• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

Thanks. That’s a good read.

Take again the case of a secretary earning $50,000 in wage and currently contributing $15,000 through her employer to an insurance company. With universal health insurance, her wage would rise to $65,000 – her full labor compensation. With an income tax of 6% – which, if applied to a base large enough, would be enough to fund universal health insurance – she would have to pay about $4,000 more in tax. But the net gain would be enormous: $11,000. Instead of taking home $50,000, the secretary would take home $61,000.

That's an optimistic view of the behavior of employers. I highly doubt people will see a 1:1 correspondence in wage increase.

That's an optimistic view of the behavior of employers. I highly doubt people will see a 1:1 correspondence in wage increase.

You can argue as to whether it is the right approach, but that is one of the reasons why Warren's plan is designed the way it is. It mandates that whatever employers were paying for employer side premiums, they now owe 98% of that to the government. That way you don't have to rely on the employers to give their workers that raise.

ha yeah

just like the corporate tax cuts !

giphy.gif

it's ridiculous that 'real prices' isn't on the top 5 things to do WRT to healthcare. you'd think republicans would be hammering that "market" drum in response to the Dem direction

EVERY Dem candidate should make "surprise bills" the first law they would ask to be introduced. They are outrageous, immoral and should be considered bait and switch and thus illegal.

The penalties need to be extreme and after a certain number (as low as 3-5), executives at the facilities, the doctors and executives of the insurance company should be held criminally and personally, civilly accountable.

This should be a no brainer and should lessen fears about changing other aspects of healthcare.

EVERY Dem candidate should make "surprise bills" the first law they would ask to be introduced. They are outrageous, immoral and should be considered bait and switch and thus illegal.

The penalties need to be extreme and after a certain number (as low as 3-5), executives at the facilities, the doctors and executives of the insurance company should be held criminally and personally, civilly accountable.

This should be a no brainer and should lessen fears about changing other aspects of healthcare.

It should be a crime to not honor a contract that you aren't a party to?

In any other business, it would be fraud. But keep defending these immoral acts perpetrating against the most vulnerable.

The recent onslaught of surprise billing ads is very confusing on one hand but as the old saying goes, just follow the $. Is this some pro consumer group? No. They are being funded by VC firms who own stake in large medical practices who are ripping off unsuspecting consumers.

Insurers are very supportive of setting rates on the providers who refuse to contract with payers (anesthesiologists, ambulances, staffed ER docs, etc). In some cases, these providers charge 4-5x times what Medicare pays, leaving patients with "surprise bills". These fix has bi-partisan support, yet here comes the dark $ to confuse the matter. And they have. I think ultimately something will pass that will protect consumers.

My friend got a bill for coverage at a hospital in his network. The surprise was that the ER had been contracted to an outside source and he was billed. That's immoral and should be illegal.

The situation that CH explains should be illegal as well.

My friend got a bill for coverage at a hospital in his network. The surprise was that the ER had been contracted to an outside source and he was billed. That's immoral and should be illegal.

The situation that CH explains should be illegal as well.

They are really one in the same. And the rate setting fix largely addresses. Please call congress to support it!

In any other business, it would be fraud. But keep defending these immoral acts perpetrating against the most vulnerable.

Please tell me how doctors who don’t sign a contract with an insurance company are committing fraud.

They are participants in the fraud. They are knowingly creating bills that shouldn't exist.

I realize you must disagree with everything I post or burst into flame, but even industry insider CH agrees with me.

Back