• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

So Republicans at the state and federal level have had zero responsibility, zero impact, and zero influence on the ACA's implementation? Really?

Im not an absolute type of guy so sure, at the the margins, some little impact.

What did R's specifically do to prevent it from implementing? Did they miss a key requirement b/c they were voting to repeal? I think a D (Baucus) was one of the first to call it a train wreck.

Last edited:
Im not an absolute type of guy so sure, at the the margins, some little impact. BUT, the overwhelming majority of the credit or the blame falls to those in charge of implementation. Most of my criticism is on how the exchanges have be implemented. IT implementation at its worse. And Sebelluis has responsibility for this.

What did R's specifically do to prevent her from implementing? Did she miss a key requirement b/c they were voting to repeal? I think a D (Baucus) was one of the first to call it a train wreck.

I speak from the trenches, with little political agenda. As I said, if its successful, I make more $ and I work less than the 80hrs/week I have been working. I am a critic of the law is it does little structurally to control costs and I fear the creation of an unsustainable program fiscal but I want it ti succeed as its failure is even worse.

Fair enough. You are more critical of the technological implementation of the law and not the law itself then?

Received a notice from BCBSNC that my premium will increase about 50% next year. Thanks Obama.

Lots of good information in this article.

"Part of the Affordable Care Act includes a "rate review" provision. This means that when a health insurance company proposes a rate increase of 10% or more it must be gone over a group of independent experts.

If the reviewers feel insurance price increases are unreasonable, the states can try to decrease the proposed increases or deny them outright. For instance, Connecticut reduced a proposed Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield increase from 12.9 percent to 3.9 percent.

http://www.consumerreports.org/heal...e_Affordable_Care_Act-You_and_Your_Family.pdf

Last edited:
Fair enough. You are more critical of the technological implementation of the law and not the law itself then?

The law has some fundamental issues that i think won't help control costs. In fact, I think it actually will drive sots higher. Im pretty critical of that.

Lots of good information in this article.

"Part of the Affordable Care Act includes a "rate review" provision. This means that when a health insurance company proposes a rate increase of 10% or more it must be gone over a group of independent experts.

If the reviewers feel insurance price increases are unreasonable, the states can try to decrease the proposed increases or deny them outright. For instance, Connecticut reduced a proposed Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield increase from 12.9 percent to 3.9 percent.

http://www.consumerreports.org/heal...e_Affordable_Care_Act-You_and_Your_Family.pdf

They actually revised this provision...So now its they can review any rate increase. A lot of states, like NC, have a rigorous rate review process so this one gets a little more press than it deserves. That said, this is a nice provision.

Received a notice from BCBSNC that my premium will increase about 50% next year. Thanks Obama.

A major reason is NC wants Obama to fail. If they acted responsibly like so many others have, they could prevent it.

A major reason is NC wants Obama to fail. If they acted responsibly like so many others have, they could prevent it.

Rates went up because of no more pre-ex, taxes/fees, induced demand, no more gender rating, new age curves and mandated benefits. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Last edited:
If rules can work in states a different as KY, CA, NY and MD, there's no reason those same rules can't be used everywhere.

Utter crap. Rates in NC went up because of no more pre-ex, taxes/fees, induced demand, no more gender rating, new age curves and mandated benefits. You have no idea what you are talking about.

So NC insurance providers are just spreading their new costs around? How does the rate increase review law effect that?

So NC insurance providers are just spreading their new costs around? How does the rate increase review law effect that?

Pretty much what insurers are doing across the country. Unless you are on a GF plan, you need to move to a compliant plan (benefit wise) with all the new rating rules. These increases costs of the plans. You cant charge two people a different rate who are the same age in the same area unless one uses tobacco. This is one reason why rates didn't go up 200%...Lots of healthy people already in the pool.

Last edited:
If rules can work in states a different as KY, CA, NY and MD, there's no reason those same rules can't be used everywhere.

Im not even sure what argument you are making. But anyone that argues NY has a functional individual insurance market should never post on this topic. Ever.

Well i know lots of people in NY. I haven't anyone complaining about their insurance.

Of course you neglected CA, KY. MD and other states where premiums are down and coverage is good.

My bad then you'd have to show viable, working examples to disprove your 100% negativity.

Well i know lots of people in NY. I haven't anyone complaining about their insurance.

Of course you neglected CA, KY. MD and other states where premiums are down and coverage is good.

My bad then you'd have to show viable, working examples to disprove your 100% negativity.

Again, whats your point? That the ACA lowered rates in 4 states? And how does that map pack to the OP of whist going on in NC? Just trying to connect the dots...

The point is if it can work in big states and small states, in western states, eastern states, northern and southern states, there's no reason it can't work in NC or other states.

Well no other reasons that the politicians and the insurance companies not wanting it to work.

The point is if it can work in big states and small states, in western states, eastern states, northern and southern states, there's no reason it can't work in NC or other states.

Well no other reasons that the politicians and the insurance companies not wanting it to work.

Im not sure anyone can say its working yet or not. We all knew rates would go up in the majority of states. And they have. In some states like NY, they are going down as NY had an incredibly bad individual market thanks to overly strict regs. In some states rates didn't go up as high as they were projected to (good news!). In some states like Maryland rates were negotiated to smaller increases but still went up. In others, they went up more than projected (bad news). In some states insurers pulled out b/c the rates were negotiated down too far and insurers would lose too much. These are facts that are widely reported. I think we are seeing insurers looking to gamin share but post losses to do so. We will see how this works out. This game will be won by those best at risk adjustment.

And suggesting NC is trying to make the law fail is well, idiotic. How exactly have they done this?

Last edited:
One of my professors on NY:

New York’s individual insurance market is unlike any other state. In New York, insurers cannot charge higher premiums to high risk enrollees. As a result of this aggressive community rating, high risk individuals are disproportionately represented in New York’s individual policy risk pools. This drives up premiums, which drives away low risks, driving premiums even higher. Insurers in New York are counting on the purchase mandate, combined with purchase subsidies, to lure low risks into the pool. This is why they have lowered premiums.

That may be how things play out in New York, but will they play out that way in Peoria, or anywhere else? Elsewhere in the U.S., insurers can experience rate to varying degrees. The result is that low risks are able to purchase insurance at rates far below the rates in New York. The Affordable Care Act places limits on experience rating, forcing the pooling of low risks and high risks. For many, perhaps most individuals, the result will be higher rates. What happens in New York stays in New York.

http://dranove.wordpress.com/2013/07/19/the-news-from-new-york/

Back