• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

Low deductable lots of frills plan for family of four costs me $395/mo, up from $320 pre-ACA.

How is that possible? Mine is almost triple that for a family of four, and has a deductible of 2500 per person.

How is that possible? Mine is almost triple that for a family of four, and has a deductible of 2500 per person.

I pay 450 for my family. 250/500 deductible and 750/1500 out of pocket (individual\family). Basically everything is covered under the plan including incredible prescription coverage. I work at a medical school associated with a large university and a midsize hospital system. Probably 40k+ employees in the insurance pool, with an enrichment of healthy younger professionals. It is all about the risk factors in your negotiating pool it seems.

I pay 450 for my family. 250/500 deductible and 750/1500 out of pocket (individual\family). Basically everything is covered under the plan including incredible prescription coverage. I work at a medical school associated with a large university and a midsize hospital system. Probably 40k+ employees in the insurance pool, with an enrichment of healthy younger professionals. It is all about the risk factors in your negotiating pool it seems.

Man...must be nice.

Go on...

Are you saying that cost compare high deductible plans and a standard plan, buy the cheaper one, self-escrow the delta and then let the future accrued interest fund the deductible amount? Never heard that explained before but that makes some sense (although I've never seen a HSA that paid anything other than a money market rate, taxes or no taxes). With a low rate of return it may be an awfully long time before that tree starts throwing off enough fruit to cover $6,000 a year. It seems I might be better of making the contribution, pulling the contribution immediately out and then reinvesting in taxable, higher return investment account. Our monthly premium for a high deductible, no frills plan for a family of five is $895.00 per month (up $200+ per month from pre-ACA....thanks, Obama).

The premium breaks for HSAs can be ~20% or so. And that can add up to real HSA $ if you are disciplined to put it in the HSA. I also suggest paying OOP and just run it through HSAs in/get the tax break of you dont have the $ in the account itself. Save the $ but as you get expenses, pay oop but then put that $ into the HSA and pay yourself back. You can put up to $6,450 per family so even if your premium savings only gets you $3600 in contributions, pay as you go to get the additional tax break even tough the HSA wont grow.

Some HSAs do have investment vehicles (mine allows investing in equities). I certainly take this as a long run view but I have t

Lots of chatter that the keep your plan ruling will get extended 2 more years in the next day. Both good and bad to this.

Lots of chatter that the keep your plan ruling will get extended 2 more years in the next day. Both good and bad to this.

It just makes the economics that much worse for the ACA correct?

It makes the ACA rates go up more. Insurers will price for it this time.

Officially announced today. Extension through 2016. NCDOI must agree to it (they will).

Kay hagan is very happy right now.

ACA Rates will go up as a direct result. This plus the issues with selection might result in some large increases this fall.

It must be nice to change the law whenever you feel like it. Sort of like those guys n the banana republics.

So the rates they just quoted me are going to go up? Man I hate this freaking law.

Jan 1st it will. And more than it would have.

That really sucks. I'm certainly saving some money with ACA. But that is because I am getting a far worse plan. If my rates come even close to my former plan I am getting screwed.

Slowly but surely Obama is destroying this law with his actions, all while staunchly defending it with his words. And the sheeple who love him keep towing the line.

He's doing your work for you then. You should be grateful.

Back