• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

This girl has stolen my heart

2uixism.jpg

8yuhjb.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats WakeandBake; she looks like a sweetheart.

In other news, I "kidnapped" somebody's cat on accident today; A guy posted a picture of his missing cat on our neighborhood facebook page so my wife and I picked up one that looked identical to it today and stuck it in a dog crate in the garage. The guy with the missing cat called and after seeing some additional pictures of the one we had told us it wasn't his, so we let our "hostage" go free. Oops.

Some ignorant jackass ran an op-ed in the Houston Chronicle this week talking about the decision to euthanize his pitbull because it was violent, or something like that. As a pit owner, stuff like that just pisses me off. If you read the piece, it's obvious the guy didn't understand how to be a competent dog owner--most of the dog's behavior was a result of the owner's actions reinforcing negative behaviors.

This piece is so much better: The State of The American Dog

pitbull-01-1x-lois-lg.jpg

Some ignorant jackass ran an op-ed in the Houston Chronicle this week talking about the decision to euthanize his pitbull because it was violent, or something like that. As a pit owner, stuff like that just pisses me off. If you read the piece, it's obvious the guy didn't understand how to be a competent dog owner--most of the dog's behavior was a result of the owner's actions reinforcing negative behaviors.

This piece is so much better: The State of The American Dog

Oh man...

Now, any dog that comes as a rescue comes with its own apocrypha. Nobody knows his past, so a past is ascribed to him. But when we met Carson, his past as a "bait dog"—a nonfighting dog whom fighting dogs gnaw on as a prelude to combat—was inscribed on his body. He had broken teeth. He had filigrees of scarring around his eyes. He had broad hairless patches of scarring around his neck that revealed his pale porcine skin. He had a ten-inch burn down his back that people often mistook for raised hackles. And yet he managed to strike a comic figure instead of a tragic one—that was his glimmer. He had one ear up and one ear down, protuberant green eyes, a panting grin that wrinkled his cheeks, and an air of insistence and optimism that was never anything less than ridiculous given his circumstances. He climbed onto my wife's lap on a day that happened to be my wife's birthday, and we thought he was giving himself to her as a special gift; we didn't know until later that climbing onto the laps of perfect strangers was his move: his survival mechanism and perhaps his con. Whatever it was, it worked. We took him home that day and promptly freaked out.

My pup played with the prettiest pit bull in the park yesterday. The owner said he had been at the shelter a year and a half before being adopted. I couldn't believe it took so long for such a pretty dog. :( (But he did find a good home, so it's a happy story!)

update!
Jackson's been doing well- he's definitely had some slower days in there, too, but this morning he was hopping by the door to go out (because food comes after walk and that's exciting!) like it was no big deal. Thankfully nothing like that first day that prompted the vet visit...

Today we said goodbye to our 9-year-old pooch, Murphy. One day you're fine, the next day cancer is kicking your ass. I like to think we gave him a good life -- daily walks (even after the arrival of the human kids), frequent swimming trips to the lake, mountains hikes, treats, car rides, belly rubs. Still hard to say goodbye to a pup you've raised since he was 8 weeks old and who became a member of the family over nearly a decade. Y'all hug your pups extra tight tonight.

Today we said goodbye to our 9-year-old pooch, Murphy. One day you're fine, the next day cancer is kicking your ass. I like to think we gave him a good life -- daily walks (even after the arrival of the human kids), frequent swimming trips to the lake, mountains hikes, treats, car rides, belly rubs. Still hard to say goodbye to a pup you've raised since he was 8 weeks old and who became a member of the family over nearly a decade. Y'all hug your pups extra tight tonight.

Sorry for your loss, Say Hey. Losing pets really sucks.

Sorry say hey.

A good buddy of mine in the FD also had to let go of his St. Bernard today. It kills me to see a grown man cry, especially a fellow firefighter.

so sorry for your loss, say hey. mr. jack just got a tortilla chip in murphy's honor, and some extra skritches behind the ear.

Thanks, guys. My wife and I've both been fortunate in our lives that we've avoided real personal tragedy to this point. I've lost all my grandparents, but at advanced ages when they were already in declining health, so the end sort of felt like a relief in some ways. So, honestly, it feels weird to say, but as Murphy was the first dog I've ever owned, this is probably the saddest I've ever been in my life. It's a true death in the family.

I always knew he would pass away eventually, I just never thought it would be now. It all happened so abruptly -- he stopped eating on Wednesday, and on Friday we find out he is ridden with cancer. I always envisioned that he'd grow old and slow down and one day it would be time, and we'd all know it. Never that we'd have to do this, when up until the last 3 days, he'd been completely healthy. Same puppy stuck in a 9-year-old, 90 pounds body. I guess the way to think of it is that the cancer has been there lurking for a while, and we're lucky that we got as much time as we did before it decided to shut down his body.

Sad night. I already miss the dumb oaf. We've got our hands full these days with 2 kids and a younger dog, but it's a real loss and I reflect on his life with tears in my eyes and a heavy heart.

And don't forget the puppies: The NRF estimates that Americans will spend $350 million just on pet Halloween costumes.

And we wonder why ISIS wants to kill us.

Back