• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

Disillusioned Citizen -- http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304527504579171710423780446?mod=WSJ_Opinion_LEADTop

I found this assertion most interesting -- Before the Affordable Care Act, health-insurance policies could not be sold across state lines; now policies sold on the Affordable Care Act exchanges may not be offered across county lines.

edit for RJ -- this guy lives in/near San Diego.

The reason this person can't keep the coverage is the insurance company pulled out. If United stayed, the coverage would have been in place.

clearly the policy she had far exceeded the minimum coverage. It was united Health's decision that cost her the policy.

http://roanoke.com/news/2340451-12/headache-begins-where-health-insurance-ends.html

"In two words, Rob Lawson of Roanoke County can sum up the most recent controversy surrounding the Affordable Care Act: "That's me."

...Last month, Lawson received a letter from his insurance company, informing him that his plan was being cancel ed to meet the requirements of the new health care law.

Lawson, who is self-employed, said he liked his plan of about 10 years with Anthem just fine: A high deductible of $10,000 for himself, his wife and three children, with unlimited coverage after that.

Most recently, Lawson had been paying $597 a month for the plan. After getting his notice of cancellation, Lawson said, he checked with an insurance broker and was told that the cheapest plan available on the government marketplace would cost him $1,200 a month plus fees and taxes. And the deductible would increase to $12,500."

This is fucked up
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/11/02/242597387/adding-to-insurance-confusion-outside-groups-try-to-cash-in
"Thirty or so attendees at St. Mary Primitive Baptist Church in Tallahassee, Fla., gathered on a recent evening to hear a presentation by the Obamacare Enrollment Team on their options to get insurance under the Affordable Care Act.

"If anybody is interested in getting enrolled, we can get you enrolled tonight," they were told.

Signs outside the church looked official: A familiar, large "O" with a blue outline, white center and three red stripes.

But the presenters, Pastor H.B. Holmes and Katrina Copeland, are not part of the federal government, nor are they credentialed by the federal government to be "navigators."

"I'm a registered lobbyist with the Senate and House, so I don't have to have a navigator license," Copeland said. "I have my credentials from the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives."..

Disillusioned Citizen -- http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304527504579171710423780446?mod=WSJ_Opinion_LEADTop

I found this assertion most interesting -- Before the Affordable Care Act, health-insurance policies could not be sold across state lines; now policies sold on the Affordable Care Act exchanges may not be offered across county lines.

edit for RJ -- this guy lives in/near San Diego.

A couple of points:
She had a catastrophic policy last November when she was profiled in the AARP Magazine, not a PPO.
Ms. Sundby is quite wealthy.

Last night Pres Obama said "we" said all along that if you like your plan you can keep your plan if/unless.... That might have been what was in the bill but that was certainly not what you (not we) said.

I can't believe he is doubling down on this.

Last night Pres Obama said "we" said all along that if you like your plan you can keep your plan if/unless.... That might have been what was in the bill but that was certainly not what you (not we) said.

I can't believe he is doubling down on this.

*At this point, what difference does it make?"

If he were rational, he would have taken the republican's offer to delay back in Oct. This is a trainwreck, with plenty of violence to people's healthcare options still to come. My guess is that the WH lies and misdirections on this are just beginning...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57610797/healthcare.gov-ducked-final-security-requirements-before-launch/

"Agency head Marilyn Tavenner accepted the risk and "mitigation" measures like frequent testing and a dedicated security team. But three other officials signed a statement saying that "does not reduce the risk" of launching October 1.

Georgetown Law professor Lawrence Gostin is a big supporter of the Affordable Care Act. He helped Congress write the law to meet constitutional standards. But he's critical of the launch without proper security.

"Nothing can undermine public confidence more than the fear of a security and privacy breach," Gostin said. "You could have somebody hack into the system, get your Social Security number, get your financial information."

Last edited:
BYURfjHCQAAfpur.jpg:large

"If you had or have one of these plans before the Affordable Care Act came into law and you really like that plan, what we said was, you could keep it if hasn't changed since the law's passed," added Obama.

Did he?

That recollection seems, well,...audacious.

Anyone care to defend yesterday's statement?

What website did you get that from?

Steve Elkington, former PGA Champion, has a pretty cool golf website called SecretInTheDirt.com. His cartoons tend to focus on golf, but every now and then he'll slip in a political one.

He nailed this one.

I was joking obviously, but I didn't know about the Elkington connection. That does explain the name.

I was joking obviously, but I didn't know about the Elkington connection. That does explain the name.

I'm figuring most people would look at the name of the website and think it was some Tin Foil Hat society.

Steve Elkington, former PGA Champion, has a pretty cool golf website called SecretInTheDirt.com. His cartoons tend to focus on golf, but every now and then he'll slip in a political one.

He nailed this one.

I'm surprised he didn't work in "Hefty."

"If you had or have one of these plans before the Affordable Care Act came into law and you really like that plan, what we said was, you could keep it if hasn't changed since the law's passed," added Obama.

Did he?

That recollection seems, well,...audacious.

Anyone care to defend yesterday's statement?

I don't know. "Period" sounds a pretty open-ended caveat.

so dumb to try and spin this. The best thing Obama could do is just say, lookit, a lot of compromises had to be made to get this legislation through and there were a lot of talking points on both sides that didn't turn out to be true (death panels). Now let's start talking about all the uninsured people who are going to get insurance (as soon as we get that damn website working).

it's a debacle and trying to spin it just creates more ridicule.

so dumb to try and spin this. The best thing Obama could do is just say, lookit, a lot of compromises had to be made to get this legislation through and there were a lot of talking points on both sides that didn't turn out to be true (death panels). Now let's start talking about all the uninsured people who are going to get insurance (as soon as we get that damn website working).

it's a debacle and trying to spin it just creates more ridicule.

Right. It's not like there aren't positives to lead with. That he would attempt to row that particular boat uphill on dry land---in the face of those facts----is so arrogant I almost dig it. It's President Bartlett-esque....except this one won't end nearly as well.

This is the kid who just dropped the glass and broke it instinctively bending down to pick it up without thinking it through. My man...that piece of glass is going to stay broken, and you're only going to cut your hand trying in vain. Just take your lumps and move on.

Last edited:
Back