• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

I am using an agent to set everyone up and he is about to throw his phone through a wall dealing with the health care representatives. It would be funny if I wasn't the one sitting here for two hours.

Just ask your computer why it's lying, and that it should be ashamed of itself.

Alright I just completed my application to Obamacare. It took me an hour and 20 minutes on the phone. The agent that I was working with said they don't even attempt to use the computer because it never works. So every person they sign-up is through the phone.

My plan is pretty crappy with a high deductible but it does save a lot of money. I am not sure if I will make the switch yet or not. If I do I will certainly have to max out my HSA account and hope that we don't hit any huge illnesses in the first couple of years while I build up some extra cash.

It is kind of crazy that the lowest deductible plan they would offer me is $2500.

Alright I just completed my application to Obamacare. It took me an hour and 20 minutes on the phone. The agent that I was working with said they don't even attempt to use the computer because it never works. So every person they sign-up is through the phone.

My plan is pretty crappy with a high deductible but it does save a lot of money. I am not sure if I will make the switch yet or not. If I do I will certainly have to max out my HSA account and hope that we don't hit any huge illnesses in the first couple of years while I build up some extra cash.

It is kind of crazy that the lowest deductible plan they would offer me is $2500.

Now get on with dodo poll identity thread!

Do HSA carry over? For example if I contribute 6000 this year and only use 2000 can I contribute 6000 the next year and have 10k in it?

Do HSA carry over? For example if I contribute 6000 this year and only use 2000 can I contribute 6000 the next year and have 10k in it?

Yes. And the interest grow tax free if used for a qualified medical expense. You can also "fund as you go" meaning open the account and wait until you incur a claim. Pay the claim and then put $ into the HSA and pay yourself back. That contribution will be tax deductible even if you don't itemize. Many HSAs have $1 balances and are used to pay for care tax free as you go.

As a general rule, HSAs are the way to go if you bank the premium difference. After a while, you have a 100% plan...Im a big fan. Plus you will get preventive care at no charge.

HSAs dont always make sense is you have a chronic condition that requires a lot of office visits or drugs. But if you get hit by a bus or have a major illness, there isnt much difference between the 2 as you will most likely hit your OOP max in either case.

PM if you want to go into specifics.

Yes. And the interest grow tax free if used for a qualified medical expense. You can also "fund as you go" meaning open the account and wait until you incur a claim. Pay the claim and then put $ into the HSA and pay yourself back. That contribution will be tax deductible even if you don't itemize. Many HSAs have $1 balances and are used to pay for care tax free as you go.

As a general rule, HSAs are the way to go if you bank the premium difference. After a while, you have a 100% plan...Im a big fan. Plus you will get preventive care at no charge.

HSAs dont always make sense is you have a chronic condition that requires a lot of office visits or drugs. But if you get hit by a bus or have a major illness, there isnt much difference between the 2 as you will most likely hit your OOP max in either case.

PM if you want to go into specifics.

Go on...

Are you saying that cost compare high deductible plans and a standard plan, buy the cheaper one, self-escrow the delta and then let the future accrued interest fund the deductible amount? Never heard that explained before but that makes some sense (although I've never seen a HSA that paid anything other than a money market rate, taxes or no taxes). With a low rate of return it may be an awfully long time before that tree starts throwing off enough fruit to cover $6,000 a year. It seems I might be better of making the contribution, pulling the contribution immediately out and then reinvesting in taxable, higher return investment account. Our monthly premium for a high deductible, no frills plan for a family of five is $895.00 per month (up $200+ per month from pre-ACA....thanks, Obama).

Low deductable lots of frills plan for family of four costs me $395/mo, up from $320 pre-ACA.

i am hardly over here, but it doesnt look like a parody to me

and don't you dare "meh" me mother fucka!!!!

I'm quoting this just so everyone can remember what post it was that finally got you banned.

Also, a quick IP check turned up that this is the alias of a long time poster. That poster will be contacted and given a chance to explain.

I was just hoping it would be someone more interesting than caturday or whatever.

Back