• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

People who adopt senior/health-challenged dogs are saints. I don't think I could handle it.

People who adopt senior/health-challenged dogs are saints. I don't think I could handle it.

Yeah I mean they knew what was going to be involved obviously but I couldn’t do it either. They have another, Poochie, that they adopted from the same place earlier this year and she is 16 (!) and cruising right along.

Waiting at the house right now for the call from the vet who is coming here to put our dog down. Man, this sucks. The dog doesn't even really like me and I'm still a big puddle of emo... She's been part of the family for almost 14 years, you know?

Waiting at the house right now for the call from the vet who is coming here to put our dog down. Man, this sucks. The dog doesn't even really like me and I'm still a big puddle of emo... She's been part of the family for almost 14 years, you know?

So sorry to hear that. Thinking of your family.

Ugh, sorry to hear that scooter. So so tough. Thinking about your and your fam.

That’s terrible. This more or less happened with me in February. My dog of 15 years was put down in my bed. I am so sorry for your loss.

After losing my pup of 15.5 years in February, I adopted a new puppy in April. His name is Calvin and he is so awesome. He really is the dog I always wanted.
a9ca7aedcf876747f251256c169ab922.jpg

Congrats birdman! Rescuing a dog is one of the most rewarding feelings in the world. Our two rescues are monsters (in the best way) but they live the absolute best lives and I couldn’t imagine them in a shelter or back on the street.

We thought that the shitzu and the hamster had developed a friendship. We were incorrect.

Congrats birdman! Rescuing a dog is one of the most rewarding feelings in the world. Our two rescues are monsters (in the best way) but they live the absolute best lives and I couldn’t imagine them in a shelter or back on the street.

Yeah definitely. My wife started a dog rescue in Alabama in our county where up to 2000 dogs and cats per year were being euthanized by animal control because there are way to many strays and there was no funding. They saved and shipped >500 dogs to NY and PA in about 18 months and we fostered about 70 of them for a week or two each. Really amazing operation she set up. Calvin was one of the last dogs she pulled before we moved to Florida.

Yeah definitely. My wife started a dog rescue in Alabama in our county where up to 2000 dogs and cats per year were being euthanized by animal control because there are way to many strays and there was no funding. They saved and shipped >500 dogs to NY and PA in about 18 months and we fostered about 70 of them for a week or two each. Really amazing operation she set up. Calvin was one of the last dogs she pulled before we moved to Florida.

That is amazing. One of ours came through a similar operation taking dogs from Arkansas and relocating them to the Boston area.

That is amazing. One of ours came through a similar operation taking dogs from Arkansas and relocating them to the Boston area.

I currently run a rescue in NC, and this is a really common practice. Basically red states have a strong “animals are property” political mindset and don’t do anything of substance to regulate spaying and neutering your pets. Result is an overwhelming stray population in areas woefully under resourced resulting in super high euthanasia rates. The inverse is true where in the northeast especially with their “burdensome regulations”, they have almost no strays available to adopt. So you have like an Underground Railroad of cats and dogs being shipped up north.

We have ended up with a lot of dogs that showed up on our porch and wouldn't leave that became family pets in my lifetime. I currently have 3 dogs, and we only actually sought out one of them. The other two were gifted to us by the rural Appalachian god of stray mutts.

I currently run a rescue in NC, and this is a really common practice. Basically red states have a strong “animals are property” political mindset and don’t do anything of substance to regulate spaying and neutering your pets. Result is an overwhelming stray population in areas woefully under resourced resulting in super high euthanasia rates. The inverse is true where in the northeast especially with their “burdensome regulations”, they have almost no strays available to adopt. So you have like an Underground Railroad of cats and dogs being shipped up north.

We would pull the dogs find short term fosterers then drive them over the Georgia or Montgomery to meet the transport van. There were two different "companies" that did the transport, Grateful Doggies, and the other I can't remember. The guy had this van that was jury rigged to blow AC or Heat into the back where he dad stacks of dog crates up to ceiling. He could probably fit 25-30 dogs in individual crates in there. He'd depart in the evening and drive all night to PA or NY and deliver directly to the adoption agencies; he'd make the trip twice a week. I always felt good about driving the poor dogs to their freedom. The dedication and effort that the people who organize this stuff are amazing. It is stressful exhausting work that never ends. We started by going to County Commission meetings to try and get them to change the system and invest a little money and effort into saving these animals, but they stone walled us, so my wife just started pulling the dogs herself and trying to find rescues. The more we learned about it I was pretty amazed by the extent of the problem and the amount of effort that quietly goes into saving and shipping these animals north.

We would pull the dogs find short term fosterers then drive them over the Georgia or Montgomery to meet the transport van. There were two different "companies" that did the transport, Grateful Doggies, and the other I can't remember. The guy had this van that was jury rigged to blow AC or Heat into the back where he dad stacks of dog crates up to ceiling. He could probably fit 25-30 dogs in individual crates in there. He'd depart in the evening and drive all night to PA or NY and deliver directly to the adoption agencies; he'd make the trip twice a week. I always felt good about driving the poor dogs to their freedom. The dedication and effort that the people who organize this stuff are amazing. It is stressful exhausting work that never ends. We started by going to County Commission meetings to try and get them to change the system and invest a little money and effort into saving these animals, but they stone walled us, so my wife just started pulling the dogs herself and trying to find rescues. The more we learned about it I was pretty amazed by the extent of the problem and the amount of effort that quietly goes into saving and shipping these animals north.

If southern states would just charge more for animal licenses if dogs/cats were unaltered, then thousands upon thousands of animals would avoid euthanasia, but I guess that’s treading on someone’s freedom too much.

If southern states would just charge more for animal licenses if dogs/cats were unaltered, then thousands upon thousands of animals would avoid euthanasia, but I guess that’s treading on someone’s freedom too much.

Yeah that was one of our suggestions, a $10 dog license for all dogs and to make the cost of the license for un-fixed animals slightly more than the cost of fixing the dog, so $150. Some fucking puppy mill breeder took the council members out to lunch and convinced them not to do anything like that. There is also a terrible state law that inhibits low cost spay and neuter clinics, just exacerbating the problem.

I have rescued 6 dogs and 3 are still with me. I have also fostered 7 dogs and all found good homes. You do what you can and try to educate those people who still feel the need to buy designer dogs from puppy mills.
Many thanks to all of you who really do your part to save innocent animals.

We have a couple of rescues. We've had a little Bull Terrier mix for 6 years, then we were fostering rescues from Alabama (i think) during the pandemic, got the first three adopted out, but fell in love with the fourth and kept her:

Z2jIlUa.jpg

KjTxaON.jpg

YYds2jp.jpg

Last edited:
We started looking for a 2nd dog in the spring and there was nothing available (Winston) because everyone was adopting during lockdown. Our dog (11.5yo) passed away early last month, so it was kind of a blessing that he got full attention with us home 24/7 over the summer. But we're now looking for a puppy/young, and it's good to know about these southern state rescues, hadn't been aware. We have two dogs visiting us over the holidays, so we may end up waiting til late winter, early spring.

Do dogs get dog dementia? Because my old fat outdoor dog just stands at the door and barks at nothing for hours at a time, and then does the same thing when we let him into the basement at night to sleep. Needless to say, he is not very popular at our house right now.

Back