• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

My brother just let our family know that he has to put down his senior dog that he rescued two years ago (after he had been in the shelter for 5 months). It’s just always so tough and I’m feeling for him a lot right now.

My brother just let our family know that he has to put down his senior dog that he rescued two years ago (after he had been in the shelter for 5 months). It’s just always so tough and I’m feeling for him a lot right now.

So good of your brother to adopt a senior dog.

To add to the bummer news, our 15 yr old bugaboo, Harvey, is starting to have some mobility issues. He's started falling half the time while trying to climb stairs, and he has been pooping on the porch because he can't walk off to go potty. I have the feeling we are going to have to make some difficult choices in the next few months.

To add to the bummer news, our 15 yr old bugaboo, Harvey, is starting to have some mobility issues. He's started falling half the time while trying to climb stairs, and he has been pooping on the porch because he can't walk off to go potty. I have the feeling we are going to have to make some difficult choices in the next few months.

I wish you and your pet all the best! I understand how hard it is

Cinnamon Toast Crunch Head is awesome at home but he has the submission squirts whenever someone talks to him or pets him in public. Anyone have any experience with this? He and then shipoopom are the only dogs that we take out much because the outdoor babies are generally too muddy and stinky from whatever it is that they do all day.

Last edited:
My brothers dog does it when I act really excited and go to pet her. So I make sure to always do that.

I thought i would take a chance and post this here...

does anyone have experience with Hyperuricosuria (Huu) in dogs? my rescue dog had to have emergency surgery to remove bladder stones (6K vet bill :eek:) and we did a DNA test and his diagnosed with rare Huu, i say rare because it is normally found in dalmatians and my rescue has no dalmation (staffordshire terrier and australian shepherd)...so a very slight chance of this diagnosis. essentially he can't eliminate waste bodily protein which results in high levels of uric acid in the urine. causing the formation of solid, hard, urate stones in the kidneys and bladder which can block the drainage of urine causing severe pain and the risk of kidney failure and death.

we already have him on a new diet (in fact we started to make him a home-made diet) because the UD diet ends up costing like $5-10 (wet food) a day. we have to check the pH in his urine once to twice a week, and make sure he is extremely hydrated (2 1/2 cups of water in each of his feedings).

i have done a ton of research, but because this is rather rare i wanted to see if anyone else had experience...

I thought i would take a chance and post this here...

does anyone have experience with Hyperuricosuria (Huu) in dogs? my rescue dog had to have emergency surgery to remove bladder stones (6K vet bill :eek:) and we did a DNA test and his diagnosed with rare Huu, i say rare because it is normally found in dalmatians and my rescue has no dalmation (staffordshire terrier and australian shepherd)...so a very slight chance of this diagnosis. essentially he can't eliminate waste bodily protein which results in high levels of uric acid in the urine. causing the formation of solid, hard, urate stones in the kidneys and bladder which can block the drainage of urine causing severe pain and the risk of kidney failure and death.

we already have him on a new diet (in fact we started to make him a home-made diet) because the UD diet ends up costing like $5-10 (wet food) a day. we have to check the pH in his urine once to twice a week, and make sure he is extremely hydrated (2 1/2 cups of water in each of his feedings).

i have done a ton of research, but because this is rather rare i wanted to see if anyone else had experience...

my son has a Dalmatian and has experienced this. The dog had two surgeries as the first was not 100% successful, but is now on the mend. He has been told that this condition improves as the Dalmatian ages (dog is currently 3), so between the restricted diet and age, they should not expect to have a recurrence.

my son has a Dalmatian and has experienced this. The dog had two surgeries as the first was not 100% successful, but is now on the mend. He has been told that this condition improves as the Dalmatian ages (dog is currently 3), so between the restricted diet and age, they should not expect to have a recurrence.

Thank you for this! Yeah, we are meeting with a Veterinary Nutritionist next month to make sure we are progressing appropriately. I am worried about my dog being on the UD diet for essentially his entire life as my research has found that it is not really considered a "fully nutritional diet" for a growing dog. From what i read it also said they are not supposed to be on this diet for long periods of time...sigh, I continuously think Rosco is a lucky dog that he landed in my house!

My dog that was left when his brother died in February has started having seizures. He has had 3 in the last 6 weeks with the last 2, 2 weeks apart. Its always outside when he has finished pee/poop. He just falls on his side, wails, then goes motionless for 30-60 seconds, and an awful wail comes out. We took him to Vet after the first one but they could find nothing wrong. They said to monitor the situation and if it got worse we could try some anti-seizure drugs. I am not sure why they didn't offer those when we took him in (cost?).

Anyway he is in no pain that we can tell and we have done the necessary prodding and poking. He just sleeps a lot and I have to pick him up to take him out as he can't navigate steps anymore. He just kind of wanders around, eats, and sleeps. I guess what I am getting at is are the seizures painful to him and will they eventually kill him and are we better off to put him down?

My dog that was left when his brother died in February has started having seizures. He has had 3 in the last 6 weeks with the last 2, 2 weeks apart. Its always outside when he has finished pee/poop. He just falls on his side, wails, then goes motionless for 30-60 seconds, and an awful wail comes out. We took him to Vet after the first one but they could find nothing wrong. They said to monitor the situation and if it got worse we could try some anti-seizure drugs. I am not sure why they didn't offer those when we took him in (cost?).

Anyway he is in no pain that we can tell and we have done the necessary prodding and poking. He just sleeps a lot and I have to pick him up to take him out as he can't navigate steps anymore. He just kind of wanders around, eats, and sleeps. I guess what I am getting at is are the seizures painful to him and will they eventually kill him and are we better off to put him down?
My Little guy has seizure disorder, but it started when he was about 3 years old. He's been on meds for about 6 years now and hasn't had a seizure in over a year, when he does have one they are more mild than before. I don't think it is painful as much as it is scary for him. When he does have one, right before it's obvious what is going on he comes over and acts clingy. The big risk, as my vet (wife) explained is if he were to ever have seizure in a precarious spot, like maybe he'd have a seizure and fall in the pool and drown or fall off the back of the couch and break his back, so we've got him on the meds just in case mostly.

00F45AA7-2367-4659-9B56-9293567B779A.jpeg

Not sure where my FIL got this weird bed but the old lady chihuahua absolutely loves curling up in there ❤️

My dog had this. I thought it was seizures, but it was actually syncope.

Sometimes, they do love each other and do not fight over daddy's lap.
ab9010359600d7a4f34c353a0c06851e.jpg

• Love
Reactions: WRS
Harvey, our 15 year old mutt pupper, has been having trouble holding his bladder. I work from 80% of the time, so it's manageable during the days, but overnight and when we're out and about, we are left with a surprise.

Yesterday, we broke down and got him some puppy diapers. Happy to say that last night was a success, and he peed in the diaper. So much easier to wash the diapers than having to clean up puddles on the hardwoods each time.

Harvey, our 15 year old mutt pupper, has been having trouble holding his bladder. I work from 80% of the time, so it's manageable during the days, but overnight and when we're out and about, we are left with a surprise.

Yesterday, we broke down and got him some puppy diapers. Happy to say that last night was a success, and he peed in the diaper. So much easier to wash the diapers than having to clean up puddles on the hardwoods each time.

How’s Harvey doing tsy? Our soon to be 17 year old chihuahua is having similar problems and will just pee on stuff randomly :( She’s doing well though.

Related, I ordered these custom koozies to commemorate our girl’s birthday. I got 100 of them so we can send them to everyone who has ever known her. Planning to have them all take photos with the koozies so we can collect them all.

C8F61FC6-25B2-4401-9234-07E911EB9C57.jpeg

Back