• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

As dot.com said, he's put up a ton of website based businesses and none had a seamless opening week without any problems. It's unrealistic to think this one would have no problems.

Hell, Apple made their map function a key to a version of the iPhone. They spent billions getting the product ready and it didn't work for months.

Also, the federal site wouldn't be necessary if a bunch of right-leaning states hadn't shirked the responsibility of setting up a site in the first place,

Just got a letter from Blue Cross that my insurance is going to go up from $80/month to $240/mo starting in January. I'll obviously be dropping them and telling them to go fuck off, but still what about that seems right. I'm 27 year old with nothing more than a sinus infection in my past history, who doesn't smoke and maybe goes to the doctor once a year.

Where are those death panels again? Because if you're over 80 its time to die. I'm not paying for you to live 15 years longer than your God intended.

Time to put the Stratus on Craigslist and start paying your fair share, Brasky.

Just got a letter from Blue Cross that my insurance is going to go up from $80/month to $240/mo starting in January. I'll obviously be dropping them and telling them to go fuck off, but still what about that seems right. I'm 27 year old with nothing more than a sinus infection in my past history, who doesn't smoke and maybe goes to the doctor once a year.

Where are those death panels again? Because if you're over 80 its time to die. I'm not paying for you to live 15 years longer than your God intended.

The young will hurt the most as a result of this, paying higher premiums to account for the old and otherwise sick.

Can you post the letter?

Any rate increase of over 10% requires a federal review. A 200% increase makes no sense unless you're switching coverages or altering your plan.

Can you post the letter?

Any rate increase of over 10% requires a federal review. A 200% increase makes no sense unless you're switching coverages or altering your plan.

Oh I'm sure he's not making it up. I got the BC/BS letter late last week. I am self employed and have bought a high deductible HSA plan through them for the past three years. I go to the doctor about once per year and I am lucky in that I have no pre-existing conditions or other issues so my premiums were not that bad. My monthly health insurance was 196.98 per month.

In the letter I received, my plan no longer exists under ACA. They will automatically enroll me in the next closest plan, which is the BC/BS "bronze" plan in NC. That plan raises my yearly deductible from 5000 to 5500 per year and will now cost me 282 per month, or about a 45 percent increase. I will join my wife's employer subsidized care on January 1, so it's not really an issue for me, but it sucks to think that I would have worse coverage and pay 45 percent more to keep it. (For the record, I support the ACA)

Oh I'm sure he's not making it up. I got the BC/BS letter late last week. I am self employed and have bought a high deductible HSA plan through them for the past three years. I go to the doctor about once per year and I am lucky in that I have no pre-existing conditions or other issues so my premiums were not that bad. My monthly health insurance was 196.98 per month.

In the letter I received, my plan no longer exists under ACA. They will automatically enroll me in the next closest plan, which is the BC/BS "bronze" plan in NC. That plan raises my yearly deductible from 5000 to 5500 per year and will now cost me 282 per month, or about a 45 percent increase. I will join my wife's employer subsidized care on January 1, so it's not really an issue for me, but it sucks to think that I would have worse coverage and pay 45 percent more to keep it. (For the record, I support the ACA)

I predict a chorus of crickets from the usual suspects.

Im sure this was based on on the fact that your current plan fell below the minimum floor of the ACA which is one of my biggest issues with the law. As others posted here, the NC "core" increases was ~50% which is the increase needed to cover all without pre-ex, sk with pre-ex etc, taxes, trend and pent up demand.

Since you are under 30, there is a also a catastrophic plan which could be ~25% cheaper so it might be worth a look with BCBS or Coventry. And there are of course tax credits. Im happy to help if you want to PM me.

I predict a chorus of crickets from the usual suspects.

Only if you are grandfathered which means you had to stay on essentially the same plan since March 2010. Many people didn't do that. FWIW, the BCBSNC rate increase on GF plans that are exempt front he law was ~5%.

Only if you are grandfathered which means you had to stay on essentially the same plan since March 2010. Many people didn't do that. FWIW, the BCBSNC rate increase on GF plans that are exempt front he law was ~5%.

~5% increase for the eligible-to-be-liked-and-kept-plans is a pretty far cry from the 300% increase Brasky spoke of.

I should continue to add that I'm not "against" the ACA; I think it adds a lot of important, needed features to our system. but this charade that it was going to bring down costs to people who pay for stuff in this country has always been fantasy. RJ can lick his framed picture of Rachel Maddow until his tongue gets ulcers, and that was still never going to happen.

I think adding (at least one) a new primary care centric medical school and teaching hospital in every State and offering heavily subsidized tuition in exchange for service in a public hospital would have been the right way to add the needed supply to the system. We have the best health care in the world, we just don't have enough of it.

~5% increase for the eligible-to-be-liked-and-kept-plans is a pretty far cry from the 300% increase Brasky spoke of.

I should continue to add that I'm not "against" the ACA; I think it adds a lot of important, needed features to our system. but this charade that it was going to bring down costs to people who pay for stuff in this country has always been fantasy. RJ can lick his framed picture of Rachel Maddow until his tongue gets ulcers, and that was still never going to happen.

I think adding (at least one) a new primary care centric medical school and teaching hospital in every State and offering heavily subsidized tuition in exchange for service in a public hospital would have been the right way to add the needed supply to the system. We have the best health care in the world, we just don't have enough of it.

I'll explain the 50% increases all day long to anyone that wants to listen.

The 300% are largely because of the plan designs. Many people preferred to buy low cost, catastrophic coverage. The law changed that. For example,some sold policies with $20k deductibles because that's what a segment of the population demanded. Protection against huge loss. But these are now outlawed. The most a plan can have OOP is $6350. Going from $6350 to $20000 is a big increases in premium.

Supply is a whole different story.

Last edited:
I'll explain the 50% increases all day long to anyone that wants to listen.

The 300% (and in some cases higher) are largely because of the plan designs. Many people preferred to buy low cost, catastrophic coverage. The law changed that. For example, BCBSNC sold policies with $20k deductibles because that's what a segment of the population demanded. Protection against huge loss. But these are now outlawed. The most a plan can have OOP is $6350. Going from $6350 to $20000 is a huge increases in premium.

Supply is a whole different story.

We (for five of us) pay $770 per month (at least we have in 2013, no letter yet) with a deductible around 6,000.00. We rarely if ever spend more than $400.00 out of pocket on a yearly basis, but theoretically we've got coverage against the catastrophic illness that my friend (a two-time liver transplantee) just finished going through. Apparently BC/BS paid every penny of his nearly $1.6m in care.

To me the answer has always been supply.

P.S. Without consciously trying to do so, I think I just figured out who you are. Does your last name start with an "S"?

Last edited:
We (for five of us) pay $770 per month (at least we have in 2013, no letter yet) with a deductible around 6,000.00. We rarely if ever spend more than $400.00 out of pocket on a yearly basis, but theoretically we've got coverage against the catastrophic illness that my friend (a two-time liver transplantee) just finished going through. Apparently BC/BS paid every penny of his nearly $1.6m in care.

To me the answer has always been supply.

P.S. Without consciously trying to do so, I think I just figured out who you are. Does your last name start with an "S"?

Nope. But Im curious who the S person alter ego is. Id post my name but RJ would probably add me to some shill enemy list that the LA underground keeps. Wait, that might actually be kind of funny.

Nope. But Im curious who the S person alter ego is. Id post my name but RJ would probably add me to some shill enemy list that the LA underground keeps. Wait, that might actually be kind of funny.

A late 30's something guy from Winston that went to Wake, lives in Chapel Hill, and works in health care policy.

I was thinking the CH meant Chapel Hill, after the health care expertise started flowing fast and furious.

A late 30's something guy from Winston that went to Wake, lives in Chapel Hill, and works in health care policy.

I was thinking the CH meant Chapel Hill, after the health care expertise started flowing fast and furious.

Thats scary that there is a bizarro CHDeac out there. RJ should be shaking in his birkenstocks.

Last edited:
I wonder what topics rj does not consider himself an expert in

Back