• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

We were actually going to make all the pups sleep in their crates last night, but then a massive thunderstorm rolled in so we let them up into the big bed.

My theory is they somehow summoned the thunderstorm as an excuse.

We were actually going to make all the pups sleep in their crates last night, but then a massive thunderstorm rolled in so we let them up into the big bed.

My theory is they somehow summoned the thunderstorm as an excuse.

Our oldest is really anxious about storms, but I tend to give him less attention in response. I put him in his crate, and it typically calms him more than attention. My wife has a hard time with that.

Last night was the first thunderstorm since we got Amber. Of course she barked and hated it. We finally convinced her she was ok if she slept in between us. Hopefully she'll get accustomed. She's rounding out nicely otherwise.

Our oldest is really anxious about storms, but I tend to give him less attention in response. I put him in his crate, and it typically calms him more than attention. My wife has a hard time with that.

The dachshunds and the weimaraners are fine with it, but Myles, the chihuahua and jack russell mix has full blown panic attacks.

He did not get a good start in life. He was a rescue from an animal hoarding situation with about 80 animals in a mobile home in Florida. Not sure what happened to him there, but fireworks, motorcycles and thunderstorms just freak him out.

We have to keep some Xanax on hand for the worst ones, like last night. We always try just the Thundershirt first, which helps, but doesn't always fix the situation.

has anybody else struggled with the thundershirt? i did what they said (put it on my dog in a non-stressful situation. put treats on it, etc), but my dog just really can't stand it. it's still in one piece, but she can get it off of herself without too much trouble. it has never actually stayed on for more than 2 minutes. really the extent of its usefulness has been distracting her for a couple of minutes from whatever is bothering her.

Neither is Felix. Although, he does do his business outside much quicker when it is raining. No pussy-footing around then. On nice nights he will take his damn time tho! I'm like, "hey-o, Felix...I could have played at least 1 match of FIFA since we've been out here. You're killing me, Smalls." And he looks at me all like, "I'm a dog."

The dachshunds and the weimaraners are fine with it, but Myles, the chihuahua and jack russell mix has full blown panic attacks.

He did not get a good start in life. He was a rescue from an animal hoarding situation with about 80 animals in a mobile home in Florida. Not sure what happened to him there, but fireworks, motorcycles and thunderstorms just freak him out.

We have to keep some Xanax on hand for the worst ones, like last night. We always try just the Thundershirt first, which helps, but doesn't always fix the situation.

Try a crate with a blanket over it. Booger is most relaxed when he has a "den" to retreat to.

Try a crate with a blanket over it. Booger is most relaxed when he has a "den" to retreat to.

Yep, all their crates are that way. Like I said though, Myles has full blown panic attacks.

Often, before we even know a storm is coming, he starts getting restless and panting. Sometimes, at that point, the Thundershirt will prevent things from getting too out of hand.

However, if you have a thunderstorm like last night with close lightning and thunder and howling winds, then all bets are off. He starts frantically panting, crying and drooling and tries to wedge himself under or behind something, or he tries to climb to a point where he can sit on your head. Seriously, he tries to get on your head... He also shakes so bad. It's hard to watch because there's really not much you can do.

If it gets that bad, all you can do is drug him so he is sedated until the storm blows over.

Yep, all their crates are that way. Like I said though, Myles has full blown panic attacks.

Often, before we even know a storm is coming, he starts getting restless and panting. Sometimes, at that point, the Thundershirt will prevent things from getting too out of hand.

However, if you have a thunderstorm like last night with close lightning and thunder and howling winds, then all bets are off. He starts frantically panting, crying and drooling and tries to wedge himself under or behind something, or he tries to climb to a point where he can sit on your head. Seriously, he tries to get on your head... He also shakes so bad. It's hard to watch because there's really not much you can do.

If it gets that bad, all you can do is drug him so he is sedated until the storm blows over.

That sounds just like one of our dogs. She does it with no cause. In fact she has had one today. We have also found that melatonin works well. She's 20lbs and the doctor has prescribed 5mg of melatonin.

Yea. The unfortunate reality is that when you freak out about them freaking out, they freak out more. Even if you don't realize you are freaking out.

For those who have experienced it... what's the jump from 1 to 2 dogs like?

Depends on the dogs. It was not as smooth for us as I had hoped, but we brought in a lab mix puppy with our 5 year old dog. They have gotten a lot better, but it took months. It was much more stressful than I expected. We did it in January and were stuck inside with them.

Now our other dog has a much better experience during the day while we are at work. He is much better shape from exercise.

Agree with 07. Do it in the spring/summer if possible so you can spend some quality time outside showing the dog the ropes.

Yea. The unfortunate reality is that when you freak out about them freaking out, they freak out more. Even if you don't realize you are freaking out.

I assure you, it's not us. The poor dog has issues when storms roll in no matter who he is with.

He once was left by himself, when RDToy lived in Florida. A storm rolled in and when she got home, Myles had wedged himself behind the refrigerator trying to hide. (And yes, he had access to a "den" at the time.)

He just has full blown panic attacks if the barometer drops far enough. It is a sight to behold. (and like having a sick kid if a storm comes in the middle of the night.)

I miss both these dogs more as time goes on.

Attachments

• Picture 9.jpg
    Picture 9.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 8.jpg
    Picture 8.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 0
I don't really know about 1-2 anymore. That seems so long ago. When the big dogs are at my brother's place and Myles is down at RDToy's parents' place at the beach, we go from 5 dogs to two dogs. It is a glorious vacation.

Back