• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

I love my 8 year old guys but one of them seems to be losing his mind. He is peeing and pooping all over the place inside and it is driving me and the wife insane. He has ruined a couple of carpets.

Is it bad or should I feel guilty to put him down over that?

Lol did you take him to the vet? Yeah otherwise I'd feel guilty for that.

Yeah, my older dog takes meds every now and then when she starts to "leak." It is nasty, but we figured it out over the last year or so. If she gets to much exercise or to hot, she starts to leak and wont stop without the meds. So, we have some on hand and don't let her run anymore. Just walks for the old lady these days.

Dog and I just got back from the vet and he has low platelet counts. Not sure what's causing it at this point but the meds he's been on for a month or so are causing more accidents than he's ever had before. And this guy doesn't just pee a little when he goes in the house. Poor dog and poor carpets.

Best of luck. Probably excessive to mention to folks on this thread, but remember to be careful taking dogs on walks/runs as hot as it is. I wanted to physically harm one of my best friends when he managed to let my dog Palmer's paws get destroyed by hot asphalt last summer.

Basically, if you put your hand down and it hurts after a couple seconds on the pavement, don't take your dog on it.

Yeah, my older dog takes meds every now and then when she starts to "leak." It is nasty, but we figured it out over the last year or so. If she gets to much exercise or to hot, she starts to leak and wont stop without the meds. So, we have some on hand and don't let her run anymore. Just walks for the old lady these days.

My 13 year old Doberman mix has been on Proin for the last 2 months. Working like a champ so far.

Best of luck. Probably excessive to mention to folks on this thread, but remember to be careful taking dogs on walks/runs as hot as it is. I wanted to physically harm one of my best friends when he managed to let my dog Palmer's paws get destroyed by hot asphalt last summer.

Basically, if you put your hand down and it hurts after a couple seconds on the pavement, don't take your dog on it.

Yeah, have always heard if you can't keep your hand on the pavement for 5 seconds, don't take your dog on it.

For Charlotte peeps, I went to Lucky Dog Bark & Brew Tuesday. Loved that place, as did my dogs. Dog bar with indoor and outdoor off-leash play areas. plus the main bar area on the inside is leash only, which is where we stayed. Cool people, staff, vibe and dogs. Also is a doggie day care, groomer, etc.

My 13 year old Doberman mix has been on Proin for the last 2 months. Working like a champ so far.

Yeah, have always heard if you can't keep your hand on the pavement for 5 seconds, don't take your dog on it.

For Charlotte peeps, I went to Lucky Dog Bark & Brew Tuesday. Loved that place, as did my dogs. Dog bar with indoor and outdoor off-leash play areas. plus the main bar area on the inside is leash only, which is where we stayed. Cool people, staff, vibe and dogs. Also is a doggie day care, groomer, etc.

Nice, I'll have to bring Zusi over there. And take the keys out of the car this time :thumbsup:

Lucky Dog is sweet, but tough to handle on busy Saturdays. I made the mistake of going last year on the "get your dog's picture with Santa" day by accident last year. Total cluster.

I love my 8 year old guys but one of them seems to be losing his mind. He is peeing and pooping all over the place inside and it is driving me and the wife insane. He has ruined a couple of carpets.

Is it bad or should I feel guilty to put him down over that?

I thought I'd opened the Parenting thread and got really confused until I figured it out in the last line.

"Creek" might be his new favorite after this weekend.

21272363_10159268925450440_9059216288448820780_n.jpg

21232021_10159268925635440_360912735404119570_n.jpg

I love the other dog looking at the one "hunting" the red dot like, "dude, stop, this is just embarrassing for all of us."

My dog does this for hours every day up on her perch. Always patrolling the hood.

238a8d7426da5109bb65ba781361ce19.jpg

She needed the cone a couple months back for a bit because she wouldn’t leave a scratch alone. She was not happy at all

8174b0e1a5e553af5d00bcc13df53b65.jpg

Today is a sad day that we knew was coming. We had to put down our 14 year-old golden retriever, Kelsea. Like a lot of old goldens, she had hip problems and had gotten to the point where she simply could no longer get up. Her legs would just spray out behind here.

We had Kelsea her entire life. RIP, old girl.

That horrible day finally came for our Bella yesterday. She was two months shy of her 16th birthday, but here she is in her past glory, before neck surgery and time left her scarred and tired (but still feisty enough to steal your chicken if you weren't careful.)

23172802_10156044950674260_581777008499242260_n.jpg

Bella had slowed down considerably this past summer and about 5 weeks ago something happened (we think maybe a stroke or a brain tumor that got big enough to cause neurological issues) and she started head pressing, wandering into corners, etc. We put her on special food and supplements to help with cognitive function but she was clearly never quite herself these past 5 weeks or so.

Night before last she slept with us in the bed and yesterday morning she was cuddled up with my wife. She didn't want to go out to the bathroom so she tried to hide under the covers. I ran her out and she trotted around the yard and even dug in the dirt a little. She came inside and had her breakfast, although slower than she used to, like everything else these past few weeks. After going back out again she went into her puppy pocket in her crate, which was pretty much her favorite place to be, ever, and she settled down and went to sleep.

I went up to my office and began my normal work routine. When I came down to let the dogs out around 2 p.m. she was gone. She was still in her puppy pocket. Her body was still warm, but she had slipped away a couple of hours before most likely. She simply went to sleep yesterday and just didn't wake up again.

I already miss her so much. She was always the alpha, the queen bee, and now there is a void, even with the other dogs in the house.

I'm glad she went peacefully and with no prolonged illness, and I am thrilled she was in my life for nearly 16 years as a constant, great friend. But damn do I miss her already...

This thread is tough to read. So many wonderful dogs passing away. My shitzu Charlie is about 8 years old I think (we found him in parking lot 6 years ago), and he is still spry and playful, but he cant jump up on our bed anymore, so he stands on my wifes side of the bed and whines to be picked up. I'm wondering if some joint supplements might help him.

This thread is tough to read. So many wonderful dogs passing away. My shitzu Charlie is about 8 years old I think (we found him in parking lot 6 years ago), and he is still spry and playful, but he cant jump up on our bed anymore, so he stands on my wifes side of the bed and whines to be picked up. I'm wondering if some joint supplements might help him.

I’d definitely recommend them. Our vet even said our two year old should take small doses. We started giving them to our 14 year old that passed away this year when she was 11 and I’m convinced it helped her get around more easily in her last years. She could still jump on the couch until her last few months.

Back