• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tournament Players Championship

How much did Sergio just cost himself? Shot at a win to 8th place at best? Possible 7 way tie for 8th?

Merion will be a best. It's short like Muggsy and defends itself like he did.

Well that was fun. Really wish Lingmerth had birdied 17, but the Sergio collapse after his incessant bitching and moaning was sweet. I love how 10 years later they're still talking about Sergio like he's a 19-year-old who's going to mature any day now... I also loved when the Golf Channel played his recap of the event over the actual video of the event, because he describes it as the entire crowd screaming during his swing but when Tiger pulled his club like 2 people gave a quick cheer and a handful started clapping.

"That hole has been good to me for the most part. Today it wasn't. That's the way it is. That's the kind of hole it is. You've got to love it for what it is."

Not "I hit a bad shot" which he did, or "I was between clubs and took a line that was too aggressive" which he also did - but it was the hole's fault. Just like his "I'm playing against more than the field" crap after he lost to Harrigton in The Open.

Is there anyone in golf (or in sports for that matter) with a bigger loser mentality than Sergio Garcia?

DC, I didn't mind Sergio's comments so much, and I think he has matured some over the last couple of years to his credit. While he was fatalistic, he said how much he loved the hole. Add to that he was polite with no incidents at the Ryder Cup last year (at least that I heard of). And when you watch him being interviewed, he is still outspoken to his detriment but he's much calmer and matter of fact than he was years ago. He used to be petulent and would have little temper tantrums with the press. While I still wouldn't call him the most mature guy on tour, he is better than he used to be, and I don't hate him nearly as much as I used to. I merely smiled at his meltdown on 17 yesterday, whereas I rejoiced a few years ago at how Harrington beat him in that playoff at Carnastie. To me, Poulter has surpassed Sergio at being the biggest dick in the game.

Rule question:
After Sergio's 2nd tee ball bounced backward into the water, (had cleared water) couldn't he have dropped at a spot to the left of the entry point (on the island)? There was room available, 2 club lengths, no closer to the hole, rather than tee up a 3rd. Did he have a choice of action?

I think the 17th is NOT marked as a lateral hazard (red stakes / lines), so the 2-club option is not available.

I'll give you Poulter, that's true. And everybody matures a little. I just think these days with all the media coaching these guys have, you can pretty much tune out the canned responses. It's the unfiltered comments that occasionally sneak out that give you an actual view into what the player's really thinking, and Sergio's are always defeatist or they're petty complaints or gripes. Plus while he's blowing the TPC he's laughing and shrugging it off. Seemed like he'd have preferred caddying for Lingmerth than grinding out a win...

Back