• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

The fact the websites are crashing should scare the shit of Republicans. It means many times more people are interested in getting coverage than projected. More people are going to the sites than they can handle.

Ha ha.

Last edited:
sniffing+glue.jpg

My site is workign ok.

Last edited:
The point that you appear to be missing is that the concerns over this going live on October 1st were very real, and maybe...just maybe...there is a legit reason to delay implementation until things are ready.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Meh. I just went through the Virginia site and it was fine. Very simple and straightforward.

Plus it's not like today is some kind of make-or-break day. Coverage starts January 1 - there are over 180 days to select coverage. The initial iPhone launch by Apple and AT&T was a far bigger disaster than the sketchy availability of the Exchange sites on day one, and they didn't lose all their customers.

On top of that, it's not like the government built healthcare.gov. It's a cutting edge open source-based project headed up by private companies and based on Drupal/JSON and agile methodologies. Teal Media, Development Seed, and some other private contractors for infrastructure are even releasing the code to the public.

It routinely cracks me up to hear anti-government people slamming the work that's actually done by private companies as evidence of government failure.

The point that you appear to be missing is that the concerns over this going live on October 1st were very real, and maybe...just maybe...there is a legit reason to delay implementation until things are ready.

so you honestly believe there was going to be a time/date when the programming for this was going to be foolproof on launch day? lolz

so you honestly believe there was going to be a time/date when the programming for this was going to be foolproof on launch day? lolz

We knew enough about Bz after Stetson didn't we?

Just kidding. We don't know if ACA is a failure but we do know the launch was pretty pathetic we will see where it goes from here I guess.

We knew enough about Bz after Stetson didn't we?

Just kidding. We don't know if ACA is a failure but we do know the launch was pretty pathetic we will see where it goes from here I guess.

Pathetic? No, we don't know that yet. Though likely such an assessment may be largely in the eye of the beholder.

So what should be considered a "success" for the roll out? How many sign up in the first week? Two? Or what?

Pathetic? No, we don't know that yet. Though likely such an assessment may be largely in the eye of the beholder.

When every major newspaper pretty much says that the networks are crashing or the web site is Inadequately prepped for the roll out then I would say that is not good.

Anyone that classifies today's ACA rollout as a success needs their head examined. Politico was even reporting all the problems. They aren't exactly the bastion of TP conservatives.

I'm not saying there aren't problems. Or that it's a "success". Just that it's too early to call the roll out "pathetic". I think I'll allow a little more time for the roll out to occur and have time to reflect on some actual data and analysis before drawing a firm conclusion. But I tend to be careful that way.

What makes Medicare a "success"? Social Security? The Air Force? The EPA? The exemption of carried interest from taxation as ordinary income?

There are elements of the electorate and Congress riled up about all these things, would like nothing better than to eliminate them or radically restructure or "defund" them. What makes a government program a "success" is whether enough members of the electorate like it enough that Congress and the President aren't motivated to change it. That's all that matters.

I laugh at the complaints about website availability on launch day. Every MMO I've tried to play on launch day in the last few years has been down, and they're actually losing money when that occurs.

I laugh at the complaints about website availability on launch day. Every MMO I've tried to play on launch day in the last few years has been down, and they're actually losing money when that occurs.

Don't confuse them with reality.

I'm not saying there aren't problems. Or that it's a "success". Just that it's too early to call the roll out "pathetic". I think I'll allow a little more time for the roll out to occur and have time to reflect on some actual data and analysis before drawing a firm conclusion. But I tend to be careful that way.

The rollout is exactly that...the first thing. The rollout is the red carpet moment. It isn't the movie. It is the first impression. Here is the first impression. I typed in the words "health insurance web site" on google news. First page results:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...alth-exchange-websites-down-glitches/2901595/

http://www.newsday.com/news/health/glitches-hit-ny-s-online-health-insurance-website-1.6173946

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...ticuts-insurance-website-struggles-at-opening

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2013/oct/01/health-plan-finder-experiencing-opening-day-glitch/

http://www.wsiltv.com/news/local/Early-Glitches-in-Health-Insurance-Website-226000841.html

This isn't Rush Limbaugh. This is reality. The roll out sucked, and it sucked pretty much nationwide just as CHDeac predicted it would. Newsday, NPR, USA Today...these are first page hits on google. I am not arguing the whole law sucks, because we don't know (although you know my predictions), but to claim that the roll out was anything other than pathetic isn't based in reality.

Coverage doesn't even begin on the plans from the exchanges for three months. The initial enrollment period is 6 months.

I'll wait a bit longer to see what I think about the roll out. You go ahead and draw your conclusion in whatever way you think is right.

Coverage doesn't even begin on the plans from the exchanges for three months. The initial enrollment period is 6 months.

I'll wait a bit longer to see what I think about the roll out. You go ahead and draw your conclusion in whatever way you think is right.

And then you won't be judging the first impression. I don't have an argument against implementation because we don't know at this point. I am just talking about the girl when she walks into the room. You are talking about whether she is someone you would like to marry.

Back