• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

man, just got the word from the wife that our dog has a 'gnarly sized mass' on his stomach, liver or pancreas

Gross question - how do you get a dog to stop eating poop? It's easy when they're on a leash, but when they're out in a fenced in yard, it's impossible, unless you're monitoring them 100% of the time. I've heard/read that there are powders you can put on their (and your other pets') food to make it taste horrible. Any specific recs?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=19133

My parent's dog used to eat my dog's poop when he would go to visit. This helped some. Give them to your girlfriend's dog.

Haven’t posted a pic of my girls lately. They’re perfect.

402bcf99efc95fa29dcdf35f91e78237.jpg

I've had 7 retriever breed (golden & flat coat) dogs in my lifetime but one of my current ones is the first I've experienced "exercise induced collapse." He'll be playing then all of a sudden his back legs get super weak and he basically slinks around for a short time and/or quickly sits down and stays down (on his belly). Comes out of the blue as sometimes it's 5 minutes of activity, other times it's 30 minutes +. It was scary at first but it's not a big deal since we identified the issue and he's never pushed past that point to where he could damage his body. After a few minutes of relaxing he pops up like his normal self.

According to the University of Minnesota, EIC is pretty much confined to retriever breeds.

Last edited:
Can dogs tell if women are pregnant? My dog has become more attached to my wife in the last few months. He's always been a lap dog, but now he immedietely lays on or with her as soon as she sits down.

Can dogs tell if women are pregnant? My dog has become more attached to my wife in the last few months. He's always been a lap dog, but now he immedietely lays on or with her as soon as she sits down.

Yes, especially if they're the father.

Any recommendations for an electric fence?

We have a large lot with a conservation area. Our 22 lbs beagle has dug under the picket fence and gotten out twice in the last few weeks. Our options seem to be to drop down a few hundred stakes under the fence or 100+ lbs or rocks and dirt under the fence. An electric fence would be easier, but I'm not sure about the reliability.

Any recommendations for an electric fence?

We have a large lot with a conservation area. Our 22 lbs beagle has dug under the picket fence and gotten out twice in the last few weeks. Our options seem to be to drop down a few hundred stakes under the fence or 100+ lbs or rocks and dirt under the fence. An electric fence would be easier, but I'm not sure about the reliability.

My only recommendation is not to whiz on it.

New foster doggie. She is super sweet and cute. Some one found her in a ditch with two probable litter mates, her sister got adopted but she was due to be euthanized today.

D3cacux_d.jpg

Our smaller dog (16 lbs and 22 lbs) has loose kneecaps on her hind 2 legs which could be fixed by surgery. Apparently a relatively common affliction for small dogs, it's due to shallow cups under the patella so they can dislocate slightly, the dog shows it by kicking with the leg every couple steps to kick the kneecap back into place. Anyone have any experience with this/the surgery? We might hold off for now since our (human) baby is going to start crawling soon. Also the dog isn't very old, only 3ish, so we'll try getting her weight down a bit first to see if that helps.

A coworker recommended joint pills or whatever that she says helped her dogs a lot. I guess those couldn't hurt.

Guess I should post a picture since I don't think I ever have on here. She's the darker one.

14067647_10103698492128974_303676675834653302_n.jpg

My boy turned 10 yesterday (9 Years with us). Had a recent scare due to a soft tissue sarcoma, but at this point, one month from surgery, you wouldn’t know anything happened. Looking forward to another good year with Riley!
0efc01625ebc91782c549e3a4f143eb8.jpg

Saying goodbye to my 9 yo lab today. Was so sudden. I’m a mess. Wife and i got him when we had only dated 6 months and he’s been the best fucking dog for my two boys.

Saying goodbye to my 9 yo lab today. Was so sudden. I’m a mess. Wife and i got him when we had only dated 6 months and he’s been the best fucking dog for my two boys.

That's awful, hate to hear that.

Hate to hear that. How old are the boys? Is this something they're going to remember?

5 and 2, so probably not, but 5 yo can recall who gave him every book/present he's ever gotten, so who knows.

He was a great dog. Kids could jump all over him and I never had to worry. Was a voracious eater. Who knows how many chicken nuggets, hot dogs, waffles, granola bars, etc. he got off the floor or from the kids eating table. He also loved to eat pacifiers, diapers, paper towels, nerf darts, socks. I bet if I walked through the backyard right now, i'd find a half dozen nerf darts and a half dozen kids socks. We had guests over with their 2 year old Saturday night. It was normal for him to throw up a day after eating a whole bunch of junk. But then he was really lethargic on Monday and not eating. Then woke up this morning and he couldn't move and had urinated around himself sleeping.

When I took him in, I was hoping maybe he had just eaten too many grapes or gotten a sock/toy stuck somewhere. Ended up that he had fluid built up in sac around his heart. Prognosis wasn't good. Just happened so quick, I wasn't at all ready.

Back