• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

so once the federal government has been destroyed, what do the congressmen do for a living?

bob, stop bothering them with historical facts. Obama proposed a Gang of Six that included three Republican senators. None of them EVER showed up to a meeting.

The individual mandate is a 100% REPUBLICAN idea. It was created by the American Enterprise Institute. It was called the best thing since sliced bread by Bob Dole and most of the Republicans who remain in Congress from those days.

Obama got rid of single payer to get Republican support. Obama got rid of the "government option" to appease Republicans

The GOP thought he should do 100% of what they wanted or they wouldn't play. Even then they would have asked for more.

The GOP is like the fat, stupid, smelly kid showing up at the prom with his 90yo grandmother saying Megan Fox would have been his date had he only asked.

It's interesting that the Republicans want to "negotiate" ACA now (at the barrell of a fiscal disaster gun, of course)....after the bill has been passed, signed into law, and upheld by the Supreme Court. Where were all those "we want to negotiate ACA Republicans" three years ago, when the bill being considered and Obama was making repeated concessions in an attempt to get the Republicans to engage in negotiations? They were in their "oppose anything that President Obama tries to do and make him a one-term president" mode.

If they really think they can sell the voters on the idea that this shutdown is Obama's fault, they are even dumber than I thought they were.

IMHO Republicans didn't want to negotiate because they thought that either they would take back the presidency and repeal, or that the Supreme Court would strike it down. No reason to negotiate if you think either of those things happen, especially the former.

That said, it's not worth trying to apply logic to anything politicians (including those from the Democratic party) do.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304441404579119740283413018.html?mod=ITP_pageone_0

"...The website is troubled by coding problems and flaws in the architecture of the system, according to insurance-industry advisers, technical experts and people close to the development of the marketplace..."

1co3iVI

I don't know when you are going to see another Republican president. Losing a 2nd election to Obama by 5 million votes in a depressed economy, along with the constantly worsening population demograhics they face, is not an encouraging sign for the future of the GOP. And if they allow their Tea Party fanatics to either dictate their nominee...or castrate one not of their choosing by forcing him to move far to the right to get the nomination...they are just going to keep getting beat.

Don't disagree - I consider myself an independent voter with conservative leanings, and you summarize my frustrations with the Republican party pretty well.

But we digress from the topic at hand.

Here's the real reason why rates are going up in NC:

""Only Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina will offer insurance plans available statewide on the exchange. The only other company selling coverage on North Carolina's exchange is Coventry Health Care of the Carolinas. It plans to offer plans on the exchange in 39 counties, including rural ones and those that include Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro, Asheville and Fayetteville. Aetna acquired Coventry in May."

"North Carolina shoppers also will have fewer than half the policies to choose from than the average of 53 plans across the 36 states."

CH's company has driven out all the competition in most of the state. You are screwed.

""Only Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina will offer insurance plans available statewide on the exchange. The only other company selling coverage on North Carolina's exchange is Coventry Health Care of the Carolinas. It plans to offer plans on the exchange in 39 counties, including rural ones and those that include Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro, Asheville and Fayetteville. Aetna acquired Coventry in May."

"North Carolina shoppers also will have fewer than half the policies to choose from than the average of 53 plans across the 36 states."

CH's company has driven out all the competition in most of the state. You are screwed.

McCrory turning down Medicaid expansion had a lot to do with this.

McCrory turning down Medicaid expansion had a lot to do with this.

My understanding was that turning down the Medicaid expansion did not impact the rates of the plans, but rather limited the amount of subsidies states could offer to help pay for those plans. Could be wrong though.

Any thoughts as to why other carriers didn't elect to go on exchange in NC? Off exchange, NC has a lot of competition (United, Humana, Cigna, Assurant...I think over a dozen in total)...And rates of went up too for many without the offset of tax credits. Just curious as to what explains this...Product rules/reqts are all the same and pricing largely the same too....

Any thoughts as to why other carriers didn't elect to go on exchange in NC? Off exchange, NC has a lot of competition (United, Humana, Cigna, Assurant...I think over a dozen in total)...And rates of went up too for many without the offset of tax credits. Just curious as to what explains this...Product rules/reqts are all the same and pricing largely the same too....

CH, he clearly has no idea what he is talking about and I wish you would not waste your time dealing with his idiocy. I do appreciate your input on this thread and just wish you would not get bogged down in responding to talking points.

Just check out John Stewart.

[video]http://hotair.com/archives/2013/10/08/video-stewart-rips-sebelius-over-obamacare/[/video]

So "hundreds of thousands of people have signed up" thru seven days. I wonder what happened to the many millions of people who we heard were inquiring on Oct. 1st? Were they just curious?

So "hundreds of thousands of people have signed up" thru seven days. I wonder what happened to the many millions of people who we heard were inquiring on Oct. 1st? Were they just curious?

Yep, fold up the tent. The first week didn't solve the healthcare problem so, that's that

Back