• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tournament Players Championship

Poor Sergio.

Asked if he had the “Woods thing’’ to do all over again, if he would do anything differently, Garcia said, “No, no. You know, I don’t have any regrets of anything. I don’t know, it sounds like I was the bad guy here. I was the victim.’’

I love the variety of reactions from the fans in this picture; elation, shock, bewilderment...

CONF-P1-Sergio-Richard-Heathcote.jpg

DC, I didn't mind Sergio's comments so much, and I think he has matured some over the last couple of years to his credit. While he was fatalistic, he said how much he loved the hole. Add to that he was polite with no incidents at the Ryder Cup last year (at least that I heard of). And when you watch him being interviewed, he is still outspoken to his detriment but he's much calmer and matter of fact than he was years ago. He used to be petulent and would have little temper tantrums with the press. While I still wouldn't call him the most mature guy on tour, he is better than he used to be, and I don't hate him nearly as much as I used to. I merely smiled at his meltdown on 17 yesterday, whereas I rejoiced a few years ago at how Harrington beat him in that playoff at Carnastie. To me, Poulter has surpassed Sergio at being the biggest dick in the game.

Singh is right up there if that is the question.

Rule question:
After Sergio's 2nd tee ball bounced backward into the water, (had cleared water) couldn't he have dropped at a spot to the left of the entry point (on the island)? There was room available, 2 club lengths, no closer to the hole, rather than tee up a 3rd. Did he have a choice of action?

Yes, he did have the option. He said in his post round interview that he liked his option from the tee box better, although he obviously did not pull it off. He said the drop area would have been a shot with the wind to his back and a hard shot to do & stop the ball anywhere close. He though he just had to hit his 9 iron a little harder to have it perfect for the bogey save. Trouble was a small gust came up "gust from the gods Romes" and his ball hit the top of the trap & bounced back in. SO he just hit the 9 iron a little harder the 3rd time & got it on.

Yes, he did have the option. He said in his post round interview that he liked his option from the tee box better, although he obviously did not pull it off. He said the drop area would have been a shot with the wind to his back and a hard shot to do & stop the ball anywhere close. He though he just had to hit his 9 iron a little harder to have it perfect for the bogey save. Trouble was a small gust came up "gust from the gods Romes" and his ball hit the top of the trap & bounced back in. SO he just hit the 9 iron a little harder the 3rd time & got it on.

You misunderstood the question, Reff- the question was whether he had the option of dropping on the island - two club lengths from where the ball went in. I think the answer was no, since it is not a lateral hazard.

You misunderstood the question, Reff- the question was whether he had the option of dropping on the island - two club lengths from where the ball went in. I think the answer was no, since it is not a lateral hazard.

That was the question, and I believe you to be correct. I didn't see any red lines. But, wonder, why not? I assume to make one re-tee or go to the designated drop area.

perhaps it was to give the reff an opportunity to say something really stupid. thank you sergio.

It also wasn't a 9 iron, it was a pitching wedge.

But yeah, it's just a normal water hazard so no dice on two club-lengths.

Probably some bullshit on both sides. At the very least the marshals were moving the fans around to give Tiger an alley so he could hit the ball and did not have the quiet signs raised for Sergio's shot. Did a marshal actually say "Ok Tiger, Sergio's done, your turn!" No. Should Tiger have been paying more attention? Yes. Is it some kind of horrible oversight to pull a 5 wood out of your bag if you're well off the fairway and focused on your next shot? No.

Someone making a putt on #1 green would have been louder than that. Such a pathetic gripe to take to the media.

Oh, I have no problem with Tiger pulling the 5 wood. I don't think he did anything wrong regardless of whether the marshals said anything to him or not.

I'm just not surprised in defending himself that he lied to do it....even though he didn't need to.

The fact the marshal went as far as saying "lack of character" shows that guy has an agenda. If he didn't he would have said something, "I didn't say anything" or "he didn't ask". Jumping right to character makes me doubt anything he says.

Back