• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Redskins Name Change Thread

I love that the guy trademarked the "Washington Radskins." Can you imagine them changing the name to Radskins? He must have been high or something.

Isn't there some law that says if you go and trademark names just to do something like this that the trademark is invalid? Seems like I recall something similar a while back.

Anybody else find it weird that Ron Rivera is so involved with the mascot change?

Anybody else find it weird that Ron Rivera is so involved with the mascot change?

I certainly do. He’s the brand new head coach. I could maybe see it if he had Belichick or Tomlin level tenure, but it’s odd to me that he seems to be the main mouthpiece on this issue

He has a military family background which leads me to wonder if the new name has something to do with the troops

There's a lot of good aviation related logos available: crosshairs, fighter pilot gear

f-35+crosshairs.jpg

Tuskegee Airmen logo is pretty sweet:

images

Last edited:
Is there any connection to the Red Tails other than being able to keep the colors and try to somehow cancel out their previous racist nickname?

Based on nothing, I think Snyder feels cornered and the new guy may be the only one he can trust.

Is there any connection to the Red Tails other than being able to keep the colors and try to somehow cancel out their previous racist nickname?

That and it’s red.

Elle Duncan made two good points on Around the Horn today. Her grandfather was a Tuskegee airman and she doesn’t think they’d enjoy being associated with such a pathetic franchise. Second, adopting a military name isn’t really getting ahead of the zeitgeist.

On its face, “Red Tails” is no different than “Blue Devils,” a French WWI battalion. But adopting a US military name in the nation’s capital in 2020 isn’t a great message for a game and league trying to go global.

I certainly do. He’s the brand new head coach. I could maybe see it if he had Belichick or Tomlin level tenure, but it’s odd to me that he seems to be the main mouthpiece on this issue

Rivera is one of the few people from his team leadership that Snyder hasn't fired. So, right now he is one of the few people Snyder has in position with decent title.

I don't. Since he is half Mexican and half Puerto Rican I can only imagine if a name was chosen and he had no involvement. The media would go bat shit. "why did you pick a name and not consult your minority coach".

Wait - can we confirm that SkinsandDeacs is alive? That guy was great. Hung with him at the Military Bowl years ago.

Hearing rumors that they're going with Washington Teletubbies.

Wait - can we confirm that SkinsandDeacs is alive? That guy was great. Hung with him at the Military Bowl years ago.

I think I’m friends with him on Facebook and he posted there last week.

Pretty sure his initials are MB if you're not sure it's him. You might want to poke him though.

Yeah. That's him. The last response to one of his posts is literally, "Look who is alive."

I've got a few Facebook friends who are posters I've only met once or maybe never but I don't remember all of their board handles.

Last edited:
One of the names being pushed is "Redwolves." There is a group in Columbia, NC, the Red Wolf Coalition, that already owns the domain "redwolves.com." They've been around a while, since 1997. They appear to be pretty legit, as they awarded scholarships to two young women for college attendance beginning in fall of 2020.

Just one of many hurdles before Washington has a name for its football team.

ETA:

Red Wolves were indigenous to all of the southeast US, from Texas to Virginia. They were hunted to extinction in the wild by 1980. However, a captive breeding population produced enough offspring that a group was released into five counties in northeast NC in 1987. The population grew until Illegal hunting considerably reduced the numbers again.

Last edited:
Arkansas State may have also something to say about the use of Red Wolves as they already sent a cease and desist letter to a soccer team trying to use that nickname: https://newschannel9.com/news/local...e-and-desist-letter-to-chattanooga-red-wolves

The above is going to be an issue for almost any new name. Somebody, or multiple somebodies will already be using it for some purpose. If "Redwolves" is the choice for DC, I suspect that Arkansas State could be convinced to share if compensated. Let the lawyers put their efforts toward reaching a deal, not fighting in court.

ETA:

There are already instances of pro and college teams sharing nicknames:
Philadelphia Eagles, Boston College Eagles, American U Eagles.
Detroit Tigers, Clemson Tigers, LSU Tigers.
Detroit Lions, U of North Alabama, Paine College.

Last edited:
Back