Page 13 of 401 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617182363113 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 8004

Thread: ACA Running Thread

  1. #241
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    120,297
    So jhmd, are the disabled the responsibility of the government?

  2. #242
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    So jhmd, are the disabled the responsibility of the government?
    How hard is it to notice that the mother is providing primary care?

  3. #243
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    120,297
    So government support is fine as long as the parent is trying?

  4. #244
    The mother is providing care, and being subsidized - in fact, paid in cash - by the government to do so. You support this transfer payment, apparently, but not other transfer payments also expressly designed to assist parents in caring for the needs of their children which they are similarly unable to independently afford.

    Just wanted to get clear where the distinction lies, and you have placed it on the fact of disability, so thanks for making that clear.

  5. #245
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon923 View Post
    The mother is providing care, and being subsidized - in fact, paid in cash - by the government to do so. You support this transfer payment, apparently, but not other transfer payments also expressly designed to assist parents in caring for the needs of their children which they are similarly unable to independently afford.

    Just wanted to get clear where the distinction lies, and you have placed it on the fact of disability, so thanks for making that clear.
    I think that's a pretty bright line worthy of demarcation, no? If I make a responsible choice to have a child that all things being equal I can provide for, raise and education, the odds overwhelmingly being that the child is healthy, and through horrid misfortune my child has these disabilities, that person deserves a helping hand. They certainly don't deserve to be forced to warehouse their child in a group home by this poorly reasoned legislation. If anyone deserves an exemption from this legislative folly, it's this family (and not the families that a) forced it down our throats and b) upheld it as "taxation").

    I don't think that a person who carelessly fathers a child he has no intention of raising deserves the same subsidy (ostensibly designed to "help" the child....slow clap), so I'm fairly comfortable drawing the line between disability and neglect.

  6. #246
    Older than Dirt WFU71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The 'Noke
    Posts
    4,338
    http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/MONEY...oyees_ST_U.htm

    "Partly blaming the health law, United Parcel Service is set to remove thousands of spouses from its medical plan because they are eligible for coverage elsewhere."
    Last edited by WFU71; 08-21-2013 at 09:33 AM.

  7. #247
    Older than Dirt WFU71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The 'Noke
    Posts
    4,338
    http://www.cleveland.com/obrien/inde...alth_care.html

    "Residents of the Garden State have recently been informed that state-approved, private health insurance coverage that suited 106,000 of them just fine does not suit the federal government at all, and thus will come to a sudden and non-negotiable end next year.

    At that point, those New Jersey residents who have taken advantage of low-cost insurance because they're rich in health but poor in financial resources will be at the mercy of a government-fabricated "market" in which the individual buyer has no leverage at all."

  8. #248

  9. #249
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    46,053
    so this guy's solution is "don't use insurance, be responsible for negotiating your own prices and hope that doctors/specialists will give a fair price"

  10. #250
    Quote Originally Posted by jhmd2000 View Post
    I think that's a pretty bright line worthy of demarcation, no? If I make a responsible choice to have a child that all things being equal I can provide for, raise and education, the odds overwhelmingly being that the child is healthy, and through horrid misfortune my child has these disabilities, that person deserves a helping hand. They certainly don't deserve to be forced to warehouse their child in a group home by this poorly reasoned legislation. If anyone deserves an exemption from this legislative folly, it's this family (and not the families that a) forced it down our throats and b) upheld it as "taxation").

    I don't think that a person who carelessly fathers a child he has no intention of raising deserves the same subsidy (ostensibly designed to "help" the child....slow clap), so I'm fairly comfortable drawing the line between disability and neglect.
    Our society should walk through plate glass to help people trying to help themselves. This is one such instance.

  11. #251
    What an absolute and undeniable clusterfuck the ACA has turned out to be. Unfortunately, the Republicans have no alternatives other than scrapping it completely. Of course, that would be an improvement and an instant economic boost, but they need to come up with a viable plan. The ACA is, at the very least, leverage for any kind of HC alternative.

  12. #252
    http://money.cnn.com/2013/08/29/news...html?hpt=hp_t2

    Tying our health insurance system to employers and employment was the original sin of the American health care system, and as this article illustrates, ACA just doubles-down on that original bad idea.

  13. #253
    Historically Competitive
    Wrangor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Mississippi Delta
    Posts
    12,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon923 View Post
    http://money.cnn.com/2013/08/29/news...html?hpt=hp_t2

    Tying our health insurance system to employers and employment was the original sin of the American health care system, and as this article illustrates, ACA just doubles-down on that original bad idea.
    Yes sir. Places more burden on business, less cost accountability on individuals and providers. It is a terrible "fix".

  14. #254
    Instead of the 40 votes to repeal Obamacare, why not vote to replace it with something better?

  15. #255
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    The main reason the right is freaking out is they know once ACA is more in place on October 1, millions of Americans will love it and the GOP won't have their issue for 2014.

  16. #256
    Historically Competitive
    Wrangor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Mississippi Delta
    Posts
    12,429
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    The main reason the right is freaking out is they know once ACA is more in place on October 1, millions of Americans will love it and the GOP won't have their issue for 2014.
    Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

  17. #257
    Historically Competitive
    Wrangor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Mississippi Delta
    Posts
    12,429
    Quote Originally Posted by WFFaithful View Post
    Instead of the 40 votes to repeal Obamacare, why not vote to replace it with something better?
    I think they would love that. Unfortunately the democrats aren't interested in a republican fix anymore than the pubs are interested in a democratic fix.

  18. #258
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrangor View Post
    I think they would love that. Unfortunately the democrats aren't interested in a republican fix anymore than the pubs are interested in a democratic fix.
    It would help their cause a lot more to present their own plan instead of just whining incessantly.

  19. #259
    Older than Dirt WFU71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The 'Noke
    Posts
    4,338
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottatl...ung-americans/

    "The Obama administration is rightfully very worried about the uninsured younger generation not participating in signing up for insurance, but not because they actually need comprehensive health insurance. The facts about health care usage by younger Americans indicate the opposite – that buying comprehensive health insurance under the dictates of this law would be an unwise financial decision. ObamaCare forces young, healthy people to buy expensive health coverage costing several thousands of dollars per year, yet they use only hundreds of dollars of health care annually, including only $56 per year in total emergency room care.

    Flying in the face of those facts, President Obama and the administration will now aggressively campaign to convince young people to sign up for his exchanges..."

  20. #260
    Historically Competitive
    Wrangor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Mississippi Delta
    Posts
    12,429
    Quote Originally Posted by WFFaithful View Post
    It would help their cause a lot more to present their own plan instead of just whining incessantly.
    I am not sure it will. Presenting their own plan just creates something to be ridiculed in an election. Condemning the status quo and hoping you can get a president in office is probably a better plan to get what they want (which is neutering/abolishing ACA).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •