• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

Sadly for us, but happily for him, it appears Intake #36541 has been adopted. They never responded to my email, and he's now been taken off the website. On to the next one. Pet adoption is such a cutthroat event.

One of my best friends' family dog finally had to be put down last night...it was rough seeing him hop around on three legs the past couple of months but going over there won't be the same now.

/DebbieDowner

Anybody know of a big, fenced in field to let the dog run around? Don't want to take her to the dog park because she would (and will) demolish other dogs.

305195_679586940233_7205334_35025863_2094571161_n.jpg

Anybody know of a big, fenced in field to let the dog run around? Don't want to take her to the dog park because she would (and will) demolish other dogs.

Check the dog park at Horizons Park. It's right across the street from the disc golf course. It is much less crowded than the one at Washington Park and it has two separate fenced in areas. One is designated for large dogs and the other for small. I only suggest this because it's rarely crowded. It seems like half the time there are no other dogs there.

We are now proud owners of a second rescue. She got a round of heartworm and a couple other shots when leaving the kennel, so the poor girl has diarrhea. She's so sweet, and the look she gives me just melts my heart.

We are now proud owners of a second rescue. She got a round of heartworm and a couple other shots when leaving the kennel, so the poor girl has diarrhea. She's so sweet, and the look she gives me just melts my heart.

Pics??

Here are the pics of Amber from petfinder. When we got her home, we gave her 2 baths, because she was filthy. Until last night, she'd never slept inside before. She whined a few times, but I think is finally adjusting. They gave her a worm treatment and a bordatella shot so she had some pretty bad diarrhea last night. We took her out hourly from 4-10 and thankfully it resolved. You cant really tell it in the pics, but she's pretty emaciated. The rescue that she was at put every available penny into care for the dogs, but there were just so many. I expect she'll fatten up in the coming months.

Attachments

• amber1.jpg
    amber1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 0
  • amber2.jpg
    amber2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 0
  • amber3.jpg
    amber3.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 0
Ugh, had to take Bella and Woody (Dachshunds) to the vet this morning for their three year distemper shots.

Woody is having an allergic reaction to his vaccination and it's killing me to sit here and watch him suffer. His nose got swollen, he broke out in hives and is scratching himself like mad. He is getting Benadryl every six hours right now, but he is quite uncomfortable.

tsy, what a pretty girl! love her color.

We took them both to the vet today to get their yearly stuff and Harvey is in the initial stages of hip displasia and arthritis. We are going to start him on glucosamine and try to get some weight off. I also have to limit his extreme jumping.

Raleigh, apparently arthritis/hip dysplasia is pretty common in dachshunds, have you had to deal with it before?

Also, does anyone have experience giving their pets glucosamine? Where is the best/cheapest place to get it? I'm thinking of just running by Costco and picking up some. Their Kirkland brand is pretty reputable and generally less expensive.

Raleigh, apparently arthritis/hip dysplasia is pretty common in dachshunds, have you had to deal with it before?

Also, does anyone have experience giving their pets glucosamine? Where is the best/cheapest place to get it? I'm thinking of just running by Costco and picking up some. Their Kirkland brand is pretty reputable and generally less expensive.

We started our collie on Phycox when she was about 8, and the results were great. She was still running at great speed and going for long walks w/o any apparent joint issues when she was 11. You can usually find an entirely pets coupon code if you do a google search.

I really haven't had to deal with either in the Dachshunds. Hip Dysplasia is much more common in bigger dogs like my Weimaraners. Arthitis makes plenty of sense though, since the dwarfism that makes Dachshunds also affects their joints and spinal discs.

That's the real reason Dachshunds often have back and neck problems. It's not so much their length and shape as it is their genetics. Their spinal discs calcify on the outside much quicker than most animals. When the outside of the disc hardens it is much more easily ruptured. Herniated discs in Dachshunds can cause extreme pain, paralysis, etc. Almost every little dog you see running around in a cart is a Dachshund.

My oldest Dachshund, Bella, had a ruptured disc in her neck when she was about 2 and a half. She had to have surgery, but has been fine ever since. (knock on wood). Woody, the younger Dachshund had back problems last spring. He was in pain and then became ataxic (walked around like he was drunk). We had him confined to his crate for about 6 weeks while taking anti-inflammatory meds and pain meds and he has been OK since then. We know though, that it will most likely happen to him again. Just like people with back trouble, there tend to be flare ups.

Biggest thing to watch for with Dachshunds, and Doxie mixes, is if they suddenly go down, can't move their back legs and have little to no pain sensation in their rear legs. That usually signifies a ruptured disc somewhere in the back, where the spinal column is narrower. At that point you usually only have 30 minutes to an hour or so to get them into surgery. If you can respond fast enough though, they have close to a 90 percent chance of recovery.

My pup has bad hips. We started him on Dasuquin soon after adopting him and feel it has made a noticeable difference in him. We order it from Amazon and get the 150 tablet bottle, so we're ordering 3 bottles / year.

Back