• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

Speaking of which, there is an influx of post Christmas puppies at the local humane societies and pounds. Quite a few Christmas gifts are being dropped off because people either didnt want them or couldnt take care of them. That news story is what got us looking again.

$380.00

More than I'd normally spend on a vacuum, but the "nice" ones we've been getting in the past have filled up with hair and lost suction not long after we got them. This one came with tons of recommendations.

So I crated my new dog today for the first time. In at 8:30. Came home at lunch for a walk and some play then back in. Back out around 5:00.

I think the separation might have really upset her. She's super tired and isn't playful like she has been the past few days. Any tips before we do this all over again tomorrow?

So I crated my new dog today for the first time. In at 8:30. Came home at lunch for a walk and some play then back in. Back out around 5:00.

I think the separation might have really upset her. She's super tired and isn't playful like she has been the past few days. Any tips before we do this all over again tomorrow?

Stay consistent with the crate. She'll adjust.

Crate training is an awesome thing. Our dogs know that the crate is their safe spot. They may not always "want" to go in there when we have to leave, but they don't fear or hate the crate. In fact, they often just go in there and sleep when their tired.

Also, the Dyson Animal Vacuum is worth the price. Honestly. Take care of it and it's a value at 400 bucks. It's a total lifesaver, even in a house with no carpet. We use it to vacuum the hardwoods and the furniture. It's a monster.

$380.00

More than I'd normally spend on a vacuum, but the "nice" ones we've been getting in the past have filled up with hair and lost suction not long after we got them. This one came with tons of recommendations.

We've had the animal for about a year now. Best.Vacuum.Ever.

The warranty is incredible. A friend of mine broke his after 4 years of use and Dyson replaced the entire thing, no questions asked.

Would it still be possible to crate train a dog somewhere between 1 and 2 yrs old?

Crate training is an awesome thing. Our dogs know that the crate is their safe spot. They may not always "want" to go in there when we have to leave, but they don't fear or hate the crate. In fact, they often just go in there and sleep when their tired.

Also, the Dyson Animal Vacuum is worth the price. Honestly. Take care of it and it's a value at 400 bucks. It's a total lifesaver, even in a house with no carpet. We use it to vacuum the hardwoods and the furniture. It's a monster.

I know we'll get to that eventually. I had to rush the crate training and I'm seeing the results I think. There is also some separation anxiety. I can't even leave her alone outside at this point without some barking and whining. There was LOTS of barking and whining when I left the house today (I could hear it outside).

Would it still be possible to crate train a dog somewhere between 1 and 2 yrs old?

Yes, just be firm and patient.

I know we'll get to that eventually. I had to rush the crate training and I'm seeing the results I think. There is also some separation anxiety. I can't even leave her alone outside at this point without some barking and whining. There was LOTS of barking and whining when I left the house today (I could hear it outside).

Yeah, I know about separation anxiety from the Weimaraners, although my Weimie now is not nearly as bad as my last one that once tore down a bathroom door, then a kitchen door and then jumped through a screen storm door to get outside to where he thought we were. I spent the rest of that Saturday on a beach trip repairing the family beach house...

Sounds like you're doing things the right way though. Just don't give in too easily as you do have to be the master. (Says the guy with the really spoiled dogs...)

I think we are going to foster a little fella from an adoption agency this week, possibly looking to adopt ourselves.

I didn't have any doubts, but I got a call today informing us we've been approved through the humane society. They're getting spayed/neutered next week and we can arrange a meeting. Looks like we are well on our way to adopting a second rescue. Sadly we can't take both puppies, so we'll have to choose.

yeah, in a similar situation my family definitely thought we were taking 'cora' and ended up with the other dog; was just a better fit.

That's how we ended up with Harvey. The dog we wanted ended up being lazy and did nothing but lay around. Harvey was more energetic so we ended up with him.

Cora's description was more like the lazy dog and Kirby like Harvey. I think we'll bring him along to see who he fits best with.

New foster: I named her Panda for now (Great Pyr primarily with some Border Collie)
Couldn't get her to stay still for a picture of her face. Definitely the most fluffy puppy I've seen in a while.
1zd0m5h.jpg

Last edited:
Back