• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wilmington/Wrightsville lodging recommendations

Buttermaker

Reaction score
Looking at a weekend visit in June with Ms Buttermaker. Suggestions?

Thanks for starting this. I'm headed there on business this summer and need to figure out where to stay.

I've never stayed there, but the Blockade Runner is a good location relative to things to do in Wrightsville. The other resorts are pretty far down the island.

I would recommend looking at rentals. Bryant Realty has a pretty good presence down there. That's who my parents use to rent their place. Good luck trying to get a weekend in June though, most places are probably just doing weeklies in peak season.

If you find a place near the King Neptune restaurant (which sucks, don't eat there), you can walk to any and everything on the island. In June, the less you have to drive, the better.

Stone St./Lumina Ave is the middle of the bar/restaurant scene. Like df07 said, Blockade Runner is close but is pretty pricey.

There are a lot of 1 br/1ba condo vrbo's that are pretty cheap relative to the Blockade Runner/Holiday Inn that you can usually do for a 2 night minimum. You're looking at peak season though so be prepared for outrageous prices.

*relatively cheap as in you're getting more space in a condo than what you'd get for a hotel room.. It's still probably going to be +$200 a night.

If you find a place on the other side of the channel, that walk isn't that bad, and prices should be cheaper.

Thanks for starting this. I'm headed there on business this summer and need to figure out where to stay.

Yeah, thanks for starting this. I was planning on a weekend there with Ms. Buttermaker too!

Hey butterball, pm me and I'll shoot you some dining recs if you like to eat and spend more than $30 at dinner.

I love that town.

He's going to suggest Ruth's Chris and some godawful Korean BBQ no doubt. There, saved you the pm.

My family has a place on Wrightsville between the Blockade Runner and the Bridge. The Blockade runner (worked there 3 summers) is great if you want a "resort", but at the same time it really is just a Hotel on the beach with a nice pool & bar. The Summer Sands is cheaper and better if you are just wanting a nice place to stay with a good location. Comes with a small kitchen which is nice for cocktail hour watching the Sunset or breakfast. BR has a decent restaurant but both in walking distance to downtown Wrightville for other option.

Not that you should ever drink and drive, but NEVER D&D at Wrightsville beach, EVER!

Wilmington is def an underrated city. Its cheesy as hell but I love the ghost tour.

How about Wilmington hotels? Ideally within walking distance to stuff.

had a conference last summer at the Hilton Wilmington Riverside. I liked it but I guess it depends on what you're looking for in a hotel.

I know nothing about downtown hotels, but anything along the river should be pretty much close enough to walk anywhere. The downtown area is not spread out at all.

If you like B&Bs, The Verandas on the corner of 2nd and Nun streets is nice. It about 3 blocks from all the downtown stuff, the river etc.

You can try the Holiday Inn or even Shell Island for places to stay on Wrightsville Beach. They are a little more up the beach from the bars, but it is about a 5 dollar beach buggy down to Lagerheads or Jerry Allen's right across the street. They just redid Jerry Allen's and it looks really nice. Be sure to eat at Tower 7 when you are in that area.

You can try the Holiday Inn or even Shell Island for places to stay on Wrightsville Beach. They are a little more up the beach from the bars, but it is about a 5 dollar beach buggy down to Lagerheads or Jerry Allen's right across the street. They just redid Jerry Allen's and it looks really nice. Be sure to eat at Tower 7 when you are in that area.

This

If you're just going for a weekend, you may have a difficult time renting a house or condo in June, as those generally rent out by the week over the summer.

I used to stay at the Sunspree, but lately have stayed at the Blockade Runner. The rooms are just as nice, but unlike the Sunspree it's walkable to the (few) restaurants and bars right there when you arrive on the island. Also, they have a free breakfast buffet that is solid.

Back