• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

Check this quote:

"RNC Chairman Reince Priebus, in comments to reporters in Boston yesterday, said he supports repealing or de-funding the health-care law. When asked whether he backs a government shutdown to accomplish those goals, he said he didn’t want to discuss tactics."

So shutting down the government of the world's only superpower, with direct and deleterious impacts on millions of your countrymen, is a "tactic" now.

Someone needs to ask this clown what would do more damage to the country healthcare reform or shutting the government down for even a few days.

Fly over to Afghanistan and tell the troops there that their significant other isn't getting a check this month because you decided to throw a hissy fit as a "tactic."

Last edited:
What's accurate is the hoops doctors have to jump through to get paid.

Ok. If you're separating the current billing practices from the ACA, I agree. Dealing with any insurance company for payment is a pain in the ass.

Last edited:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-15/will-obamacare-save-taxpayer-money-that-s-classified.html

"CMS isn’t just sitting on the results. In some cases, it has barred the hospitals and health-care systems that took part in the projects from discussing what effect these experiments have had on costs. It has also instructed some health groups not to discuss future projects.

The blackouts only increase our curiosity -- and worry -- about how well those experiments are working...

By keeping a lid on this information, CMS keeps the public in the dark about the fate of its efforts, which will in turn shape the future of Medicare. And it undermines Obamacare’s goal of helping the entire health-care system save money."

If the people that work in our government behaved the same way in the private sector, unemployment would be much higher.

If the people that work in our government behaved the same way in the private sector, unemployment would be much higher.

that's why they're in the govt

btw, government shutdowns would not result in troops missing paychecks. They didn't result in civilian workers missing any either back in 95

It was made clear that exchange will go live 10.1 "in some fashion". Good or bad, there appears to be little political will to delay go live even though its probably in the best interest of the consumer. But thats the political reality on the left and the right these days. Gonna be an interesting launch.

Last edited:
On a call this week with CCIO, it was made clear that exchange will go live 10.1 "in some fashion". Good or bad, there appears to be little political will to delay go live even though its probably in the best interest of the consumer. But thats the political reality on the left and the right these days. Gonna be an interesting launch.

On a techie side note, there is a piece of exchange connectivity between insurers and HHS. Right now, of the 95 plans that are using it, only 35 have actually connected in one way and something like 6 that get a response back. Less than 2 months out and a 1/3rd hit rate = not good.

Shill!!!!

I was told this is a great law!

http://news.investors.com/081513-667591-obamacare-a-bad-deal-for-millions-of-young-people.htm

Nearly 4 million young people will be much better off financially if they refuse to buy an ObamaCare insurance policy and instead pay the fine for going without coverage next year, according to a study released Thursday by the National Center for Public Policy Research.
The study found that 3.7 million childless single people age 18-34 would save at least $500 if they didn't buy insurance and instead paid the tax penalty next year. Of those, more than 3 million would save at least $1,000.

Read More At Investor's Business Daily: http://news.investors.com/081513-66...or-millions-of-young-people.htm#ixzz2cFlQCHQ4
Follow us: @IBDinvestors on Twitter | InvestorsBusinessDaily on Facebook

Shill!!!!

I was told this is a great law!

http://news.investors.com/081513-667591-obamacare-a-bad-deal-for-millions-of-young-people.htm

Nearly 4 million young people will be much better off financially if they refuse to buy an ObamaCare insurance policy and instead pay the fine for going without coverage next year, according to a study released Thursday by the National Center for Public Policy Research.
The study found that 3.7 million childless single people age 18-34 would save at least $500 if they didn't buy insurance and instead paid the tax penalty next year. Of those, more than 3 million would save at least $1,000.

Read More At Investor's Business Daily: http://news.investors.com/081513-66...or-millions-of-young-people.htm#ixzz2cFlQCHQ4
Follow us: @IBDinvestors on Twitter | InvestorsBusinessDaily on Facebook

Sure just don't get sick or injured.

They based these figures off a 22 year old (who would still be on her parents' policy btw) making 18K a year, and she wound up saving $117 dollars for the year after tax subsidies, and that's if she stayed in perfect health and had no preventative care.

Last edited:
Sure just don't get sick or injured.

They based these figures off a 22 year old (who would still be on her parents' policy btw) making 18K a year, and she wound up saving $117 dollars for the year after tax subsidies, and that's if she stayed in perfect health and had no preventative care.

Use a 27 YO then making $45,000 a year. The mandate is a joke..$95 or 1% of income with a cap in 2014? And a wide open AEP...The exchange also isn't verifying life events in the SEP so adding coverage when you get sick wont be onerous if you want to game the system.

Oh, and then there is the "you dont have to pay your bill and you have to get coverage for a month" rule. Loop hole alert.

Use a 27 YO then making $45,000 a year. The mandate is a joke..$95 or 1% of income with a cap in 2014? And a wide open AEP...The exchange also isn't verifying life events in the SEP so adding coverage when you get sick wont be onerous if you want to game the system.
Oh, and then there is the "you dont have to pay your bill and you have to get coverage for a month" rule. Loop hole alert.[/QUOTE]

Do you have a link? I'm not familiar with these two issues.

Its in the technical guidance. There's been so much (~30,000 pages in several dozen releases), I don't have the exact reference. I could get it next week if you are interested.

The 30 day rule is widely known. If you don't pay your bill, by law, insurers have to pay claims with no limits, for 30 days. And then they have to pend you and you claims for another 60. So 90 days of pended status to wait to see if you get sick.

The SEP is really troubling. There are I think 9 reasons/events that allow you to buy coverage outside the SEP and CCIO's reco was self attestation by the insurer! So a healthy person could blow off coverage and then self attest to one of these 9 events.

Its in the technical guidance. There's been so much (~30,000 pages in several dozen releases), I don't have the exact reference. I could get it next week if you are interested.

The 30 day rule is widely known. If you don't pay your bill, by law, insurers have to pay claims with no limits, for 30 days. And then they have to pend you and you claims for another 60. So 90 days of pended status to wait to see if you get sick.

The SEP is really troubling. There are I think 9 reasons/events that allow you to buy coverage outside the SEP and CCIO's reco was self attestation by the insurer! So a healthy person could blow off coverage and then self attest to one of these 9 events.

I am, and this idea is terrible.

John Roberts, Harry Reid, John Boehner, Nancy Pelosi and yes, the Obama family are exempt from this work of legislative art, but not this lady:

http://blogs.wsj.com/peggynoonan/2013/08/13/the-high-cost-of-obamacare/

No, not her. Of course.

Wait, wait, hold on. Are you implying that it is bad news that this woman may lose her government paycheck, rendered for the service of caring for her disabled child? Aren't you always telling us that when government helps parents take care of their kids it creates an ever-downward spiral of dependency? Shouldn't you be citing this as an excellent, albeit unintended, side effect of Obamacare since it puts the onus for care right back where it rightfully belongs, on the mother?

Reactions: ONW
Wait, wait, hold on. Are you implying that it is bad news that this woman may lose her government paycheck, rendered for the service of caring for her disabled child? Aren't you always telling us that when government helps parents take care of their kids it creates an ever-downward spiral of dependency? Shouldn't you be citing this as an excellent, albeit unintended, side effect of Obamacare since it puts the onus for care right back where it rightfully belongs, on the mother?

I should expect that you can tell the difference between caring for a severely disabled person than subsidizing sloth and irresponsibility. But I've learned through scarred experience to set very low expectations around here, and to prepare for shamefully insincere arguments like yours.

Back