• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

I didnt. Out in Utah skiing for spring break.

The life of a shill...

Skiing for spring break? I'm not sure, but I think you are doing it wrong. When you're done spending rj's premiums, see if you can find it online.

Got ~35 apps today and could enroll no one. Hopefully this website will be functional tomorrow.

Looks like ACA hit 7 million.

Looks like ACA hit 7 million.

The 7M apps is a good # given where they started from.

But, only ~80% of these pay month one so they aren't actually enrolled. We are closely tracking the drop rate afterwards...Early results aren't good. Nor is the risk profile.

But, only ~80% of these pay month one so they aren't actually enrolled. We are closely tracking the drop rate afterwards...Early results aren't good. Nor is the risk profile.

Those irascible facts...PHooey

The unpublished RAND study – only the Los Angeles Times has seen it – found that just 23 per cent of new enrollees had no insurance before signing up.

And of those newly insured Americans, just 53 per cent have paid their first month's premiums.

If those numbers hold, the actual net gain of paid policies among Americans who lacked medical insurance in the pre-Obamacare days would be just 858,298.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-tough-questions-remain-whos-signing-up.html

Sweet, let's repeal this mofo for the 51st time, and get back to the good old days!

Well I think I have a pretty good idea why the numbers for ACA signup jumped so rapidly in the last two months. In early March I spent some time getting quotes on health insurance for me and my workers. I received quotes (... DID NOT sign up) from Humana through the exchange. Well come April I receive my brand new health insurance cards and a bill for my premiums. They signed me up and sent me a bill. I guess they thought since they sent me insurance cards I would assume I had decided to go with them. Who knows. If you don't send in a payment then you are removed from the list (I guess), but I wanted to make sure I was acting in good faith so I called Humana today to let them know I did not sign up, and would not be using them.

Since Humana used the exchange to sign me up, and I also had to be removed from the exchange. So I was transferred to the ACA call center. I was transferred at least 4 times, and on the last transfer was on hold for over 45 minutes when I finally hung up. I spent 2 hours on the phone, and never spoke to a person who could remove me from the rolls. It was a joke. My guess is that this is going to be a common occurrence. People who went to the exchange to be quoted, have now been signed up and counted as part of the 7.1 million to receive health insurance under ACA. It is a racket. I will be surprised if the number or actual paying customers is more than 4-5 million.

I am still pissed off about wasting so much time on the phone today, but I am thrilled I didn't make the terrible decision to join the exchange. As difficult as it is for me to imagine, I think the ACA rollout is going to get worse than it already is. My employees signed up because of how cheap it would be for them due to the rebates, but I can't imagine any paying customer (someone that would actually make this thing financially feasible) going with marketplace if they have any other option.

Yeah, I'd be pissed off too. Is this a tactic the US Gov. is taking, or is it Humana in your opinion? Is Humana the only insurance company on your exchange?

Sebelius is stepping down. Will the GOP allow her to be replaced?

Cantor, Priebus, Cruz, etc. have already started...Obama could nominate Florence Nightingale to this position, it doesn't matter.

Hopefully, you're right. Otherwise the post would be empty until 2016.

Well I think I have a pretty good idea why the numbers for ACA signup jumped so rapidly in the last two months. In early March I spent some time getting quotes on health insurance for me and my workers. I received quotes (... DID NOT sign up) from Humana through the exchange. Well come April I receive my brand new health insurance cards and a bill for my premiums. They signed me up and sent me a bill. I guess they thought since they sent me insurance cards I would assume I had decided to go with them. Who knows. If you don't send in a payment then you are removed from the list (I guess), but I wanted to make sure I was acting in good faith so I called Humana today to let them know I did not sign up, and would not be using them.

Since Humana used the exchange to sign me up, and I also had to be removed from the exchange. So I was transferred to the ACA call center. I was transferred at least 4 times, and on the last transfer was on hold for over 45 minutes when I finally hung up. I spent 2 hours on the phone, and never spoke to a person who could remove me from the rolls. It was a joke. My guess is that this is going to be a common occurrence. People who went to the exchange to be quoted, have now been signed up and counted as part of the 7.1 million to receive health insurance under ACA. It is a racket. I will be surprised if the number or actual paying customers is more than 4-5 million.

I am still pissed off about wasting so much time on the phone today, but I am thrilled I didn't make the terrible decision to join the exchange. As difficult as it is for me to imagine, I think the ACA rollout is going to get worse than it already is. My employees signed up because of how cheap it would be for them due to the rebates, but I can't imagine any paying customer (someone that would actually make this thing financially feasible) going with marketplace if they have any other option.

The rules pretty much require insurers to collect 1st moths premium prior to you being officially enrolled. Of course, the feds wont facilitate payment and instead redirect you to the carrier's web site to pay. This process has been plagued by technical issues therefore insurers resort to issuing bills in a variety of different ways. Most insurers report approximately 80% of exchange shoppers pay their 1st month's premium. So the 7.1M is actually 7.1* 0.8.

The exchange is considered the system of record. If you want to cancel, you cant do it through the carrier, you do it through the exchange and then they trigger a cancel to the insurer. We've argued for a reverss process but to no avail.

One tidbit is the rules around grace periods. Insurers cant cancel people for 90 days for non pay and the first 30 days claims HAVE to be paid. So, a Jan applicant pays his/her Jan bill then stops paying. The insurer has to pay any claims in Feb and cant cancel in March or April. The cancel gets triggered in May. In the mean time, the customer looks active so they go to the doc in March/April and get services. Docs are furious about this and want to know if exchange people are in their grace period so they can collect more than a copy etc.

Again, the first 30 days of arrears, by law, are covered.

If I were a member, i wouldn't pay my bill starting in October and wait to see if I got sick. If I wasn't, Id just let it lapse and then buy a new plan during the annual AEP. Or at the least, just never pay my Dec bill. 12 months of coverage for the price of 9 months!

Obama announced he is nominating the Chairperson of OMB to replace Sebelius. This woman was passed to run OMB 96-0. This should be interesting.

Back