• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

One of the reasons the percentages are growing is ACA subsidies and making them more affordable.

How about this for an idea? If M4A becomes available, instead of taking the full 30+% savings and use to go towards covering advantage/RX programs. It would make M4A the largest pool and lower prices further.

One of the reasons MA plans are growing is due to ACA subsidies? Please elaborate!

Medicare has 2-3% in overhead costs versus 15-18% for insurance companies. They don't private insurance companies to administer anything.

Private insurance also spends about 15% on marketing. This would be basically more savings in the Medicare insurance offering.

We should compare apples to apples here. How does MA (Part C, aka private Medicare) compare to Parts A & B and D. It essentially two competing products with the same cohorts of members.

We should also compare total spend v. just looking at administrative costs. You need admin $ to help control medical expense. Medicare is FFS so the cost control mechanisms other than low FFS amount historically were lacking though that's changing (good news).

BTW, marketing charges are no where near 15% of premium.

I think I understand what you are saying.

But I think I disagree.

No way to know, of course, what would have been the outcome if a bill more aggressive than the ACA had been passed by Obama and Dems.

My guess is it would have been repealed more easily and quickly.

At this point, no effective reform is apparently going to hold unless we can keep Pubs out of power.

I dont understand your response that "it would have been repealed more easily and quickly" if it had been more aggressive. The saving grace of the ACA was the Medicaid expansion and the protection of people with preexisting conditions. The basic problem that makes the ACA so unpopular is not the benefit, its that it places an onerous financial burden on small business and the dwindling middle class.

Most of its unpopularity, not its problems/weakness, has been ginned up lies by Pubs who viewed it not as an opportunity to do something good/needed but one to spin wildly to their political advantage.

It’s the latter they’d have had an easier time with had it been more of a true government “takeover” of healthcare.

Most of its unpopularity, not its problems/weakness, has been ginned up lies by Pubs who viewed it not as an opportunity to do something good/needed but one to spin wildly to their political advantage.

It’s the latter they’d have had an easier time with had it been more of a true government “takeover” of healthcare.
Help me understand how/why you would seperate the problems of the ACA from its unpopularity? Outside of Medicaid recipients the ACA has been a clusterfuck, particularly for working class people.

Help me understand how/why you would seperate the problems of the ACA from its unpopularity? Outside of Medicaid recipients the ACA has been a clusterfuck, particularly for working class people.

Who is really hurt by the ACA? Largely people who buy their own insurance and make more than 400% of the FPL, arguably 300%. Some impact in the SG market but not nearly as much.

Lots of people claim harm who have large group insurance. Thats total BS IMHO.

Yep

It’s healthy folks not qualifying for subsidies that have been most adversely affected.

Although the insurance they’ve purchased is more comprehensive in most cases.

The Tea Party and the Republican party at large are not basing much of anything in facts these days. They opposed this plan before it was a plan and devised the reasons behind their opposition after the fact. They drummed up opposition among the electorate before the electorate even knew what was going on. The stoked existing anger amongst rural whites that city folk had elected a black man President into hatred of a law that actually probably helped a lot of rural whites and was in reality a Republican idea that the black President stole. And now they've gone and created more problems with the law by repealing pieces of it out of anger and not out any sincere effort to fix the problems. That's why you separate the real problems with the law form it's unpopularity. It's unpopularity is entirely based on bullshit, not any thing factual about the law.

The Tea Party and the Republican party at large are not basing much of anything in facts these days. They opposed this plan before it was a plan and devised the reasons behind their opposition after the fact. They drummed up opposition among the electorate before the electorate even knew what was going on. The stoked existing anger amongst rural whites that city folk had elected a black man President into hatred of a law that actually probably helped a lot of rural whites and was in reality a Republican idea that the black President stole. And now they've gone and created more problems with the law by repealing pieces of it out of anger and not out any sincere effort to fix the problems. That's why you separate the real problems with the law form it's unpopularity. It's unpopularity is entirely based on bullshit, not any thing factual about the law.

Not entirely true. Try talking to the family of 4 who pays $30k a year for insurance. That family paid $8k a year in 2013. Or to the family that was told "they can keep their plan" only to be forced off it it. Or to the independent primary care practice who closed up shop as a result of the ACA as mine just did.

The ACA is certainly blamed for a lot of silly things but it has hurt a not insignificant # of people.

...Or to the independent primary care practice who closed up shop as a result of the ACA as mine just did

Hmm...not sure I understand why they would primarily blame the ACA.

Primary care has been under mostly unfavorable pressures for decades.

Not entirely true. Try talking to the family of 4 who pays $30k a year for insurance. That family paid $8k a year in 2013. Or to the family that was told "they can keep their plan" only to be forced off it it. Or to the independent primary care practice who closed up shop as a result of the ACA as mine just did.

The ACA is certainly blamed for a lot of silly things but it has hurt a not insignificant # of people.

OK, fair enough, opposition to the bill was not entirely bullshit...but most of the Republican's opposition and even anger over the plan was established before the plan came out and was rooted in nothing other than wanting Obama to fail.

OK, fair enough, opposition to the bill was not entirely bullshit...but most of the Republican's opposition and even anger over the plan was established before the plan came out and was rooted in nothing other than wanting Obama to fail.

Theres some truth to that. But there was certainly very rational criticism of the bill and what was about to happen cost wise and that Obama wasnt being truthful when he said those infamous words. Those that took that position (and also commented on just how horrible the roll out was) were called shills and liars on these very here boards. I remember telling folks here that literally only like 7 people got enrolled on the first day and I was called every name in the book. Ironically, I met with the guy that led the fix and he said he thought 7 was high. But I do agree that there were a lot of silly baseless claims.

Hmm...not sure I understand why they would primarily blame the ACA.

Primary care has been under mostly unfavorable pressures for decades.

Carriers had to adjust networks and align with systems. Those that went alone were often left out in the cold and slowly withered.

Ironically, Primary Care is where all the new value based excitement (and $$$) is these days.

Theres some truth to that. But there was certainly very rational criticism of the bill and what was about to happen cost wise and that Obama wasnt being truthful when he said those infamous words. Those that took that position (and also commented on just how horrible the roll out was) were called shills and liars on these very here boards. I remember telling folks here that literally only like 7 people got enrolled on the first day and I was called every name in the book. Ironically, I met with the guy that led the fix and he said he thought 7 was high. But I do agree that there were a lot of silly baseless claims.

I am not defending this bill in any way. I think it sucked because it tried to find a middle of the road the solution that kept every one happy but in the end no one was happy.

I am not defending this bill in any way. I think it sucked because it tried to find a middle of the road the solution that kept every one happy but in the end no one was happy.

Oh, I know. Lots of people here like to dismiss the fact based criticism of the bill. IMHO, it did some good and did some bad but really didn't impact all that many people.

Counter argument: yes it did?

20M at it high water mark out of 330M (my stats may be a little off) The way people bitched about it, you would have thought it hit everyone in the country hard.

For the most part, it helped some lower income Americans and those that had trouble getting insurance due to their health. Thats a good thing.

Counterpoint?

Back