• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Redskins Name Change Thread

He’s still upset they changed the fight song from “fight for old Dixie” to “fight for old DC”

For real? Never knew that.

It wasn't really. Here is a history of the fight song from Wikipedia. It is one of the oldest fight songs for NFL teams. First used in 1938.

Washington Fight Song

Some of "Dixie" was included in various musical arrangements. And "fight for dixie" was part of the lyrics for a few years (1959-1961).

I'd vote Warfighter over Warrior, but I think it'd be easier to ditch the Washington piece and go with DC something. DC United is an infinitely better name than Washington Wizards. Steal a good soccer name like DC Arsenal.

I actually really like the Washington Arsenal. But after the Bullets were forced to change their name, we're not getting anything gun related.

The lyrics to Hail to the Redskins were written by George Preston Marshall's, the Redskins owner from 1932 until he died in 1969, wife. Until the Cowboys joined the NFL, the Redskins were the only team located South of the Mason-Dixon line. Thus, the original lyric "Fight for Old Dixie". The Redskins were the last team to sign a black player, and only did so after JFK threatened to revoke the team's 30 year lease on DC Stadium which stood on federal land. A memorial honoring George Preston Marshall was removed from the RFK stadium site in the last few weeks.

Uh, my old Baltimore Colts were technically below the Mason-Dixon line as well and entered the league in the early 1950s. I mean, I think of both Baltimore and Washington as being more northeastern in character than southern, but they both are below the Mason-Dixon line. I had never really thought about it before but hadn't realized the Cowboys were the 1st NFL team in 1 of the confederate states. The Cards moved from Chicago to St. Louis around the same time, though Missouri has always been an ambiguous state. I also hadn't known the fight for old dixie line. But now that I think about it, I went to Wake in the mid 80s, and I remember being somewhat surprised at how most everyone from NC was a huge Redskins fan. (This was about a decade before the Panthers existence.)

Not trying to spread disinformation, but I had heard that he passed away. Hope that is wrong.
Sure you're not talking about Smidge (rest in peace)?

SkinsNDeacs was online ~2.5 months ago.

Uh, my old Baltimore Colts were technically below the Mason-Dixon line as well and entered the league in the early 1950s. I mean, I think of both Baltimore and Washington as being more northeastern in character than southern, but they both are below the Mason-Dixon line. I had never really thought about it before but hadn't realized the Cowboys were the 1st NFL team in 1 of the confederate states. The Cards moved from Chicago to St. Louis around the same time, though Missouri has always been an ambiguous state. I also hadn't known the fight for old dixie line. But now that I think about it, I went to Wake in the mid 80s, and I remember being somewhat surprised at how most everyone from NC was a huge Redskins fan. (This was about a decade before the Panthers existence.)

DC ownership (George P. Marshall) had from the time of the move to DC, positioned itself as the "team of the south" as there was no team to its south until the Cowboys came into existence. DC had a 15 year head start on Baltimore marketing itself as the "team of the south." It also had geography, being the southernmost team in the NFL. Also, Marshall had personal views that fit with those of many white southerners.

Last edited:
I'm trying to imagine how the name controversy would have played out if it had become an issue while Edward Bennett Williams essentially ran and was part-owner of the team. He had an interesting group of friends and clients. Mourners at his funeral ranged from Justice Thurgood Marshall to Michael Milken. Definitely an owner for an earlier day and time.

Back