• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

After more than a week away on vacation I missed my girls something fierce. I mean, how could I not?

ae6c3e731d5db19a64437b623ff958a1.jpg

ec64ac4172c098b35fad08032eaae76b.jpg

New puppy will be joining the Tannen household in February. Not sure how our current dog, Mookie will react. Picture from the breeder, currently 8 weeks old. They're going to house train him and teach basic commands.

28tl1tw.jpg

He's an Australian Labradoodle who will max out around 20 lbs.

I wanted to name him Lamont Sanford and call him Lamont or Big Dummy, but the wife said no. Daughter wanted to call him Chubb after Nick Chubb. Current legal name that we gave the breeder is Selwyn Snoop, so we could call him either of those names. However, there is now a push for Muggsy, which would work well from a point guard perspective with Mookie.

New puppy will be joining the Tannen household in February. Not sure how our current dog, Mookie will react. Picture from the breeder, currently 8 weeks old. They're going to house train him and teach basic commands.

28tl1tw.jpg

He's an Australian Labradoodle who will max out around 20 lbs.

I wanted to name him Lamont Sanford and call him Lamont or Big Dummy, but the wife said no. Daughter wanted to call him Chubb after Nick Chubb. Current legal name that we gave the breeder is Selwyn Snoop, so we could call him either of those names. However, there is now a push for Muggsy, which would work well from a point guard perspective with Mookie.

Cute pupper.

Only 20 lbs though? Guessing it's coming from a toy poodle heritage/line?

Australian Labradoodles come from Labrador Retreivers and Standard Poodles. Strains of Cocker Spaniels and Irish Water Spaniels have been mixed in. They're only bred from each other at this point and not just when somebody gets an idea to make their own dog mix. I met a couple of dogs from the breeder here in Charlotte and they're smart and energetic. The dad is a little smaller than the mom who is closer to a standard size, but is a labradoodle too.

Australian Labradoodles come from Labrador Retreivers and Standard Poodles. Strains of Cocker Spaniels and Irish Water Spaniels have been mixed in. They're only bred from each other at this point and not just when somebody gets an idea to make their own dog mix. I met a couple of dogs from the breeder here in Charlotte and they're smart and energetic. The dad is a little smaller than the mom who is closer to a standard size, but is a labradoodle too.

Yeah I knew that, I've only ever seen standard size 40-60lb ones though tbh. I know they're only bred with each other at this point (or are supposed to be), but different lines started with different poodles (standard/miniature/toy) I think (after doing some quick reading), so you get a pretty big variety of sizes afaik. Kinda weird since they're trying to make the breed legitimate, you'd think they'd settle on one size.

Labradoodles are such a mixed bag. I've got two sets of friends that have one and they couldn't be more different dogs. Hopefully the Australians are a little more predictable given the actual efforts to only breed them with each other at this point.

Yep. I have a friend who has a dog that came from a Lab and a Poodle. The dog is dumb as fuck with tons of energy and sheds everywhere.

Biff that is one awesome looking pooch! Can I submit a vote for “Chubb”. - Go Dawgs!

What's the best way to keep my dog Palmer from jumping on people? She's the most friendly pup ever (2.5 years old now) who gets along with all dogs and people. But she can't contain her excitement when she meets people for the first time, or hasn't seen them in a while.

I've tried keeping her leashed while meeting, spraying with a water bottle, making people turn their backs to her, etc. Nothing works.

What's the best way to keep my dog Palmer from jumping on people? She's the most friendly pup ever (2.5 years old now) who gets along with all dogs and people. But she can't contain her excitement when she meets people for the first time, or hasn't seen them in a while.

I've tried keeping her leashed while meeting, spraying with a water bottle, making people turn their backs to her, etc. Nothing works.

Slice the Achilles' tendons in her rear legs.

Do you use a harness? Or gentle leader?

A knee to the underside also works well.

I've used the leash method too, and actually with a shorter leash kept on her that she dragged around. Anytime she went to jump up we'd step on it. Not sure if this is what you meant when you said you've tried putting the leash on, but you could put a leash on him when someone comes to the door, and before opening the door, step on the leash to keep him from jumping. Preventative, rather than reactive. That worked really well when training my old dog, but not as well with my current one.

For the current pup, a dog behaviorist told me to step towards the dog when she jumps up, instead of backing up or turning. That has actually worked... The idea is that part of the jumping, beyond the excitement, is also sort of a dominant move because the dog is moving you back and taking up your space. If you step into her space, you're showing her dominance and she's more likely to back up (and even sit!). I use that method, and if she is about to jump I also kind of put my knee up and/or hand down to push her shoulders before/at the beginning of her jump (while also stepping forward). She doesn't really jump at me anymore, but if by chance she goes to, these things do work.

I for one was amazed when this behaviorist initially came to my house. Just by looking at my pup, she was able to make her sit without even saying anything. It was pretty cool to see.

Good luck!

I've used the leash method too, and actually with a shorter leash kept on her that she dragged around. Anytime she went to jump up we'd step on it. Not sure if this is what you meant when you said you've tried putting the leash on, but you could put a leash on him when someone comes to the door, and before opening the door, step on the leash to keep him from jumping. Preventative, rather than reactive. That worked really well when training my old dog, but not as well with my current one.

For the current pup, a dog behaviorist told me to step towards the dog when she jumps up, instead of backing up or turning. That has actually worked... The idea is that part of the jumping, beyond the excitement, is also sort of a dominant move because the dog is moving you back and taking up your space. If you step into her space, you're showing her dominance and she's more likely to back up (and even sit!). I use that method, and if she is about to jump I also kind of put my knee up and/or hand down to push her shoulders before/at the beginning of her jump (while also stepping forward). She doesn't really jump at me anymore, but if by chance she goes to, these things do work.

I for one was amazed when this behaviorist initially came to my house. Just by looking at my pup, she was able to make her sit without even saying anything. It was pretty cool to see.

Good luck!

Very good feedback. I've tried the stepping on the leash thing when people come over, but was never diligent about it. Will give it another go.

The problem is, she rarely (if ever) jumps on me because she knows I'm the dominant one, so I can't really practice anything. But when new people, especially girls, come over, she can't contain her excitement and wants to jump all over them. Guess I need to train the people as well.

I use the knee method. Just stick it up in the air and let the dog's chest/belly run into it. My dog stopped jumping up pretty quickly.

Very good feedback. I've tried the stepping on the leash thing when people come over, but was never diligent about it. Will give it another go.

The problem is, she rarely (if ever) jumps on me because she knows I'm the dominant one, so I can't really practice anything. But when new people, especially girls, come over, she can't contain her excitement and wants to jump all over them. Guess I need to train the people as well.

I had similar struggles in being consistent and her knowing not to jump on me, but doing it with other people. Training can be hard that way; with certain things I've just given up. lol

Back