• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

My dog Stewart passed away in the spring. Got Fred (above) during a very stressful holiday season, and was worried it would kind of exacerbate my stress/anxiety, but he has been an awesome dog and really lifted my spirits in a rough time.

Not really more to the point. Just wanted to say dogs (and pets) are awesome.

sorry about Fred. We lost our first dog last November.

we got a GSD 8 week old puppy in august. She's cool but is hitting her asshole teenage phase and it's really stretching our patience.

Anyone have experience with dog seizures?

My two year old lab was barking at the delivery man, and when I pulled him away, he started having a seizure. Took him to the emergency vet and they did a full check and blood work, couldn't find anything. They say if it happens again he may need an MRI or a spinal tap. Someone else told me same thing happened to their dog, but it was due to Frontline. It could be just a one off the vet says, but he is acting totally fine now. Curious if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Anyone have experience with dog seizures?

My two year old lab was barking at the delivery man, and when I pulled him away, he started having a seizure. Took him to the emergency vet and they did a full check and blood work, couldn't find anything. They say if it happens again he may need an MRI or a spinal tap. Someone else told me same thing happened to their dog, but it was due to Frontline. It could be just a one off the vet says, but he is acting totally fine now. Curious if anyone else has had a similar experience.

What did he do when he had seizure?

My last dog didn't have what you would consider a traditional seizure, but occasionally would do this thing where he freaked out, and it would seem like he was trying to eat imaginary ants on the ground. constantly smacking lips/licking, and "freaking out" like he had something on him. Vet said it was a form of seizure. It did not seem to get worse after initial discovery, and would just seem to come and go randomly.

What did he do when he had seizure?

Fell on his side, choking, eyes bulging, mouth locked together. This lasted for less than a minute, and when he started walking afterwards he was really wobbly. According to the Vet, the wobbly legs afterwards are pretty apparent signs of a seizure.

Fell on his side, choking, eyes bulging, mouth locked together. This lasted for less than a minute, and when he started walking afterwards he was really wobbly. According to the Vet, the wobbly legs afterwards are pretty apparent signs of a seizure.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully its a one time thing.

fbb6c63ffbbe2d6eb537d1e5af2b1f7c.jpg

Luna just turned three and has slowly been transitioning into normal dog status with puppy energy fading out. Loves to smell and (try to) eat everything and will always love playing with her toys.

Odd that you bring up the dog seizure. On Saturday, our 4 year old French Bulldog Betty Sue, had 2 separate seizures. She was laying on top of me while I was playing xbox and she just started shaking, and got real stiff. All the while she was spitting up phlegm and in full seizure mode for about 45 seconds. After I quit flipping out, I took her outside where she did her business and ran around a bit. Then she went back to sleep like nothing happened. She had another, shorter seizure about 10 hours after that one...no more since.

I did some research...we did put down some carpet deoderizer with baking soda in it. Lots of baking soda....which my research showed to be a possible cause of dog seizures. Needless to say, the baking soda is all off the carpet now and won't be left on any longer.

I hope you pup is ok. Our Betty Sue seems fine.

So we got Lucy's DNA test done:

50% Rat Terrier (must be standard size)

25% American Staffordshire Terrier

12.5% Ridgeback

12.5% Mutt

Bump.

Anyone have issues with 2 of their dogs fighting before? Both girls, one 3 year old Wheaten rescue, one 4 year old Australian Shepherd/Cattle Dog mix. 99.9% of the time they are fine and love each other. However, every now and then they get into absolute drag out brawls that typically end up with at least one of them (and sometimes me) bleeding. It's scary.

Typically, it happens when my fiance or I (mostly me) first get home, and they get overly excited in the downstairs bathroom we keep them gated in during the day. The obvious first step is we're going to separate them when we leave (Palmer, the mix, in her crate), which they'll hate because they really love being together. Any other thoughts/ideas/experiences? Both are really good dogs overall and are great with people, kids, and other dogs.

Last edited:
Sitting out on the deck and my 4yo goes “hey dad, Butter (our orange tabby) has a baby Rabbit who’s sleeping and I go over and meanwhile our 5yo bull terrier mix is going nuts and the cat is prodding the baby rabbit who is playing dead until it springs away and the dog easily gets it and eats it in about 30 seconds and my kid is pretty much unaffected. Now I’m just waiting for the dog to puke it up

Bump.

Anyone have issues with 2 of their dogs fighting before? Both girls, one 3 year old Wheaten rescue, one 4 year old Australian Shepherd/Cattle Dog mix. 99.9% of the time they are fine and love each other. However, every now and then they get into absolute drag out brawls that typically end up with at least one of them (and sometimes me) bleeding. It's scary.

Typically, it happens when my fiance or I (mostly me) first get home, and they get overly excited in the downstairs bathroom we keep them gated in during the day. The obvious first step is we're going to separate them when we leave (Palmer, the mix, in her crate), which they'll hate because they really love being together. Any other thoughts/ideas/experiences? Both are really good dogs overall and are great with people, kids, and other dogs.

i had a similar issue with my two male rescue dogs. they were good together until one would have something that the other wanted...then a battle for hierarchy would come out. they never fought when i was around (alpha) but did a handful of times over 5-7 years. they were both big dogs (approx 100 lbs) and would tear things up. i told my wife to never get in the middle of them...so i bought a small, animal safe, pepper spray in case it ever happened.

there might be a pack leader issue. have you worked to train them some?

Last edited:
We have 3 dogs that my fiancée is absolutely obsessed with. For her wedding present I found an artist who is doing individual graphite drawings of each of the 3 that I’m going to have framed nicely. Really feel like I nailed this gift choice. Will try to figure out how to post some pictures of the finished product.

My husky German Shepherd mix catches chipmunks and plays with them until they just lay there then lets them live. I always check on them after he’s done and they are fine, just soaked in his slobber. Weirdest thing.

I haven't been on here in ages, which means I never officially noted in this thread that we lost our dog Myles last year, on June 16, 2018. He was my wife's best friend before I ever even met her so she took the loss especially hard. I didn't really ever have the heart to create a tribute video for him until a year later, so here it is:

Back