• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

What’s the proper etiquette when you pass another dog and their owner compliments your dog?

Do you have to return the compliment? Even if their dog isn’t nearly as cute?

What’s the proper etiquette when you pass another dog and their owner compliments your dog?

Do you have to return the compliment? Even if their dog isn’t nearly as cute?

I just say thank you. Same with babies, I don't tell people their babies are cute when they're not, but maybe that's just me.

Curious to know whether anyone has seen this behavior: Our Westie not only attacks the tv every time a dog appears, but he has 5 or 6 commercials "memorized". He recognizes several ads that have dogs in them by the music or the words being spoken before the dog appears. The most recent is a Nissan ad with a Dachshund that catches a Frisbee in slow motion. He can be lying on the floor asleep, but as soon as that commercial starts, he jumps up and charges the tv several seconds before the dog shows up. Didn't believe it for a while, but he's done it dozens of times.

Curious to know whether anyone has seen this behavior: Our Westie not only attacks the tv every time a dog appears, but he has 5 or 6 commercials "memorized". He recognizes several ads that have dogs in them by the music or the words being spoken before the dog appears. The most recent is a Nissan ad with a Dachshund that catches a Frisbee in slow motion. He can be lying on the floor asleep, but as soon as that commercial starts, he jumps up and charges the tv several seconds before the dog shows up. Didn't believe it for a while, but he's done it dozens of times.
Yes. With our Westie.

This thread is tough to read. So many wonderful dogs passing away. My shitzu Charlie is about 8 years old I think (we found him in parking lot 6 years ago), and he is still spry and playful, but he cant jump up on our bed anymore, so he stands on my wifes side of the bed and whines to be picked up. I'm wondering if some joint supplements might help him.

We started out 15 year old super grumpy American Eskimo on Dasaquin (https://www.1800petmeds.com/Dasuquin-prod10913.html) a couple months ago. He'll never jump up on the bed again, but he is much happier since we started the supplement.

Use Synovi G4 over the past 2 years for my most likely 14 and 13 year old dogs. They are still getting around pretty good. My housekeeper told me this morning she had just ordered some for her 8 year old dog, who now can climb up stairs easily....used to struggle with that. Highly recommend, mdmh.

Looks like Bella lived the dream.

This is a great way to look at it. My ~16 old poodle, Barlow, died 2 years ago (it was awful, he fell into our back yard goldfish pond and couldn't get out, I found him, did mouth to mouth but he died three days later) and it was super hard at first. But every time I see a picture of him or dig up an old video clip I dwell on the fact that we had a lot of fun during our 12 years together.

My mutts at the beach the other day.

23131551_10155227301948666_8913863717041910821_n.jpg

22886028_10155227306223666_1434291606758490159_n.jpg

Looks like Bella lived the dream.

No kidding. Bella was a lottery winner to get RaleighDeacon as a Dad. Love the part around 2:00 when she is going underneath the pad.

Well done video and song choice. Remember you did I Will Follow You Into the Dark when another pet passed.

No kidding. Bella was a lottery winner to get RaleighDeacon as a Dad. Love the part around 2:00 when she is going underneath the pad.

Well done video and song choice. Remember you did I Will Follow You Into the Dark when another pet passed.

Yep, used the Death Cab song when our Weimeraner Reiner passed on. Never gets easier. Hate that Reiner didn't get to move to Charlotte with us. HE would have loved the Queen City, especially the Dog Bar and its ilk. One of the shots in Bella's video, where she's in the purple dog bed barking at someone offscreen, was from the Dog Bar. So is the one where she's splitting a beer with our longhair Dachshund Chester.

This thread is tough to read. So many wonderful dogs passing away. My shitzu Charlie is about 8 years old I think (we found him in parking lot 6 years ago), and he is still spry and playful, but he cant jump up on our bed anymore, so he stands on my wifes side of the bed and whines to be picked up. I'm wondering if some joint supplements might help him.

I’d definitely recommend them. Our vet even said our two year old should take small doses. We started giving them to our 14 year old that passed away this year when she was 11 and I’m convinced it helped her get around more easily in her last years. She could still jump on the couch until her last few months.

We started out 15 year old super grumpy American Eskimo on Dasaquin (https://www.1800petmeds.com/Dasuquin-prod10913.html) a couple months ago. He'll never jump up on the bed again, but he is much happier since we started the supplement.

Use Synovi G4 over the past 2 years for my most likely 14 and 13 year old dogs. They are still getting around pretty good. My housekeeper told me this morning she had just ordered some for her 8 year old dog, who now can climb up stairs easily....used to struggle with that. Highly recommend, mdmh.

Good timing on all these posts.

Over the weekend we were out of town and my parents were watching our ~9 year old Corgi/Basset mix, Lucy. The second morning they said she came upstairs but then wouldn't go back down. And was having trouble getting on the couch. We hadn't noticed any of that before we left, but since we got back Sunday she's definitely exhibiting what seems to be joint issues. Going downstairs actually doesn't seem to be that bad, but she is slow and low going up stairs and is hesitant to jump on the couch (although she can do it if she gears herself up).

We have a vet appointment on Thursday afternoon (presuming it doesn't seem to get worse between now and then). It doesn't seem to be acute pain, but did seem to come on kind of quickly.

Wondering / hoping if joint supplements might help her out.

Gross question - how do you get a dog to stop eating poop? It's easy when they're on a leash, but when they're out in a fenced in yard, it's impossible, unless you're monitoring them 100% of the time. I've heard/read that there are powders you can put on their (and your other pets') food to make it taste horrible. Any specific recs?

Gross question - how do you get a dog to stop eating poop? It's easy when they're on a leash, but when they're out in a fenced in yard, it's impossible, unless you're monitoring them 100% of the time. I've heard/read that there are powders you can put on their (and your other pets') food to make it taste horrible. Any specific recs?

How old? My lab just grew out of it, but it took until age 1.5 for it to happen. I was pretty physical when I noticed it (since I had to clean it out of her teeth with my fingers/toothbrush) and would stick her nose down near it then do a pop on the nose with the palm of my hand. After 4-5 times the point got across or she just realized it tasted bad. Hasn't happened in around a year.

Disclaimer: I don't beat my dog, just didn't know how to word that without explaining exactly what I did to break the habit. My dog loves me and she is a very good girl. I did raise her with pops on the nose or spankings to the hip/butt area, sorry if that is against anyone's beliefs.

Putting a little pineapple in the food is supposed to make the poop taste gross(er?). It worked for the most part for my dog, and she grew out of it after about a year.

Putting a little pineapple in the food is supposed to make the poop taste gross(er?). It worked for the most part for my dog, and she grew out of it after about a year.

I thought I heard that made things taste sweeter? :couch:

How old? My lab just grew out of it, but it took until age 1.5 for it to happen. I was pretty physical when I noticed it (since I had to clean it out of her teeth with my fingers/toothbrush) and would stick her nose down near it then do a pop on the nose with the palm of my hand. After 4-5 times the point got across or she just realized it tasted bad. Hasn't happened in around a year.

Disclaimer: I don't beat my dog, just didn't know how to word that without explaining exactly what I did to break the habit. My dog loves me and she is a very good girl. I did raise her with pops on the nose or spankings to the hip/butt area, sorry if that is against anyone's beliefs.

She's 3, and has been doing it off and on her whole life. Have switched foods a couple times, to a nice/expensive one, and really don't think she's lacking in nutrients or anything. She seems to only eat other dogs' poop, not her own - and my girlfriend has 2 dogs. Your strategy sounds fine, but it's not really practical to be watching her every time I let her outside to go to the bathroom or play.

She's 3, and has been doing it off and on her whole life. Have switched foods a couple times, to a nice/expensive one, and really don't think she's lacking in nutrients or anything. She seems to only eat other dogs' poop, not her own - and my girlfriend has 2 dogs. Your strategy sounds fine, but it's not really practical to be watching her every time I let her outside to go to the bathroom or play.

Agreed, it's not. I kinda just made it a point one or twice a week to look for it and see if I could catch her in the act

Back