• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

Trump administration filed their brief with the Supreme Court to overturn the ACA yesterday, with no plan for replacement. Which would reverse medicaid expansion and strike protections for those with pre-existing conditions, among other things. In the middle of a pandemic.

But the people most likely to die because of Trump's actions are Dems. Fuck 'em!!!

The link is to your post.

Does Roberts have the balls to kick 20,000,000 off their insurance?

You do realize if the Supreme Court kills ACA that Covid will be a pre-existing condition used to gouge rates, don't you?

yea another good reason to give medicare to all people

Which is something we agree on, but the methods to do it differ.

It won't be "give". In other countries, you still pay.

BTW, Biden's plan says no one would pay more than 8.5% of their income towards premiums. This could mean if it's done like in UK or Germany where employers chip in, people would likely pay less than 5% of income for family insurance.

I'm surprised it costs $10 to produce.

Big pharma makes fun of Mexican and Colombian cartels for making so little money and taking such risks in their drug dealing.

Which is something we agree on, but the methods to do it differ.

It won't be "give". In other countries, you still pay.

BTW, Biden's plan says no one would pay more than 8.5% of their income towards premiums. This could mean if it's done like in UK or Germany where employers chip in, people would likely pay less than 5% of income for family insurance.

Why the fuck would you we pay premiums for insurance in the first place? We don't need *another* goddamn middleman for health care. The health insurance industry is a huge fucking obstacle in regulating health care costs.

pharma, biotech, device manufacturers, etc. love that they can keep gouging private insurers for something they'd actually have to price bargain with a single payer for, at least if i understand the very basic concept of monopsony power correctly

rj is still stuck on the GOP "let insurers sell across state lines" 80s idea that there are still neoliberal loopholes and tax credits we haven't found to optimize employer-funded private care

pharma, biotech, device manufacturers, etc. love that they can keep gouging private insurers for something they'd actually have to price bargain with a single payer for, at least if i understand the very basic concept of monopsony power correctly

rj is still stuck on the GOP "let insurers sell across state lines" 80s idea that there are still neoliberal loopholes and tax credits we haven't found to optimize employer-funded private care

Why do you LIE like this so often? From before you were on the boards through the fight for ACA and beyond, I have UNIFORMLY opposed allowing insurance companies to sell across state lines for a myriad of reasons. Among them is that states will end up with one or two insures and being grossly over priced. Another huge reason is why you see credit card companies in states with little or no consumer protection which would make it even worse for healthcare.

Stop being so fucking lazy and dishonest! Don't just INVENT things to assign to me!

Of course, you won't apologize and admit that's what you did. If you think it's bad, say RJ's for whether he is or not.

I won't hold my breath waiting for you to apologize and admit you couldn't be more wrong.

There are plenty of countries that contain cost without a single-payer system. Medicare for all would be great especially for me since my income producing days are coming to an end and I'm going to be a larger consumer of health care services but it isn't going to happen so let's try to get some Cost Containment teeth into ACA

I honestly would like to hear more from health insurance advocates on how the health insurance industry coexists with government as payers, without directly competing with one another. It's been 5+ years since I worked for BCBSofNC, but I remember hearing daily complaints from customers and providers on the advantages that private health insurance had over Medicare/Medicaid. Providers planning on opting out out of the Medicare network, providers prioritizing insured patients, etc.

Why the fuck would you we pay premiums for insurance in the first place? We don't need *another* goddamn middleman for health care. The health insurance industry is a huge fucking obstacle in regulating health care costs.

As to employers not paying in socialized medicine countries:

"Germany's healthcare contribution costs are 14.6 to 15.6%, half of which the worker pays, and half the employer"

"Healthcare coverage has been compulsory for private French companies to provide employees since 2016. This type of medical insurance will typically cover the remaining 30% of your medical fees including emergency hospital care."

As I've said over and over again, the quickest way to get to M4A or universal coverage is to offer Medicare as an option for employers of all sizes. Whether you work in a two person office or for Wal-Mart, you'd pay the same premium.

When you take away the profit for insurance companies, the overhead (15+% for private companies vs. under 4% for Medicare) and are in a pool of hundreds of millions, you are looking at saving 30+% for all. Do you actually think private insurance companies could compete?

Private insurance would be out of business and universal care would be in place long before you could get M4A passed in Congress.

Last edited:
I honestly would like to hear more from health insurance advocates on how the health insurance industry coexists with government as payers, without directly competing with one another. It's been 5+ years since I worked for BCBSofNC, but I remember hearing daily complaints from customers and providers on the advantages that private health insurance had over Medicare/Medicaid. Providers planning on opting out out of the Medicare network, providers prioritizing insured patients, etc.

A major reason providers "opt out" is because they can. When opting into Medicare hits critical mass, doctors and hospitals won't be able to stay in business doing that. There will be pissed off doctors and insurance companies, but fuck 'em.

As to employers not paying in socialized medicine countries:

"Germany's healthcare contribution costs are 14.6 to 15.6%, half of which the worker pays, and half the employer"

"Healthcare coverage has been compulsory for private French companies to provide employees since 2016. This type of medical insurance will typically cover the remaining 30% of your medical fees including emergency hospital care."

As I've said over and over again, the quickest way to get to M4A or universal coverage is to offer Medicare as an option for employers of all sizes. Whether you work in a two person office or for Wal-Mart, you'd pay the same premium.

When you take away the profit for insurance companies, the overhead (15+% for private companies vs. under 4% for Medicare) and are in a pool of hundreds of millions, you are looking at saving 30+% for all. Do you actually think private insurance companies could compete?

Private insurance would be out of business and universal care would be in place long before you could get M4A passed in Congress.

The "Opt in" option sounds good for "liberty", but actually think about the population who are going to "Opt in" - the poorest and the sickest. How is the government going to compete with private health insurance, as a payer, when they are servicing all the cast off sick people that were driving up the costs of private health insurance in the first place?! The math doesn't add up, RJ. Socialized health care requires healthy working people pay taxes to cover sick people. Are you talking about those same healthy working people.paying their premiums AND paying the tax increase to cover the public option?

There are plenty of countries that contain cost without a single-payer system. Medicare for all would be great especially for me since my income producing days are coming to an end and I'm going to be a larger consumer of health care services but it isn't going to happen so let's try to get some Cost Containment teeth into ACA

instead of ABC it's ABP

Always Be Pre-negotiating

Back