• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

As I posted several months ago, my small business policy for myself and 7 employees went down 2700.00 per quarter. Everyones insurance has not gone up. Oh yea and the coverage did not change.

I find it funny that it seems to be the same 7-10 people flaming away and telling us the sky is falling and we are all headed to our doom over and over again.

CH is employed at a senior level in the HC industry. Wrangor believes anything and everything that happens is Obama's fault even long after it's proven not to be. DeacMan is just DeacMan.

First of all, CH is an insurance guy. That's not part of "the HC industry". bcobb is part of the HC industry - I was, too.

Secondly, any knowledgable observer can tell that CH's posts on this thread are much closer to the reality of the ACA than yours, rj.

I find it funny that it seems to be the same 7-10 people flaming away and telling us the sky is falling and we are all headed to our doom over and over again.

So I'm clear, does this mean you think the viewpoint of the '7-10 people flaming away' is in the minority? ACA, relative to what was envisioned, has been a clown show.

CH is a pragmatic source of well stated and explained realities. I wouldn't call him an "insurance guy," and if health insurance isn't part of the healthcare industry what is?

So I'm clear, does this mean you think the viewpoint of the '7-10 people flaming away' is in the minority? ACA, relative to what was envisioned, has been a clown show.

If Obama personally cured cancer, diabetes and heart disease, you'd bitch that people were still getting the flu. Thus Obama is a bum.

So are Iraq and Afghanistan. If big decisions were easy, they wouldn't be worth doing.

You mean like the clown show of the RX rollout?

You mean liker the lies that started the Iraq War and cost of 4000 US lives, 100,000 Iraqi lives, 30,000 serious injuries to US GIs and overt $1T in wasted dollars?

CH is one of the best posters on this thread. I think he has been fair in pointing out the benefits of the ACA as well as the drawbacks.

It is worth saying again, if big decisions were easy they wouldn't be worth doing.

That said, we should have a single payer system.

Quite frankly 7-10 people spewing off the same things over and over again to each other does not a majority make either.

Is it increasing more than it would have?

As a general rule of thumb, for most small groups, yes. It all depends on the risk profile for the group.

Lets look at NC. You can rate +/- 25% based on risk. So in NC risk factors can go from 0.75 to 1.25 off the base rate based on a groups risk profile. The problem is there are a lot more groups closer to 0.75 than 1.25. The ACA bumps up the factor to something like ~1.10 for all groups (cant rate on health anymore). Most groups are getting a bigger increase as a direct result of the ACA.

On top of this risk adjustment, there are a bunch of new taxes and mandated benefit that increases costs more than we'd see from trend alone. The triple whammy. ACA + Taxes/Benefits + trend.

Of course, there are groups that will get a rate decrease. Just a small % of the total.

You mean like the clown show of the RX rollout?

You mean liker the lies that started the Iraq War and cost of 4000 US lives, 100,000 Iraqi lives, 30,000 serious injuries to US GIs and overt $1T in wasted dollars?

Sticking to HC for a sec and not mixing in the Iraqi war, the Part D roll out was done a lot better than the ACA. Actually, there's no debate on this. It wasnt perfect but its no where close to the issues we see here. How many times did Bush have to delay a provision? Or undo a provision?

I implemented both (lucky me!) and Id rather implement Part D every year than do this again. Granted, the ACA has more complexity but c'mon we dont even joke about this...

CH is one of the best posters on this thread. I think he has been fair in pointing out the benefits of the ACA as well as the drawbacks.

It is worth saying again, if big decisions were easy they wouldn't be worth doing.

That said, we should have a single payer system.

Serious question that no one really seems to address. How would we ever switch to this in our "have it your way society"? Hell, most americans insurance isn't directly impacted by the ACA and they still hate it. Imagine if it did impact them!

Why is Medicare (a form of single payer after all) still so much more expensive than what other countries pay for their Sr. populations? I dont have the stat handy but Matt Miller (politico and current candidate to fill Waxman's seat) consistently quotes something like we spend x% more on Sr. care than any other county even thought its single payer AND subsidized by private pay.

I just don't buy the argument that single payer would work in our society.

Last edited:
[/B]

Serious question that no one really seems to address. How would we ever switch to this in our "have it your way society"? Hell, most americans insurance isn't directly impacted by the ACA and they still hate it. Imagine if it did impact them!

Why is Medicare (a form of single payer after all) still so much more expensive than what other countries pay for their Sr. populations? I dont have the stat handy but Matt Miller (politico and current candidate to fill Waxman's seat) consistently quotes something like we spend x% more on Sr. care than any other county even thought its single payer AND subsidized by private pay.

I just don't buy the argument that single payer would work in our society.

CH, don't we spend an enormous percentage of our lifetime medical bills in the last 60 days of our life?

Back