• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

The "Opt in" option sounds good for "liberty", but actually think about the population who are going to "Opt in" - the poorest and the sickest. How is the government going to compete with private health insurance, as a payer, when they are servicing all the cast off sick people that were driving up the costs of private health insurance in the first place?! The math doesn't add up, RJ. Socialized health care requires healthy working people pay taxes to cover sick people. Are you talking about those same healthy working people.paying their premiums AND paying the tax increase to cover the public option?

It has worked for Medicare which covers the oldest and sickest people in our society.

Whether you call it "taxes" or premiums", it's the same money. The poorest don't pay anyway.

I only pay $145/month for my Medicare and like millions of other seniors and am able to cover my copays and RX (luckily I have none) for nothing. I realize, I have paid into it over the years, but it's not all that much. Poor people on Medicare don't pay anything.

Additionally, by having tens of millions of young, healthy people in the pool, the cost per person will be dramatically lower. Think of it this way, a person works for a small restaurant, right now IF they are covered, their premiums are based on a pool of 5-15. This way the people are in a pool of 150,000,000 or more.

On top of that, you cut 30% for the middleman fees paid to private insurers.

People will go to the public option and drive the private companies into providing supplemental and elective services as they do throughout Europe. If you try to pass M4A on its own, you will scare the shit out of enough people that it won't happen. However, if you say there is a 100% public option, you will get there without them even realizing it's happening.

I am pissed right now. A new bbq place opened two weekends ago and I wanted some of their ribs, but they are only doing a soft opening on Saturdays through July. I could almost taste those ribs.

Guys, let's talk about lowering the cost of healthcare. But first, let me get some ribs to increase my risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer.

what does this 100% public option do for people who can't afford it

The infrastructure alone required to cover the public option would necessitate the abolition of private health insurance. This is what these conversations always turn into - liberals explaining everything the public option could do, without ever explaining how to create that necessary infrastructure without dismantling and requisitioning private health insurance. You cant just say "well medicare and medicaid already exist", when you're talking about tripling that population, and socializing all their benefits.

“Medicare for all would benefit me (and millions of people) but i won’t support it because it’s not in my class interests.”
ChrisL

I will fully acknowledge that mixed health care economies work in other countries like Germany, but how are we going to replicate the GKV single payer system, which covers 90% of Germans, without ripping apart the private insurance industry? The price control regulations alone are going to require us completely defanging private health insurance as a payer.

what does this 100% public option do for people who can't afford it

They get covered anyway.

Why can't you ADMIT you MADE UP a totally BULLSHIT statement about me supporting selling insurance across state lines?

Why do you make up lies like that?

I will fully acknowledge that mixed health care economies work in other countries like Germany, but how are we going to replicate the GKV single payer system, which covers 90% of Germans, without ripping apart the private insurance industry? The price control regulations alone are going to require us completely defanging private health insurance as a payer.

We have better delivery systems in place already.

Why do you LIE like this so often? From before you were on the boards through the fight for ACA and beyond, I have UNIFORMLY opposed allowing insurance companies to sell across state lines for a myriad of reasons. Among them is that states will end up with one or two insures and being grossly over priced. Another huge reason is why you see credit card companies in states with little or no consumer protection which would make it even worse for healthcare.

Stop being so fucking lazy and dishonest! Don't just INVENT things to assign to me!

Of course, you won't apologize and admit that's what you did. If you think it's bad, say RJ's for whether he is or not.

I won't hold my breath waiting for you to apologize and admit you couldn't be more wrong.

lol my point wasn't that you liked the actual idea of a cross-state marketplace (that was always jh's idea), it's that you're scraping the same bottom of the barrel he was for ideas. read what i wrote again.

This is the direct quote"rj is still stuck on the GOP "let insurers sell across state lines" 80s idea "

You are totally lying sack of shit. You SPECIFICALLY said I was STUCK on that idea.

PATHETIC..

Just like on the Currie thread. A person who is in possession of my Tier One Source material posted he is.

You said you'd perma-ban yourself. Is your next post your last?

John Currie thread....
But you'll lie about that, too..

Sorry where is this glorious vindication you’re talking about? Just DG3 the MAGA dipshit saying you know a guy? Ok, I didn’t realize those were the terms we agreed to.

rj is still stuck on the GOP "let insurers sell across state lines" 80s idea that there are still neoliberal loopholes and tax credits we haven't found to optimize employer-funded private care

And back on topic here’s the full quote you illiterate anti Semite old fuck

And back on topic here’s the full quote you illiterate anti Semite old fuck

You are such an ignorant, lying prick that you can't understand the difference between opposing a SINGLE person and opposing the entire group he is in.

Your hate is nearly limitless. You should work on that over the next few months. Otherwise, you may end up raising a Colonel Angus or sailor who revolts against you.

Interestingly I don’t seem to cultivate these kinds of problems in my personal life, but you seem to have them at every turn

You are such an ignorant, lying prick that you can't understand the difference between opposing a SINGLE person and opposing the entire group he is in.

Your hate is nearly limitless. You should work on that over the next few months. Otherwise [redacted] a Colonel Angus or sailor who revolts against you.

Removed the piece I object to. The rest is msg board hyperbole. That was not cool.

Neither was what he said to me. If he's going lie about me and then insult me over and over and over for years, nothing is off the table.

I appreciate you trying to be a peacemaker, but townie wants to fight. He wants to insult and act like an ass. He chose it.

There's no such thing as a fair fight outside of a ring or octagon. The Chicago Way.

Y’all are going to need M4A to recover from those SICK BURNS.

Back