• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Redskins Name Change Thread

RollWave35

#KeepPounding
Reaction score
A D.C. Council member is preparing to introduce a resolution calling on the Washington Redskins to change its name, perhaps to the Washington Redtails.

Council member David Grosso, an independent elected last year, said he plans to pursue his non-binding resolution because the current name is “a derogatory, racist name.”

“It’s been a long time that we’ve had this name associated with Washington, and I think its time we take a stand and change it,” Grosso said.

Grosso is circulating his resolution to other council members to try to get co-sponsors. So far, he said, council members Muriel Bowser (D-Ward 4) and Kenyan McDuffie (D-Ward 5) have agreed to sign on to it.
Earlier this year, Mayor Vincent C. Gray (D) said he would also like the name changed. But Redskins owner Daniel Snyder and team officials have largely avoided the debate, giving no indications that they are seriously considering such a change.

According to Grosso’s resolution, which he said he plans to formally introduce in a few weeks, the 13-member council would declare that “District residents and their elected representatives should not tolerate commercial or other use of derogatory terminology relating to any people’s racial identity, or which dishonors any person’s race, or which dishonors the name Washington.”

“Washington’s name has been dishonored by association with the word ‘Redskins,’ ” the resolution states. “Because it is well known in America and in nations afar that American Indians have experienced utmost suffering and disrespect over the years.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...6cb72c-b1a7-11e2-bbf2-a6f9e9d79e19_story.html

You figure this has to happen at some point, right? Its been talked about for years.

Guess what! The Redskins play in Maryland and practice in Virginia! SUCK IT D.C.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They should just say fuck it and change the name to the "PG Ballaz."

[Joe] Welcome to Landover, Maryland for the epic match up between the Dallas Cowboys and the PG Ballaz."[Buck]

Sounds pretty good to me.

When I was in the Army I was stationed for a year at Fort Jackson in Columbia, S.C. I was kind of surprised when I got there that the lead story on the local evening news most days was what happened at South Carolina's football practice that day, followed by a report on Clemson's practice.

PETA caused a stir during that time by sending a letter to the University president at South Carolina asking that the team's mascot be changed, as using "Gamecocks" as their mascot glorified cockfighting and cruelty to animals. As alternatives, they suggested that the name be changed to the "Gym Socks" or "Pet Rocks." People in Columbia went totally insane with rage. it was pretty hilarious.

It ain't happening. The name will not change. This has been an offseason debate for 20 years.

No way this happens. Snyder isn't forking over the cash it would take to re-brand...especially not a brand that's worth as much as the Redskins.

Georgetown Law grad David Grosso:

769113265.png

And the other two on board, Muriel Bowser and Kenyon McDuffie:

Muriel_Bowser-11.jpg

Kenyan+McDuffie+%232.jpeg

You probably don't think these three can change the Name to the Washington Recidivists but Dan Snyder is going to have his hands full with these eager young pols.

No way this happens. Snyder isn't forking over the cash it would take to re-brand...especially not a brand that's worth as much as the Redskins.

I don't think it is happening (anytime soon) but not for the reason you said. A re-branding, if done right (and Snyder would do it right) would make the team more money. Especially with a player like RGIII leading the way in new apparel sales.

I had a friend call me a cracker today. Thought it was funny. Names only have the power we give them. Jiveturkey.

Ive always thought is was cool that Dallas and Washington were football rivalries and their mascots were actual rivals in Cowboys and Redskins

Back