• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

He decided to make our new furniture one of his "spots"

Anybody have any experience of losing 1 of 2 dogs you got together? We got 2 male shih-tzu 14 years ago and one of them died yesterday. I'll spare details but it was pretty traumatic as all pet losses are.

The little guy that is left is somewhat confused but we are hoping depression and loneliness don't set in. Luckily my wife works from home so he won't ever be alone during the day.

We had two beagles together and after the first one passed, the second one was a changed dog for the rest of her life. We lived where we could let them run the street in the morning & after the first one passed, I don’t remember a time where she went running in the morning. They were both old but she was gone within 3 months.

Good vibes to you!

Anybody have any experience of losing 1 of 2 dogs you got together? We got 2 male shih-tzu 14 years ago and one of them died yesterday. I'll spare details but it was pretty traumatic as all pet losses are.

The little guy that is left is somewhat confused but we are hoping depression and loneliness don't set in. Luckily my wife works from home so he won't ever be alone during the day.

Sorry for your loss. I was surprised how gutted I was last January when my wife's old Pomeranian mix died. Our 7 year old Aussie mix has definitely changed since then, as she had only been a solo dog for about 2 months of her life. Definitely lazier and even more attached to us than she used to be. Currently emailing back and forth with a rescue about adopting another one.

Came home last night and our dog is refusing to walk. 7 yo black lab. Seemed fine when we left earlier that afternoon but I'll admit I wasn't watching for anything out of the ordinary, so maybe I missed something. Will take two-three steps then just sit in place. She's eating, but I have to bring the bowl to her. Normally she's one to attack the food bowl. When she does walk, I don't notice a limp in either of her back legs. I got her to go down the stairs (5 steps) last night to use the bathroom but she sat down as soon as she got down, then made it to the grass, sat down, then peed, sat down, then made it back up them to our bedroom. No idea what's going on here. I'm guessing maybe ACL or back injury? I've examined everything and nothing feels out of place, warm, swollen, etc.

Called two vets this morning and none deemed it life threatening, one said they could work me in with a 7:30am drop off tomorrow morning then see her at lunch.

Came home last night and our dog is refusing to walk. 7 yo black lab. Seemed fine when we left earlier that afternoon but I'll admit I wasn't watching for anything out of the ordinary, so maybe I missed something. Will take two-three steps then just sit in place. She's eating, but I have to bring the bowl to her. Normally she's one to attack the food bowl. When she does walk, I don't notice a limp in either of her back legs. I got her to go down the stairs (5 steps) last night to use the bathroom but she sat down as soon as she got down, then made it to the grass, sat down, then peed, sat down, then made it back up them to our bedroom. No idea what's going on here. I'm guessing maybe ACL or back injury? I've examined everything and nothing feels out of place, warm, swollen, etc.

Called two vets this morning and none deemed it life threatening, one said they could work me in with a 7:30am drop off tomorrow morning then see her at lunch.

Good luck with the vet.

Doesn’t sound like ACL since usually they just gut it out and either limp or use three legs and let the other one hang. Hopefully it is a simple fix, good luck.

Damn hope everything is ok. I will second the ACL. When mine tore his he was getting around he just wasn't putting weight on the bad leg.

Nope. The dog adoption people we've worked with 3x have been some of the nicer/better humans I've ever met.

Anyone else notice the rise of the dog adoption Karens? I tried to adopt a dog last but the places around Austin made it such a pain in the ass and were such Karen's I went through a breeder instead. Have had other people with similar or way worse experiences.

https://www.thecut.com/2021/07/why-adopting-a-rescue-dog-is-so-hard-right-now.html

When we adopted in Winston (big ups to AARF!) ~5 years ago they asked us a lot of questions and assessed our readiness along with a house visit. Doesn't sound all that different than the first anecdote in that article except maybe it's somehow competitive for the "better" dogs (fewer issues, better socialized) in bigger cities and there was one over-the-top asshole/volunteer. I'm sure Shelters see all sorts of tragic situations and the last thing they want is dogs coming back to them after 3-6 months and getting put through the wringer again because of a bad fit, so I was completely fine with all the questions around readiness/budget etc.

Yeah, we've been asked a ton of questions as well, including in February, and they acknowledge that some of the questions are a bit ridiculous, but that you'd be surprised some of the crazy situations that have arisen from adoptions gone wrong. Hell, we had to sign a disclosure stating that we would not raise our adopted puppy as livestock to EAT HIM.

Y’all, dog and cat rescue work in the south is so wildly stressful. We did this work (mostly my wife) in Alabama and found it was so much better to ship the dogs north than to try and find local homes.

Anyone else notice the rise of the dog adoption Karens? I tried to adopt a dog last but the places around Austin made it such a pain in the ass and were such Karen's I went through a breeder instead. Have had other people with similar or way worse experiences.

https://www.thecut.com/2021/07/why-adopting-a-rescue-dog-is-so-hard-right-now.html

weird I read this article an hour ago, and then came across this update a year later from the date of your article just now on Bloomberg

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1...rescue-centre-liverpool-warning-owners-update

Dog horror as Liverpool rescue centre 'completely full' after ‘perfect storm’ hits owners
A LIVERPOOL rescue centre is completely full as owners give up their now-unwanted pandemic pets as they return to work.

Y’all, dog and cat rescue work in the south is so wildly stressful. We did this work (mostly my wife) in Alabama and found it was so much better to ship the dogs north than to try and find local homes.

I did community service in a kill shelter in college. I’m still messed up from it. They took the adoptable ones north and basically killed the rest. Went to school with a kid whose dad ran the shelter. Saw that fuck basically abuse the dogs while he was taking them back to be euthanized. I offered to take pics of the dogs to help them get adopted but they informed me I was there for legal reasons thus clean the cage bitch. Walked out did community service elsewhere, but damn.

I did community service in a kill shelter in college. I’m still messed up from it. They took the adoptable ones north and basically killed the rest. Went to school with a kid whose dad ran the shelter. Saw that fuck basically abuse the dogs while he was taking them back to be euthanized. I offered to take pics of the dogs to help them get adopted but they informed me I was there for legal reasons thus clean the cage bitch. Walked out did community service elsewhere, but damn.

Right, that's the way it works. So my wife tried to intervene and get more of those dogs shipped out. It really sucks how many good dogs are killed because they don't meet some sort of "cuteness" "adoptable" standard. I fostered dozens of the meanest looking pitbulls that just wanted the bellies rubbed and to cuddle on the couch.

Back