that Jim Brown integrated the end zone in DC

he wooed the former MGM starlet “amidst fragrant honeysuckle while a group of African American performers sang ‘Carry Me Back to Old Virginny'” (“Massa and Missus have long since gone before me/Soon we will meet on that bright and golden shore”). Attending them were two young black women dressed in costumes out of Gone With the Wind (published that same year) who brought them mint juleps

The only reason he integrated the team was that the federal government (who owned his stadium) gave him an ultimatum to either integrate the team or lose his place to play.

This team name was intended to be proudly racist.

This isn’t about political correctness run amok. It’s about right and wrong. It’s a clear moral choice. There are ways to honor Native American culture without trafficking in stereotypes so many have worked tirelessly to dispel. This isn’t about respecting the past, either, because distilling it down to that ignores the rich record of players on a team that is so much more than a logo.

At some point, every sports organization with a nickname that intended to pay homage to Native Americans understands the world changed and with it nicknames can, too. St. John’s got over it. Miami of Ohio got over it. Cleveland will get over it. Eventually, the Redskins will as well, sacrilegious to some Washington fans though that may sound. Because for every team, it comes down to a value proposition, and it pits the group of people who empathize with the damage of hard and soft bigotry against those who care to romanticize life in a time when a giant-nosed, huge-grinned cartoon represented something … good?

https://sports.yahoo.com/coming-terms-chief-wahoo-indians-history-031117969.html

of course it is about PC

the meanings of words are dependent on the context of their use and the intentions of the user

in the case of Redskins, neither the context nor the intentions of their users today are racist

historically Redskins has been used positively, neutrally and negatively, just as many other words

Back