• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

Gracie begging for a walk

photo1_zpsfb8afb07.jpg

All right, you win as usual, Grace

photo2_zps1c464e25.jpg

Our neighborhood friend Newman almost always decides to tag along with us.

photo3_zps87c264f6.jpg

photo4_zps1bfb5594.jpg

Last edited:
DF07 hit the nail on the head a few posts back when talking about booger. No matter how bad the day has been or what is making us emotional, our dogs are always there to put their head on our laps to make it better. When we argue, the dogs get between us and give us that look. We have no power to keep arguing once we are given "that look".

If you don't love dogs then you're wrong.
After adopting the dog that just showed up on our front porch last December, I've asked Mrs I/O more than once how we ever lived without a dog before. Seriously I would do just about anything for him.

DF07 hit the nail on the head a few posts back when talking about booger. No matter how bad the day has been or what is making us emotional, our dogs are always there to put their head on our laps to make it better. When we argue, the dogs get between us and give us that look. We have no power to keep arguing once we are given "that look".

yep, jackson is good like this, too. the night jason was stuck at the mall b/c of the shooting and I was just manning the phone/watching the news, he just crawled right up on the couch with me and sat and watched, too (not just looked at the TV - he was watching), head on my lap.
when I was so depressed a couple years ago, he stuck by my side, nosed me out of bed in the mornings, and loved on me as soon as i got home.

<3

After adopting the dog that just showed up on our front porch last December, I've asked Mrs I/O more than once how we ever lived without a dog before. Seriously I would do just about anything for him.

I've asked this question many times.

Yo, Ayo, what kinda dog is dat?
She's a black lab/border collie mix. Her name at the rescue center was Miracle because they intentionally fudged her paperwork (for like 8 weeks) to keep her from being euthanized. :(

She's a black lab/border collie mix. Her name at the rescue center was Miracle because they intentionally fudged her paperwork (for like 8 weeks) to keep her from being euthanized. :(

Awww.. that's cool. That was gonna be my guess on the breed actually.

Super friendly temperament? Does she need a ton of "work" or exercise to keep her busy?

I'm asking because my parents just found a stray puppeh that I'm about 90% sure is also probably black lab/collie mix..

Yeah, she is super, super friendly and very well-mannered around strangers. Big-time cuddler. She does enjoy nibbling on your hands from time to time (not hard bites by any means, super soft). And she does have her energy bursts throughout the day and needs at least one walk a day. The vets think she is a little over a year now, so I guess those things can be attributed to her still being in somewhat of her puppy stage. She doesn't need your attention all day long though and can occupy herself. She spends a lot of time just chilling on the couch, chewing on her bone, or looking out the window.

This is awesome.

This may be apocryphal, but I've heard the ~300 rescue dogs they brought in to search the rubble pile were getting stressed and discouraged that they weren't finding survivors. Apparently they had to get firefighters to lay down and "hide" in the rubble every now and then so a dog could find them.

They did.

I got the opportunity to work with an Arson dog last year at a training seminar, and they really are exceptional animals. They get so excited when they get to go to work, its what they're trained to do and what they live for.

One thing we learned about service dogs from 9/11, they were initially given booties to help protect them from sharp and jagged debris. They found out the dogs were actually going further into the rubble than was safe and it put them and the handlers in more danger than they were accustomed to. They discovered, if you leave the dogs paws uncovered, they'll naturally stay away from dangerous surfaces much more effectively than when they wore the booties.

They did.

I got the opportunity to work with an Arson dog last year at a training seminar, and they really are exceptional animals. They get so excited when they get to go to work, its what they're trained to do and what they live for.

One thing we learned about service dogs from 9/11, they were initially given booties to help protect them from sharp and jagged debris. They found out the dogs were actually going further into the rubble than was safe and it put them and the handlers in more danger than they were accustomed to. They discovered, if you leave the dogs paws uncovered, they'll naturally stay away from dangerous surfaces much more effectively than when they wore the booties.

funny-dog-gifs_1407316097.jpg

Dogs are awesome.

Yeah I am done with cats for a while, maybe forever. I like them and all, but the dog is just 10x the pet IMO.

Lost my both of my Labs to cancer in the last year. 11 and 12 years old. Wasn't sure I wanted to put myself through getting (and losing) another dog right away, but the my wife and kids really wanted another dog so we decided to get a Labradoodle...bringing him home next weekend. Getting very excited.

Yeah I am done with cats for a while, maybe forever. I like them and all, but the dog is just 10x the pet IMO.

I will always have a cat. I love kittehs. I love dogs too and may one day have another one, but there will always be a cat in my house.

Lost my both of my Labs to cancer in the last year. 11 and 12 years old. Wasn't sure I wanted to put myself through getting (and losing) another dog right away, but the my wife and kids really wanted another dog so we decided to get a Labradoodle...bringing him home next weekend. Getting very excited.

Congrats. I thought the same thing when we lost our first dog when I was a kid, but every dog is so unique. They never replace the old one... They all have specific personalities, which made it easier to like the new dog right away.

Back