• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

"The Manhattan Institute received over $31 million in grants from 1985 to 2012, from foundations such as the Koch Family Foundations, the John M. Olin Foundation, the Bradley Foundation, the Scaife Foundations, and the Smith Richardson Foundation. The Manhattan Institute does not disclose its corporate funding, but the Capital Research Center listed its contributors as Bristol-Myers Squibb, ExxonMobil, Chase Manhattan, Cigna, Sprint Nextel, Reliant Energy, Lincoln Financial Group Foundation, and Merrill Lynch. Throughout the 1990s the Tobacco industry was a major funding source for the institute."

"He is a contributor to National Review Online, where he was described as a member of Mitt Romney's Health Care Policy Advisory Group."

I'm sure the assumptions are fair and balanced though

"The Manhattan Institute received over $31 million in grants from 1985 to 2012, from foundations such as the Koch Family Foundations, the John M. Olin Foundation, the Bradley Foundation, the Scaife Foundations, and the Smith Richardson Foundation. The Manhattan Institute does not disclose its corporate funding, but the Capital Research Center listed its contributors as Bristol-Myers Squibb, ExxonMobil, Chase Manhattan, Cigna, Sprint Nextel, Reliant Energy, Lincoln Financial Group Foundation, and Merrill Lynch. Throughout the 1990s the Tobacco industry was a major funding source for the institute."

"He is a contributor to National Review Online, where he was described as a member of Mitt Romney's Health Care Policy Advisory Group."

I'm sure the assumptions are fair and balanced though

How very RJ of you to refute the source without addressing or refuting the content.

The gangster administration never intended for people to be able to keep their plans.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2013/11/lies-of-obamacare-documented.php

Those numbers starkly contradict Obama’s “if you like your insurance, you can keep it” assurances. But it is worth noting that the percentage of pre-Obamacare plans that would terminate within the first few years after the law was enacted isn’t the main point. The administration never intended to allow any American to keep a non-Obamacare insurance policy for any length of time. In the Federal Register, the administration candidly acknowledged:

The collective decisions of plan sponsors and issuers over time can be viewed as a one-way sorting process in which these parties decide whether, and when, to relinquish status as a grandfathered health plan.

The administration was prepared to be patient as the “one-way sorting process” ran its course, and all Americans lost the plans they had, whether they liked them or not.

How very RJ of you to refute the source without addressing or refuting the content.

My intent wasn't to refute the content but to give a view of the author's allegiances, and how that may affect his conclusions and assumptions.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/challenges-have-dogged-obamas-health-plan-since-2010/2013/11/02/453fba42-426b-11e3-a624-41d661b0bb78_story.html

Whole article is worth a read, but:

Inside the Department of Health and Human Services’ Centers for Medicare and Medicaid, the main agency responsible for the exchanges, there was no single administrator whose full-time job was to manage the project.

On Aug. 17, about six weeks before the launch date, a company employee sent an e-mail to a CMS staffer — with copies to more than a dozen other CMS staff members — detailing an “updated schedule” for work on the exchange. The e-mail, obtained by The Post, said that, for the tasks that CGI was responsible for, the exchange was 55 percent complete.

White House officials say they were focused on whether there would be enough insurance plans for sale in the new marketplaces and on whether enough people would enroll. They say they didn’t have a clue how troubled the Web site’s operation was.

Only during the weekend after HealthCare.gov’s Oct. 1 opening did the president’s aides begin to grasp the gravity of the problems, the White House official said. Obama soon began getting nightly updates on the performance of the Web site, which has still been unavailable to Americans for hours at a stretch over the past week.

But that was still to come. A month earlier, on Sept. 5, White House officials visited CMS for a final demonstration of HealthCare.gov. Some staff members worried that it would fail right in front of the president’s aides. A few secretly rooted for it to fail so that perhaps the White House would wait to open the exchange until it was ready.

Yet on that day, using a simplified demonstration application, the Web site appeared to work just fine.

The NYT editorial board said Obama "misspoke" when he made his "If you like it" statement. Well, yeah, if you call saying something over two dozen times misspeaking.

The NYT editorial board said Obama "misspoke" when he made his "If you like it" statement. Well, yeah, if you call saying something over two dozen times misspeaking.

Do you really want to go down this road?

Ezekiel Emanuel's defense on Fox News Sunday of the "you can keep it" line was embarrassing. When you play the clip of President Obama saying "if you like your plan, you can keep it...period" it makes it very hard to defend what is going on.

If only the government would impose itself into private businesses and take them over like the car industry...

CH, why so few carriers on the NC exchange? Are these really the only folks offering individual plans up to this point? I don't know, but I do know that in the past few years I had to purchase on the individual market and did so not via BC/BS or Coventry. So are some carriers that did supply now not able to on the exchange? Or what???

I assume all this varies state to state. And I'm wondering if there are places where some large/national companies are in a position to lose out under the exchanges??? Or not?

I posted on this someplace but cant find it. I think it boils down to a few things...

-Its a lot of work. So the nationals were judicious. If you look at where they filed, this seems reasonable.

-Its risky.

-Its strategic. Many nationals used this time to focus on the large group & govt business while the Blues and regional worked through the exchange issue.

-They were smart. They knew it was gonna be a mess so they decided to let us suckers do all the heavy lifting.

Who knows but the nationals did sit out in a lot of states...

Last edited:
Last edited:
Emanuel was on Morning Joe this morning. They played about a 2 min clip of Pres Obama repeating the "you can keep it" line about 25 different times and then they look to Emanuel for a response. His spinning and back pedaling is really embarrassing. I don't know how he could do it with a straight face. Chuck Todd brought up a great point. Why didn't the President say "some of you have really crappy insurance...we are going to make sure you are going to have minimal standards at a cheaper cost. We are going to make it better"? Why would they repeat the "you can keep it" line over and over again when they knew at least 5% of the population (no small potatoes) couldn't keep it.

Question?

Policies for peeps who now have no insurance will have co-pays and deductibles??

From my understanding the lower / no income might qualify for subsidized deductibles and co-pays, no?

Back